Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help please

L

logyk

VIP Member
I am going to have to leave my Cali for some 5 months over winter, probably without the possibility of electrical hook-up.

Any ideas on what I can do to protect the vehicle in general, and the batteries in particular ?

I will shortly be parking my Cali up for the winter and would appreciate any available advice.

I was advised by my dealer to disconnect the main battery, but a friend whose opinion I trust suggests this may not be a good idea if :

1. The battery is of the lead/acid variety since it will be damaged by being left as it will discharge even if disconnected

2. Disconnecting the battery may cause the alarm to operate.

Any thoughts, ideas or advice ?

This is now an urgent request as storage commences on Tuesday of this week !

Logyk

I'm no expert on parking up campervans, however some lessons I've learned parking up motorbikes and caravans.

Make sure it's well drained (your fresh water tank and pipes)
Try if you can to park it up on a dry day after you have washed, polished and dried it off. Give it a run round the block to dry off brake discs and pads (helps stop them from seizing)
Grease door hinges, runners etc.
Make sure it's got mostly a full tank of fuel as this I was told reduces the condensation that gathers on inside of an empty tank when left for long periods. Used to always do this with motorbikes left over winter.
If you can leave the handbrake off put it in gear and chock the wheels this saves your brake pads seizing on.
As it's a campervan, suggest you take out any supplies or items that would encourage wildlife (a friendly we mice family) from taking up residence.

As for the battery if you can't charge where it's parked up, then are you able (or a friend) to take out the battery occasionally take it home and charge it? The advice you got is correct, in that it will still slowly discharge if sitting how fast is dependant on how cold it is and how new or tired your battery is.

Hope some of this of help. Suspect others on this forum have more experience from parking up campers or motorhomes

A further thought........

If, as has been suggested on another thread, the EHU does send some charge to the engine battery, would it be safe to rely on the EHU to keep all batteries topped up, provided they are all well charged at the outset ?

I can probably arrange EHU on a permanent basis whilst I am away, so need to know if I can use this to keep the engine battery in good condition.

Any help much appreciated.

It should trickle a little into the van battery and keep you topped up :thumb can't see it being a problem

I would be tempted to open all the cupboards, fridge etc to let a little air flow around.

Good thinking.....I will do that.

I also have a tray of water absorbent flakes which will hopefully take some of the moisture out of the air inside Wanda.

Still cannot decide whether to connect a conditioning battery charger to the main battery as well as connecting the EHU. Could this be harmful ?

You may have gathered that electrics are not my strongest suit !

Well I have put my beloved Cali into storage for the winter.

Managed to get an electricity supply organised so used the EHU. I was reassured to see on the Control Panel that both battery symbols were showing that they were on hook up - so I hope that this will take care of all the batteries for the next 5 months.

Right.....where have I put my skis :p :thumb :p

Back