Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Woops! moments

Years ago we returned from Spain with our VW Polo, speeding on the Belgian motorway. Were overtaken by a Belgian police car and forced to stop. Sternly looking copper asked if we were suffering from the heat. We: ?!? He then pointed at the tailgate of the Polo. Wide open.

Marc.

Drove in a underground parking-space of 1.9m. I was sure the cali was lower than 1.9m.... A harsh lesson. Luckily i only scratched the side canopy a little...

Where have you parked your Cali, later returning to it to find that you never locked it?

For me, the only place this has happened is on our driveway at home. Multiple times.

We do not usually lock ourselves into our van when sleeping in it overnight, but that is deliberate.
Our car is a vw polo and we use the van as our second car. I’m always clicking the wrong key and have to keep checking both. Once at the gym car park (me & hubby travelled from 2 different locations and met up) I unlocked the van instead of locking the polo so they were both unlocked, doh.

I have a yellow silicone key cover now on the van one, but still try and unlock the polo with the van key at work!!

This week I was roaring down the Autoroute when a big Merc pulled alongside and kept hooting. Ignored him at first.... why hoot when passing me? then noticed he was pointing vigorously to the back of the van. Stopped on the hard shoulder to find that I had lowered the towball bike rack, and bikes, so I could open the back door and forgotten to push it back into place .Idiot! I had noticed a funny scraping noise..........

I did exactly the same at Blackpool Sands beach for a couple of hours, the last door i shut was the sliding one, locked it and walked away forgetting the tailgate was up. Same as you, van fully loaded up and nothing missing.
At the recent Slimbridge 'do', I went for breakfast at the black shed and returned to find I had left my tailgate open. Luckily, nothing was taken...the field was full of 'unsavoury' types

First trip in a campervan, borrowed from my sister, heading to Ireland

'Take care and bring it back in one piece.'

In 3 wonderful weeks. I never forgot to start the day driving left, managed all roundabouts correctly, did not smash the mirrors in the hedges along the single-track roads and never shifted in reverse at full speed while this was just a 4-speed. All went well.
Until the last night, where I parked the van neatly on the river banks behind a big rock.

'Did you see that rock?'
Sure... It's still more than a meter away
'But you can't see it from here.'
No, but I will remember.

Next morning we had our breakfast, lowered the roof (roof locked: check), fastened the gas bottle (gas bottle fixed: check) and started the engine. And while my wife was looking at me, not saying anything, I slowly pulled off and hit the rock.

Lucky me: the T4 Transporter has a sturdy fixed towing eye.

'Did you see that rock?'
Sure... It's still more than a meter away
'But you can't see it from here.'
No, but I will remember.

Next morning we had our breakfast, lowered the roof (roof locked: check), fastened the gas bottle (gas bottle fixed: check) and started the engine. And while my wife was looking at me, not saying anything, I slowly pulled off and hit the rock.

Lucky me: the T4 Transporter has a sturdy fixed towing eye.
:oops:

Only been a Cali owner for 24hrs and already had a couple of “whoops”
1) realised I was wearing flip flops when dealer said wow your brave when picking up my brand new pride and joy.
2) took five litre water bottle to test taps- forgot funnel so could fill - didn’t screw cap back on and emptied four litres into front passenger footwell on journey home (3 hours and five towels later)
3) connected to house electric panic no plug sign - forgot about breaker.
:rolleyes: