Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2nd battery error message

In the case of ours, the cube fuse sits on rear(3rd) battery so yes, as you say it becomes isolated from everything else, but Roger used to connect his solar charger to the rear battery so there could be a case where his solar is quite happily charging the rear battery in isolation.
With relation to your 1st paragraph. I connected my Solar Panel input to the battery post clamp itself so that it is in fact the other side of the Cube Fuse.
If the Cube Fuse blows the Solar Panel will continue charging the rear Leisure Battery, but the Control Panel will not show the voltage increase due to the Solar Panel.

That display is not helpful and just wrong IMO it says 13V but also says less than 60AH, as the new monitor is based on a calculation of charge in and charge out I just don't think it has had enough cycles to correctly calculate the capacity.

Also, where on the battery is the Solar connected? is it on the correct side of the battery monitor?
It may be simply that the solar is charging the batteries but the battery monitor is not seeing it as the solar is directly connected to the battery posts?
Maybe the Control Panel just needs a Hard Reset as when it throws a wobbly with the Roof Sensors?

With relation to your 1st paragraph. I connected my Solar Panel input to the battery post clamp itself so that it is in fact the other side of the Cube Fuse.
If the Cube Fuse blows the Solar Panel will continue charging the rear Leisure Battery, but the Control Panel will not show the voltage increase due to the Solar Panel.
Yes, that illustrates my point about charging in isolation.

How can you tell if the 13v is actually from the battery & not just the output from the solar panel charger?

Could both batteries be 100% dead?

How can you tell if the 13v is actually from the battery & not just the output from the solar panel charger?

Could both batteries be 100% dead?
correct you can't, but I would have thought that the internal resistance of 2 dead batteries would drag that voltage down and the victron would be showing bulk not float...

...and easily checked tonight when the sun goes down :)

12.9 is fully charged so I think it's just the system needs to correctly calculate the capacity. Until it builds a discharge profile it will not be correct.

The only thing that was on was the lights at the back of the van. I assume they come off the leisure batteries?
12.9 is fully charged so I think it's just the system needs to correctly calculate the capacity. Until it builds a discharge profile it will not be correct.
Maybe the Control Panel is correct. It is showing the correct voltage and Greater than 60 amps available.
Despite having 2 Leisure Batteries with a total capacity of 150 amps only about 50% of that, 75 amps is available for use before shutdown, I think.

written like that I would say that means there is greater than 60H available

Managed to borrow a voltmeter today and the 2nd battery is showing 13.8. I am assuming the high charge than the normal 12.7 is because it was sunny and being charged from the solar. I think it’s a sensor failure or the logic/algorithm of what is shown has got confused?

Roger has changed how the solar is connected late last year. It can now be connected to the 3rd (rear) battery side of the fuse. The reason was to easily identify if the 3rd battery fuse has blown as the solar controller reads the 3rd battery only and the overhead consol (T5.1) reads the 2nd leisure battery so a significant difference indicates if the fuse has blown, they are quite delicate. This seems to be potentially the problem but as others have said that doesn't explain why the alternator and hook up have not charged the 2nd battery? Please check the 3rd battery fuse, it should be visible if blown but always better to check with a fused lead voltmeter either side of the fuse on the battery post itself.

Hi, I have a new California T6.1 and have managed to get away a few times including a quick trip to France. An error message “Second battery low” has appeared. I have 2 solar panels which have been working fine from Roger and was driven nearly 400 miles yesterday but the message still persists. I have plug into the mains this morning but no change.

Firstly I am not sure which is the second battery I.e. the one in the cupboard or under the seat? Secondly, I Was hoping there might be some advice on anything I can look at like a fuse? I have booked the van in later in the month but would be good to sort as off to the New Forest this weekend. Many thanks

View attachment 64348
Hi I got the same problem now and I also have the 2 solar panels from Roger……how did you solve the problem ?

Describe how you solar controller is connected.
I followed Roger’s manuals
( VictronConnect), it’s worked fine for 1.5 years, but batteries went low with the fridge on and cloudy days, so after I switched off refrigerator and charged from the mains, the low battery message didn’t disappear ‍♂️

If you are capable of refitting the cube fuse you should order some now. Even if that is not the problem it's good to have one or two on hand in the van. Order from 12 volt planet. Your van will have been fitted with a 75A one from factory but VW may have upgraded their MY 23 with a 100A version.

