Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Xenon headlights

• Thread starter smgcowfoldparts
  • Start date
smgcowfoldparts

smgcowfoldparts

Trade Advertiser
Just to let you know that when travelling abroad there is a 'Travel Mode' for the xenon lights which can be implemented. It does not convert them from right to left hand drive but does lower the lights to not dazzle oncoming drivers whilst travelling abroad.

Cheers

Me first :D

Join the queue you lot ....

Just to be clear, if I am correct. I'm sure Alex will confirm.

This mode is enabled prior to traveling and disabled on return to the UK so is not a permanent adjustment

Correct. All done with our diagnostic machine as xenons are self-levelling so plug in only. They do have a small kick-up to the left as well.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
Nothing, its a five minute job.

cheers

This is a good offer as I reckon many places would do you for half an hour labour on this.

smgcowfold said:
Correct. All done with our diagnostic machine as xenons are self-levelling so plug in only. They do have a small kick-up to the left as well.

cheers

Thought so. :thumb

This is odd, as we've never had any issues, as all ours have been level from factory, and checked on our beam setter I'm abroad, now and haven't been flashed once, I think this is unnecessary Alex??

I don't know how anyone abroad could tell if it was done or not but the option is there if required and requested by customers.

cheers

I think you misunderstood me.

We have never had this done to any of our xenon equipped vehicles (unless you've done it at pdi, without telling us?,, doubtful though). They are regularly taken abroad, by myself, at least half a dozen times a year, and lots more by customers, and never had any issues being flashed because our headlights are too high.

So this seems like something unecessary to carry out, but I appreciate you are offering it for free.

When we collected our new beach last week, he mentioned something tabout changing a setting via the menu to change to Miles (from KMs) and he said it did something with the lights, which is great as it was a real pain on my Audi. Do the Xenons not have levers then to switch from right to left ? .

They are flat from the factory...........

The xenons we adjusted yesterday have a slight kick up to the left and I would say that they all do.

Travel mode stops this kick up to the left dazzling other road users when abroad by lowering the projected light downwards and does not change the pattern just drops it down.

Other manufacturers have levers on/in the headlight which adjusts the lights and removes where this kicks up to the left and gives a flat pattern. My old Discovery 3 had this and was simple to do with removing the headlight and moving the lever to the correct position when driving abroad.

cheers

smgcowfold said:

cheers

Would you say travel mode is OK for UK driving too? So rather than keep popping in to a dealer before trips abroad the lights could just be left like this all the time?

Thanks

been using mine in travel mode since day one and never any problems as it is a neutral setting. On my previous car I also had it set on travel mode and it passed the MOT twice without problems. I am not sure why VW dont have a lever system like BMW and Mercs do as you can change it yourself.

skinnywhippet said:
smgcowfold said:

cheers

Would you say travel mode is OK for UK driving too? So rather than keep popping in to a dealer before trips abroad the lights could just be left like this all the time?

Thanks

I don't see why not, but will be down to user preference I think as to what you like.

Fryers! said:
been using mine in travel mode since day one and never any problems as it is a neutral setting. On my previous car I also had it set on travel mode and it passed the MOT twice without problems. I am not sure why VW dont have a lever system like BMW and Mercs do as you can change it yourself.

My old BMW's used to but my Merc has to go back to the dealer and be plugged in to have it adjusted like we do here for T5's. Mercedes don't charge either.

cheers

This is very interesting as I am currently waiting for a response from my local dealer with regards to changing mine.

We went to France 4 months ago and I wasn't very popular with the locals!

I was flashed 100/200 times and felt very guilty.

What I want to know is why mine are bad and oli's don't seem to cause any problems?

My Cali doesn't have Xenon headlights (2012 model) I was told by local dealer that couldn't have them. Is it possible to convert my lights and would it be hideously expensive??

Well my local dealer have just got back to me and said the only way my xenons can be adjusted is by plugging it into the computer.

They want to charge me £20 every time it's done! So very time I go abroad it's going to cost me £40 and I have to make a trip to the dealer before and after my trip.

Is it just me or does this sound ridiculous?

I have spent over £50k of a California which is designed for the sole purpose of traveling and they haven't thought about this???

Yet again VW amazes me!