Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wishing to convert from motorhome

We've had two motorhomes with all the home comforts, fixed beds, tv/dvd, satellite tv, toilet, shower, oven, fridge/freezer and guess what? We hardly ever used them. They were big and clumsy, they were terrible on fuel and it seemed a chore organising a trip off in them. Most of the year they sat on the drive, going green and taking up space. We now have a beautiful Cali (which actually cost more than either of the motorhomes) but hey we use it at the drop of a hat. It gets used as a luxury car most days for general running about and picking up the grandkids and we can't wait to jump in it and go and stay a couple of nights at weekends with zero planning beforehands. It's always in a state of constant readiness with only the fridge waiting to accept the booze. We feel sorry for people in their big motorhomes when we see them, but we do slightly envy them their loos! We'd never go back to something huge and we don't know why we didn't see the light sooner.

Planing to hire a Cali for a week in September, this should help give us both some idea of what to expect with ownership

Planing to hire a Cali for a week in September, this should help give us both some idea of what to expect with ownership

That is exactly what we did, we hired for 4-5 days. I think we were quite lucky with the weather in that there was a wide variation which gave us a good feel. If we could cope in the bad, the good would be so much easier. This was us:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/view-from-of-your-van.11132/page-17#post-144704

We hired as near to what we wanted so 204 Ocean, DSG , awning but no 4WD.

I must admit, it didn't take long to realise how comfortable and effortless it was to drive and the mirrors make the all around vision fantastic. You sit amongst the gentry being so high off the ground. Great for looking over hedges on country lanes. I'm more excited about the potential of this vehicle than I have with any I've ever had or likely to have.

It was the wife's idea to change, I was really hesitant too, determined not to like it, she was 100% correct. I always knew she was a smart cookie.

Teejay

That is exactly what we did, we hired for 4-5 days. I think we were quite lucky with the weather in that there was a wide variation which gave us a good feel. If we could cope in the bad, the good would be so much easier. This was us:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/view-from-of-your-van.11132/page-17#post-144704

We hired as near to what we wanted so 204 Ocean, DSG , awning but no 4WD.

I must admit, it didn't take long to realise how comfortable and effortless it was to drive and the mirrors make the all around vision fantastic. You sit amongst the gentry being so high off the ground. Great for looking over hedges on country lanes. I'm more excited about the potential of this vehicle than I have with any I've ever had or likely to have.

It was the wife's idea to change, I was really hesitant too, determined not to like it, she was 100% correct. I always knew she was a smart cookie.

Teejay
Also makes stopping at Services almost a pleasure.

View attachment 15214 anyway visited the local dealers again today having another look. Liked everything even Caroline was impressed with the "California " want a 204 DSG 4 motion.
Hi Smudger we got our Cali from Preston and they took our car and motorhome in px. Obviously we could have got more money selling them another way but we just like the easy life.

Hi Smudger
I'm up for hiring a T6 Cali as a first toe in the water. I'm in Rochdale so Preston not too far away , can you say which company you found please?

Hi Smudger, welcome and hope you found a solution for your needs. September is close and I look forward to read your review and conclusion.