Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheel changing

150 PSI torque setting for alloy wheels.

Dunno where you got that from but the correct setting us 180Nm. psi is pressure not torque.

The torque setting is important. If it's too much then it will distort the steel inserts in alloy wheels leading to problems. If too low its possible the bolts can come loose.

Didn't even noticed Rich typed Psi instead Nm :D

Dunno where you got that from but the correct setting us 180Nm. psi is pressure not torque.

The torque setting is important. If it's too much then it will distort the steel inserts in alloy wheels leading to problems. If too low its possible the bolts can come loose.
Steel inserts in alloy wheels? Really?

150 PSI torque setting for alloy wheels.

Thanks guys had a look in the handbook and it says 180Nm for steels and alloys on a Cali.
Whatever better than I've done n the past as tightness dependent on how many weetabix I had

Mike

Yes lots of alloy wheels have steel inserts pressed or shrunk into the alloy. Alloy can sometimes be fairly brittle compared to steel and could crack under the pressure from the bolts.
If you ever hit a curb with a steel wheel it will probably just bend, with an alloy it will likely take a chunk out or crack.

Sorry meant Nm. Got told 150 by a tyre fitter when I got new tyres.

Sorry meant Nm. Got told 150 by a tyre fitter when I got new tyres.
Not surprised Rich. I found a couple of guides on the web with one saying 150 and the other 180.

To be honest I've been very ignorant with torque settings until I got s carbon bike and now the Cali. I can vaguely remember using one many years ago when I replaced the head gasket on a Granada. Those days are long gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes lots of alloy wheels have steel inserts pressed or shrunk into the alloy. Alloy can sometimes be fairly brittle compared to steel and could crack under the pressure from the bolts.
If you ever hit a curb with a steel wheel it will probably just bend, with an alloy it will likely take a chunk out or crack.
Well something new learnt here. Must look closer when next I have a wheel off. Thanks.

Because as the rubber hardens, at the lower pressure you risk inducing cracking when you pump them back up.

Never heard that , could be , i should say if the tyres are that old the rubber hardens , time to get new tyres.

Yes, I've got genuine Minilites on my sports car & they have steel inserts, bought last year so still a current fitting.

Yes, I've got genuine Minilites on my sports car & they have steel inserts, bought last year so still a current fitting.
I live and learn. Every day is a school day!

I've just ordered a screw in quick alignment tool, two sizes available M12 & M14. I assume that the Transporter takes the M14, is that right?