Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Zeebrugge to Trier stop offs Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany!

Skylark2.0

Skylark2.0

The adventure with Starlight Expess begins
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We are scheming a trip and wondered if anyone has any recommendations of where to go?

Link to a great site that gives info on stopovers in whole Europe , many of them are free ....
These are the ones in Belgium
http://www.campercontact.com/en/belgium.aspx?map=1

Stay away from the Belgian coastline , not camperfriendly unless you vistit a camping. Hard to find a parkingplace on the road that allows campers and a Cali is one officially.
Brugge , there's Calibusje , member here who lives there can ask him thru PM
Gent has a site close to the city , taking the bus in to town.
Antwerp has two campsites thas gives acces by public transport in 10 min to centre
of Antwerp , museums , shopping , restaurants , architecture ,....top of the bill!
Brussels got a site within walking distance of the centre but think you need to book on advance.
Lier , also nice , two diffrent free camperspots walking distance to centre .
Goes on and on ....

What do you like to see ? Intrests ? Children with you ? How long stay ...just a stopover halfway driving thru?
The ones i give above are all close to one hour drive from Zeebrugge.
Closer to Luxemburg in the Ardennes the are more forrests/nature

Great information here, many thanks. I'm always a bit unsure of town camp sites but these will help greatly.

We like walking in the countryside. We also like good architecture and regional food. We travel with a teenage son and we prefer staying on campsites.

We want to spend most of the time in Germany so our son can practise his german!

Were there this summer through Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany
Standard places in Belgium worth going are Bruges (camper stop by minnewater park). Nice stroll through the park and into the centre of Brugges.
Ghent: was very difficult to stop. There are roadworks all over town and most of the car parks are max 1.9/2.0m high. Difficult town to get into. We drove around for 35mins and finally gave up. If you go, you must plan where you are going to park.
Brussels: passed through as my son wanted to seethe Atomium.
Liege: beautiful town only passing through.
Drove to a small town called Oberweiss close to Bitburg in Germany. Small town not so brilliant but the campsite is very good. In all my years in campsites I have to say their new shower block was the best. Lots of Dutch people so English widely spoken. Good point from which to visit Trier and Vianden in Luxembourg. Both are very worth visiting.
The south Eiffel nature park in teufelsschulft has the most amazing rock formations located through a forest I have ever seen. You can walk as much or a little as you like. Next the visitor centre is a small dinosaur park for the little ones.
We have a 14 yr old son.
Area with plenty walks and cycle routes.
Happy to PM you more info if you want.

Were there this summer through Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany
Standard places in Belgium worth going are Bruges (camper stop by minnewater park). Nice stroll through the park and into the centre of Brugges.
Ghent: was very difficult to stop. There are roadworks all over town and most of the car parks are max 1.9/2.0m high. Difficult town to get into. We drove around for 35mins and finally gave up. If you go, you must plan where you are going to park.
Brussels: passed through as my son wanted to seethe Atomium.
Liege: beautiful town only passing through.
Drove to a small town called Oberweiss close to Bitburg in Germany. Small town not so brilliant but the campsite is very good. In all my years in campsites I have to say their new shower block was the best. Lots of Dutch people so English widely spoken. Good point from which to visit Trier and Vianden in Luxembourg. Both are very worth visiting.
The south Eiffel nature park in teufelsschulft has the most amazing rock formations located through a forest I have ever seen. You can walk as much or a little as you like. Next the visitor centre is a small dinosaur park for the little ones.
We have a 14 yr old son.
Area with plenty walks and cycle routes.
Happy to PM you more info if you want.
Great information! Will use this in the planning, thanks.
We had EXACTLY the same experience in Ghent 18 years ago. Not trying it again after reading your comments. :Nailbiting
The south Eifel sounds great.
Our son is 15 so places that went down well with a teenager would be really helpful.

Our son likes sports, so the Prumtal campsite in Oberweiss was ideal. Has ping-pong, badminton, usual swings, swimming pool and a large field in the centre of the site to play football, fly your kite etc.. With stool ball, football and other acitivities organised during afternoons.
There is a small river passing through the site where most oft he Dutch children seemed to spend their time... Curios that they would spend the day building dams with stones - controlling the flow of water seems to be in their blood!
It has a good restaurant with take away pizzas etc..
The only thing I would say is that all the campsites in Germany are pretty packed with pitches being quite small. A double pitch cost us just 3euros more than single pitch-didn't see the logic... The pitches most sought after were those by the river.
Push your bike up a short steep hill just outside the site and you can Coast downhill for almost a couple of miles round trip back down through a forest and back to the campsite or cycle to the next town.
Campsite approx 1/2 hour from Luxembourg.
--------------------------------------------------------
There is just so much cycling/walking around the eifel region that it's best to get tourist info at the campsite but better at a tourist info office.
Downloadable guides to the eifel region here
http://www.nationalpark-eifel.de/go/eifel/english/Info_centre/Brochures_and_leaflets.html
A photo of our tourist info map below with points of interest we had marked.
image.jpg
P.s. My son very much enjoyed the chairlift rising up the forested mountainside to the castle at the top of Vianden. Very worthwhile!

Our son likes sports, so the Prumtal campsite in Oberweiss was ideal. Has ping-pong, badminton, usual swings, swimming pool and a large field in the centre of the site to play football, fly your kite etc.. With stool ball, football and other acitivities organised during afternoons.
There is a small river passing through the site where most oft he Dutch children seemed to spend their time... Curios that they would spend the day building dams with stones - controlling the flow of water seems to be in their blood!
It has a good restaurant with take away pizzas etc..
The only thing I would say is that all the campsites in Germany are pretty packed with pitches being quite small. A double pitch cost us just 3euros more than single pitch-didn't see the logic... The pitches most sought after were those by the river.
Push your bike up a short steep hill just outside the site and you can Coast downhill for almost a couple of miles round trip back down through a forest and back to the campsite or cycle to the next town.
Campsite approx 1/2 hour from Luxembourg.
There is just so much cycling/walking around the eifel region that it's best to get tourist info at the campsite but better at a tourist info office.
Downloadable guides to the eifel region here
http://www.nationalpark-eifel.de/go/eifel/english/Info_centre/Brochures_and_leaflets.html
A photo of our tourist info map below with points of interest we had marked.
View attachment 9786
P.s. My son very much enjoyed the chairlift rising up the forested mountainside to the castle at the top of Vianden. Very worthwhile!
This is a gold mine of information, thank you very much. Exactly the region we want to go to and the things we like to do :thumb

Glad I could be of help.
Do try the Bitburger Pilsner beer of the region, most definitely worthwhile.
We paid €0.80 for 500ml bottles at the supermarket...
Finally if you do decide on the campsite above, then do take a slightly longer hookup lead and the European adaptor as we had to buy an extension lead at a staggering €35! Captive market I think...
Hope you have a great holiday...