Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Woolacombe or Brockenhurst ...?

Strong

Strong

Chris & Karen
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Looking to dash away for Fri/Sat the weekend after next.

Thinking the weather will be a bit like it is now (cloudy/drizzly/13deg). So, that being so, where would you go? I'm looking for something within an hour and a half's striking distance, so I've narrowed it down to North Devon or New Forest.

Which would you pick ... and why?

Cheers all

New Forest is great but it has to be the seaside for me. I love North Devon. I don't normally go for large sites but consider Ruda at Croyde which is two beaches south of Woolacoombe. It is large and can be a bit noisy but it's right on one of the best surf beaches in the U.K. And also offers amazing walks out to Baggy Point. Visit Club Ruda at about 9pm on Sat evening for the cheesiest holiday camp entertainment you will find anywhere. Very Hi de Hi. :bananadance2

Brockenhurst is ok, a bit busy.

Woolacombe is one of my incredibly favourite places. The CAMC/CC&C site is excellent. A bit out of town if you just want to nip out for dinner and a glass of something, and Woolacombe has a few tacky teashops and bars but for me, the bay, Baggy Point, Morte point...... delightful, wonderful places to be.

Don't waste your time walking from Mortehoe to the lighthouse, boring road for most of the way, but from the bay along the coast path is superb. Equally don't bother with the dunes going towards croyde, drive past them, park up then walk to Baggy point.

Woolacombe definitely. Though when we were there last we had to cut our holiday short as the wind and rain were apocalyptic! That's August in the UK for you .....

It was for exactly the reason of the early season and the strong likelihood of unfavourable weather that I offered up the choice for recommendations. Don't get me wrong, if we were guaranteed decent skies, we'd be straight down to woolacombe.

the reason of the early season and the strong likelihood of unfavourable weather
Fair point. But I'd still head for the coast if it's in reach. At least the cafe's are still quiet this time of year if you need to run for cover.

Just had a thought for an alternative site. There is a site in the centre of Croyde called The Orchard. It's in the village so handy for pubs and restaurants and still only a 10 min walk from the beach. Depends whether you want to take toys (i.e. Surfboards / kayaks) to the beach. If yes then Ruda saves and hassle with driving (and has amazing views). If no then being in the village would rock the boxes.

I loved Croyde but I am sad to admit it's no longer big enough for the volume of visitors. I only tend to go there now out of season, its just too crowded in summer and loses it's charm when it is.

This is why South Devon and Dorset has been a regular place for visits in recent years, not as overcrowded, cleaner and dare I say cheaper too.

I loved Croyde but I am sad to admit it's no longer big enough for the volume of visitors. I only tend to go there now out of season, its just too crowded in summer and loses it's charm when it is.

This is why South Devon and Dorset has been a regular place for visits in recent years, not as overcrowded, cleaner and dare I say cheaper too.
Totally agree Matt. I don't go near the place in June, July and August. But the rest of the year (excepting school holidays) is still tolerable.

Totally agree, the only enjoyable time to go to places like Croyde, Woolacombe etc.. is outside of the summer season as its nice and quiet. It is great down there this time of year especially if you get a nice sunny day. Also make sure you checkout Barricane Beach where you can have a Sri Lankan curry on the beach.

https://www.facebook.com/Barricane-Beach-Woolacombe-163881457003060/?ref=page_internal

North Devon would be my choice and it won't be too busy at this time of the year! Enjoy your weekend.

Woolacombe would have my vote

Thanks all for your comments.
I've had the curry on the beach in Woolacombe before so I know that's cool.

Slightly biased seeing as it's local to me but Woolacombe all the way for me.
Though we prefer staying in Mortehoe and walking into Woolacombe, Morte Point is one of the most spectacular parts of the coast path that I've seen.
In terms of sites to stay at I would recommend Damage Barton if you like nice level hardstanding. They also have a brand spanking new toilet block just about to open, slightly biased again as I laid the flooring in there!
If you're not bothered about posh pitches then north morte farm is a firm favourite of ours, awesome views but don't expect anything like a level pitch unless you're one of the first ones there!

Try saunton sands near Braunton. Huge beach to walk and surf. Great campsite Lobbfields. Best carvery in the area is the Williams arms . Saunton sands is one of favourite places in the country.

+1 for Lobbsfield. Bus stop right outside. Braunton nice town.

If we are still going South around the Coast then the "North Devon" Aire at Appledore is delightful.

At this rate we will be at Sennen cove by Tuesday :D

As it is still so early in the camping season and there are probably lots of spaces in the sites, so I would probably take the advantage of one of the California's best features. Spontaneity.
About Wednesday of that week, see what the weather forecast is looking like. If bright and sunny go for a coastal break where you can park up and look at the superb views from your site.
If it's not looking so good go for a more sheltered site inland where you won't be so exposed to the weather and are able to go on walks with dry pubs to come back to afterwards.
This is not so good when in full season or school holidays. A 2-3 day break you can manage on the batteries in the Cali for the fridge without needing a hook-up. Get the fridge cold before you switch it on with ice packs or plug the Cali into your home power supply. Then you should be arriving at the site with a practically full set of batteries meaning you can be totally flexible. Simon

Back