Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

‘Update Available’ message

amacken

amacken

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi everyone,

We took delivery of a new T6.1 Ocean a few weeks ago, very happy and this message board has been incredibly useful. I have noticed that 3 times in 4 weeks, when starting the vehicle there has been an ‘update available’ message on the digital cockpit with just an OK or cancel option.

Is there any way to find out what these updates are, or even if the updates have been applied? ‘Update Available’ implies that it is just waiting somewhere.

Thank you :)

Hi everyone,

We took delivery of a new T6.1 Ocean a few weeks ago, very happy and this message board has been incredibly useful. I have noticed that 3 times in 4 weeks, when starting the vehicle there has been an ‘update available’ message on the digital cockpit with just an OK or cancel option.

Is there any way to find out what these updates are, or even if the updates have been applied? ‘Update Available’ implies that it is just waiting somewhere.

Thank you :)
If you’re worried about clicking OK you can see available updates via your touch screen menu. I’ve just pressed OK in the past with no problems. VW delivers some updates ‘over the air’.

If you’re worried about clicking OK you can see available updates via your touch screen menu. I’ve just pressed OK in the past with no problems. VW delivers some updates ‘over the air’.
Thank you, I’ve pressed OK each time, I’m just curious what the updates are for, I couldn’t find an option to view details bit I’ll take another look.

I don’t believe the T6.1 has over the air updates, given VW can hardly make them work for their ID3 / ID4.

Could be wrong though but would be surprised.

I don’t believe the T6.1 has over the air updates, given VW can hardly make them work for their ID3 / ID4.

VW is obviously sending something over the air to give us the ‘update available’ message on the media pro screen?
Could check I guess by noting the current software versions in the vehicle (4 listed) and then checking again after okaying the ‘update available’ message, if and when it next pops up.

So just for comparison @amacken here are the software versions in my van which I believe are up to date.

94E6D294-21D8-435C-8159-2CD96772A09D.jpeg

B61EAB2B-F98D-4802-8D2E-A402B5B86439.jpeg

@amacken You might be able to see any outstanding updates if you go into System Information. They would show under each of the 4 categories.

542A6422-8AD3-40F7-89D6-FDB3584E9A34.jpeg

The T6.1 does have over the air updates, whether they work or not, I don't know.
It tells you that they are available & seems to do them, but there is never any information as to what has been updated.

Last edited:
The T6.1 does have over the air updates, whether they work or not, I don't know.
It tells you that they are available & seems to do them, but there is never any information as to what has been updated.

Interesting. I can’t imagine they are constantly connected to the Internet via SIM card (like Tesla).

Also guess there’s no WiFi connection, has anyone had to enter a WiFi network / password?

Maybe via Radio signal?

Interesting. I can’t imagine they are constantly connected to the Internet via SIM card (like Tesla).

Also guess there’s no WiFi connection, has anyone had to enter a WiFi network / password?

Maybe via Radio signal?

You don't need to imagine, it is constantly connected to the internet via the integrated sim. its how it downloads real time traffic for the sat nav, positioning if you make an SOS call etc etc, if you pay for data you can use it to stream music / internet radio.

Its also how we connect communicates with the van.

You don't need to imagine, it is constantly connected to the internet via the integrated sim. its how it downloads real time traffic for the sat nav, positioning if you make an SOS call, if you pay for data you can use it to stream music / internet radio.

Never knew that!

New for the T6.1 I assume?

Never knew that!

New for the T6.1 I assume?
Its on all new cars due to the new rules about automatic SOS calls in the event of an accident & giving emergency services positioning information.

A lot of Mercedes were recalled recently due to the positioning info being wrong.

"eCall (an abbreviation of "emergency call")[1] is an initiative by the European Union, intended to bring rapid assistance to motorists involved in a collision anywhere within the European Union. The aim is for all new cars to incorporate a system that automatically contacts the emergency services in the event of a serious accident, sending location and sensor information. eCall was made mandatory in all new cars sold within the European Union as of April 2018."

Its on all new cars due to the new rules about automatic SOS calls in the event of an accident & giving emergency services positioning information.

A lot of Mercedes were recalled recently due to the positioning info being wrong.

"eCall (an abbreviation of "emergency call")[1] is an initiative by the European Union, intended to bring rapid assistance to motorists involved in a collision anywhere within the European Union. The aim is for all new cars to incorporate a system that automatically contacts the emergency services in the event of a serious accident, sending location and sensor information. eCall was made mandatory in all new cars sold within the European Union as of April 2018."

Turns out I didn't know quite a lot, school day for me :)

I've always wondered how those SOS buttons work, I assumed they were voice only and not data.

Turns out I didn't know quite a lot, school day for me :)

I've always wondered how those SOS buttons work, I assumed they were voice only and not data.
In that case a bit of further reading from the highways agency:

Manual activation of the in-vehicle emergency call system

If you need to summon help as you are unable to follow our breakdown advice and move to an emergency area:

Keep your seatbelt on.
Turn your hazard warning lights on.
Activate your vehicle’s built-in emergency call system by pushing the eCall SOS button to contact a 999 operator.
The 999 operator will automatically receive your vehicle details including your location and direction of travel. Through your vehicle’s speaker system, they will then ask for further information to establish the nature of the emergency.

You can also use this system to report debris on the road or a vehicle travelling in the wrong direction.

If the emergency call system fails to work when you press the eCall SOS button, use your phone to call 999 for help.

eCall must only be used in an emergency requiring the police, fire service or an ambulance.

Do not use the emergency call system or press the eCall SOS button if you only require breakdown recovery or vehicle roadside assistance.

Automatic activation of the in-vehicle emergency call system

If you are involved in an incident that triggers your airbags:

your vehicle sensors will automatically activate the onboard emergency call system and send your vehicle details including your location and direction of travel when contacting a 999 operator
the 999 operator will use your vehicle’s built-in safety feature to speak to you, and ask for further information to respond quickly and appropriately
If you can, clearly tell the 999 operator you need urgent assistance.

If you are unable to respond to the 999 operator, your vehicle details will be automatically passed to the police.

Maybe via Radio signal?
Re’ Wi-Fi, I have a couple of Wi-Fi networks/passwords in my van’s ‘memory’. When it’s parked outside the house it automatically connects to my home network.

For comparison purposes @GrumpyGranddad . There were no new updates but something seems to be updating. Once I get a further notification I’ll be able to see now I’ve got a picture to compare it to.

View attachment 89262

View attachment 89263
That’s interesting @amacken
You have later versions of the Navigation DB and Radio DB than in my van. However, you also have different hardware and associated software so difficult to know whether I’m due an update? Not worried though as all is fine.

Back