Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Word of Warning, if you have a Spare Wheel.

I've fixed two punctures with tyre string. They've both subsequently held the air, so it's a thumbs up from me.

Informative thread, thanks. Another point is lowering the spare wheel. Already posted on this forum but still important: Watch your fingers! Reading the manual first could help, but is often not done (like me).

Agree.

Use the handle of the Wheel Spanner, after having removed the Screwdriver, and slide it into the slot between the 2 Bolts after removing the R side bolt and slacking of the L captive bolt by about 1.5cm. Push the handle in with the little nuckle on the side and rotate the handle to locate the nuckle in the slot on the carrier. It is then easy to lift and slide the carrier to the R to disengage from the captive bolt and lower to the ground.
AB0AA19C-6865-4078-9C96-D85C7ABC9EFE.jpeg

9AD57F24-6CA7-4B5D-A8B6-994066413070.jpeg

Last edited:
Agree.

Use the handle of the Wheel Spanner, after having removed the Screwdriver, and slide it into the slot between the 2 Bolts after removing the R side bolt and slacking of the L captive bolt by about 1.5cm. Push the handle in with the little nuckle on the side and rotate the handle to locate the nuckle in the slot on the carrier. It is then easy to lift and slide the carrier to the R to disengage from the captive bolt and lower to the ground.
View attachment 33095
That is the one thing that the vw wheel brace is good for, as i now
use a more snazzy socket and extendable bar i forgot about that trick.
Its a struggle to get the wheel back up without it.

How bad can this get? … Well a very great deal worse!
So I collect my 08 reg SE last week & as part of a final inspection/check I ask the guy to check if the spare wheel was there. Says it is, but no it's not. Off he goes, coming back with it, but I notice it's slightly oversize at 225/65/R16, the vw specs indicating 215 or 205 … /65/R16. Being aware from my previous 07 SE that this is a tricky operation I comment that it might be tricky to fit.

Anyway, to cut a long tale short, only after I suggested deflating the tyre a fair bit and after having stripped the "socket" thread for the lh bolt so that it became unusable off I go back to Exeter where the Carrs VW van Centre remember me from the previous SE (who wouldn't when the roof mechanism failed & the entire roof system and interior was stripped out to repair (+£5K!!!) and provide an as new steel wheel to replace the rusty mess that must at some time have lurked under the SE for anything up to 10 years. So new tyre fitted, the fitter wrestled the wheel back in place (I chose a 205 for the spare specifically because of the b*****rd job this is) he confirmed the lh bolt retaining thread was shot, but that there was just enough space above to use a bolt & nut approach at least as a temporary fix.
Anyway, I trundle back to Carrs & explain the situation. Obviously not that uncommon a problem since VW supply a replacement plate for the 2 bolts to screw to.

And here's the fun bit … the replacement plate has to be welded into place and the job involves removing the back bumper, the tow bar & electrics. They're going to get me a quotation for when I come in next Friday for an aircon re-gass & their £26 vehicle check.

Meanwhile, I'm off to source a suitable stainless steel bolt & nut. & will carry tools to undo in case the AA doesn't carry them, unlikely as that might be!

Are the carriers deeper on later Calis to hold wider profile tyres?

The carrier is the same, its the bush that is a different length.
View attachment 34579
I have been reading this thread, as I have just received my new Cali O - 4 Motion, with 18 Disc Alloys.
I asked the dealer to include a spare wheel (as I knew that it only came with the repair kit/compressor). However the dealer who knows very little about Cali's said he was not able to 'attach', or mount the spare underneath. So I asked for the spare anyway ... I am no expert though it reads like it's a 16".

Questions:
1) Can I have a spare wheel attached under my 4 motion Cali?
2) For the kit ... it looks like I require a spacer sleeve + the right bush for rim size, a pin ... as per the pictures in the thread? Where did that picture come from?
3) Looking at the attached photo's ... it is a 16" isn't it? - in which case will that be ok with the 18" ??? can someone help ... I should have a 17" ? Thanks.
Cali tyre 1.jpg
Cali tyre 2.jpg

Last edited:
1 yes
2 not required
3 the dimensions of the 16” tyre should end up with the same overal circumference as your 18

Edit: but as @WelshGas says you will need a 17”

Last edited:
1 yes
2 not required
3 the dimensions of the 16” tyre should end up with the same overal circumference as your 18

Hi Loz - thanks for replying ... I assume I do need the kit in order to attach the spare under the boot. As currently there is no bracing there ... just a space where a spare could go.

Hi Loz - thanks for replying ... I assume I do need the kit in order to attach the spare under the boot. As currently there is no bracing there ... just a space where a spare could go.
Yes, you'll need the Spare wheel carrier kit. However the 16" wheel will NOT fit the front wheels as I believe the 204, in common with the 180 T5.1, has larger callipers on the front. A 17" Steel wheel will work and can be accommodated in the Spare Wheel Carrier. With the correct tyre on the 17" will have the same circumference as your 18" alloy/tyre combination but should be treated as a " Get you to the Garage " wheel only.

You need the carrier suitable for a 17 inch spare

Yes, you'll need the Spare wheel carrier kit. However the 16" wheel will NOT fit the front wheels as I believe the 204, in common with the 180 T5.1, has larger callipers on the front. A 17" Steel wheel will work and can be accommodated in the Spare Wheel Carrier. With the correct tyre on the 17" will have the same circumference as your 18" alloy/tyre combination but should be treated as a " Get you to the Garage " wheel only.
Hi - I now have had a quote from the main VW Cali dealer here for the bits in order to mount a spare tyre on my 4M Cali. I have attached the quote for anyone else who has 18" alloys without the factory fitted spare. Sounds like the recommendation is 17" as the spare. So I plan to hunt down a second hand 17" rim/tyre, and buy the rest of the bits new. Thanks everyone for your help.Cali spare wheel.PNG

Last edited:
However the 16" wheel will NOT fit the front wheels as I believe the 204, in common with the 180 T5.1, has larger callipers

Arrgh and I’ve just bought a 16” wheel and all the bits for our 204. Will try it first now before I struggle to get it underneath.

Arrgh and I’ve just bought a 16” wheel and all the bits for our 204. Will try it first now before I struggle to get it underneath.
You can put the 16" on the rear and use the 17" for the front if that's where your puncture is.
2 wheel swaps needed though.

I wouldn't bother trying it, just look at the front wheel brake disc and see how close the 17" wheel runs to it. Compared to the rear break disc where there is lots of space between the disc and the inside of the 17" rim.

Alan

Biggest problem with 18" or more wheels is that if you do have a 17" spare the punctured wheel/tyre won't fit the rack and has to be carried inside the van until repaired and refitted. Might be almost impossible with passengers etc.:eek:

Yes, fitting wheels outside the VW size range of 16" / 17" does cause problems if you plan on travelling off the beaten track.

Biggest problem with 18" or more wheels is that if you do have a 17" spare the punctured wheel/tyre won't fit the rack and has to be carried inside the van until repaired and refitted. Might be almost impossible with passengers etc.:eek:
Agree ... though I would rather have that problem than have no spare. With the two of us, well be fine. :thumb

Hi All - I about to order the bits required in order to get a spare tyre under my new 4M Cali. However I am trying to visualise where the bracket will bolt onto. Given I have a tow bar already on there, I am struggling to see where the bracket will bolt onto at the very back. Can anyone please send a picture? (as I am wondering if having a towbar 'hides' the original bolt holes? thanks

View attachment 20181207_114036.jpg

Back