Next obtain a voltage reading from each leisure battery. You can do this by measuring on the rear battery above and below the cube fuse. If there is any difference the cube fuse is blown. Look at recent threads for good instructions and photos for replacement.

I discussed where the positive connection is made with Roger about a year ago and my understanding is that he has changed the ring terminal and fuse holder as I suggested. You may want to modify your setup to match this. Take a photo of your rear battery and I'll provide details.

If it's not your cube fuse post back for further analysis.

Edit: good photos and analysis here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/leisure-battery-now-only-charges-to-50.46072/

Last edited:
If you are capable of refitting the cube fuse you should order some now. Even if that is not the problem it's good to have one or two on hand in the van. Order from 12 volt planet. Your van will have been fitted with a 75A one from factory but VW may have upgraded their MY 23 with a 100A version.

Next obtain a voltage reading from each leisure battery. You can do this by measuring on the rear battery above and below the cube fuse. If there is any difference the cube fuse is blown. Look at recent threads for good instructions and photos for replacement.

I discussed where the positive connection is made with Roger about a year ago and my understanding is that he has changed the ring terminal and fuse holder as I suggested. You may want to modify your setup to match this. Take a photo of your rear battery and I'll provide details.

If it's not your cube fuse post back for further analysis.

Edit: good photos and analysis here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/leisure-battery-now-only-charges-to-50.46072/
Thank you very much. I charged it from mains last night and this morning it said 60hr however a few hrs later it said 8hr 40min. I went for a 40min drive and it was still on 8hr. 40min.
When I went back 3hrs later it showed 60hr again the whole way back.
During all this , it still shows only 2 blue bars and a red triangle. The dashboard display also write 2nd battery low

OK so Ill have to go to my dealer (not VW here in Japan ) so we can check and test over there. Would you be so kind to show me with a photo/drawing how the connection and fuse from vitctron to battery should be according to Roger and you, please.
I know my dealer already said we just need to change the batteries, so I wanna make sure its all setup correct.
Now about the cube fuse (I don't know anything about electrical stuff ha ha sorry) do you mean I should just change the fuse from 75A to 100A ? does it fit or do I have to change anything ? should I also change the fuse on the other leisure battery ?
I really appreciate you help....nobody knows anything about 6.1 here in Japan, since they VW don't sell this model here.

Please ignore the hours remaining, it's not useful information in my opinion.

In the photos you sent via PM I observe the following:
  • Low state of charge (20% or so) confirmed by your observation.
  • Normal fully charged voltages.
Analysis:

Possible causeProbabilityDiagnosisRemarks
Miswiring of solar charge controllerHighPost a good high resolution photo of the rear battery and connections. In particular look at the negative from the solar controller: it should be connected to chassis ground not battery ground.
Faulty sensorsLow
Sulphated batteriesLow to mediumObserve battery voltage sag with against load with the solar off. Post results.If your van receives regular solar the batteries should not sulphate. Mention if your van spends long periods locked up in the dark.
Cube fuseVery lowWith cube fuse problems we usually observe weird mismatches between the leisure batteries.
EHU and 100A split charge fuse blown simultaneouslyVery lowThe chances of both blowing independently and the batteries showing normal voltages are very low.

For now the cube fuse does not look like a possible culprit. There is only one cube fuse and it is fitted to the rear battery.

I suggest you look at the solar controller wiring as a possible cause. You need to get a good photo of the rear battery. Tools required: Coin, 13mm spanner and a paint scraper or similar (or strong fingers).

Last edited:
Observe battery voltage sag with against load with the solar off. Post results.If your van receives regular solar the batteries should not sulphate. Mention if your van spends long periods locked up in the dark.
My van is parked for 3 months once or twice a year in a garage with the solar panels connected, however, my wife charge from the mains once a month, could that be the problem ? do I need to disconnect the controller from the battery each time the van is parked for a long period ?
About the 75A to 100A fuse, do you have a part number ? The shop couldn't find any part number ?
if I understood you correctly you mentioned that VW also use the 100A now ?
I will check and snap photos when Im at the shop during next week, thank you !

Your batteries are most likely in perfect condition based on your care regime.

The Littelfuse part number (should be available in Japan) is 155.0892.5751

I would buy a 75A one as this size has worked for you for some years. Once again this is unlikely to be your current problem but the fuse is worth having on hand.

If your dealer replaces your batteries this will also reset your sensors which will make your present errors disappear until you use a lot of power and top up with "invisible" solar again.