Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1.5 metres

As the 4 way junction is on a curve the Cycleway is probably 1 or 2 metres shorter and of course there is traffic lights to cross and it would be dangerous for them to jump the lights. However, if they stay on the main road and weave through the traffic then they can cross on Amber or even Red as they can see the traffic on all 4 roads.

The only cyclists using the cycle path is the local postie and purely social cyclists - no lycra.

The Highway Code has guidance on the use of cycle lanes for cyclists:
===
Rule 63
Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white line (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). When using a cycle lane, keep within the lane when practicable. When leaving a cycle lane check before pulling out that it is safe to do so and signal your intention clearly to other road users. Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.
===
Using the road is not incompatible with this guidance, and it makes perfect sense that utility cyclists would use the cycle lane and mamils use the road.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Why do we all have a tendency to focus on our differences rather than our similarities? Two wheels or four, Beach or Ocean, Manual or DSG, catholic or Protestant

Wow. Not trying to wind anyone up but all I can say is I can't remember ever having been "threatened" by a cyclist, be-lycra'd or not. And TBH I really can't remember the last time I was mildly inconvenienced by one. Has the notion of defensive driving got lost somewhere? And we're the ones driving the three-ton lumps of metal.

Stay safe on the roads in 2019, whatever you're driving/riding.

I always give cyclists max room and time (waiting until I can genuinely see the road is clear before passiing) usually much to the annoyance of the car behind......but.....if a cyclist ever damages my bus then I’ll hurt him/her beyond his/her most hideous nightmare!

All clear? Good. Happy new year.

Don’t mention horses.

Oops - I just did! :D

Different categories of riders.
Road cyclists are traveling at far higher speeds and quite often travel at speeds that are similar to cars and mopeds.
99% of cycle paths are not designed for this type of activity...!!!

As far as I understand, there’s a 15mph speed limit on cyclepaths, so if you’re on a roadie/racer and in Lycra ;) you should probably be cycling on the road.

List in order of severity.
A) car scratched by cyclist leaving less than 1.5m in passing
B) cyclist paralysed by motorist leaving less than 1.5m in passing

I think we need to get a perspective on this matter. Careless driving kills cyclists. Careless cycling doesn’t kill motorists.

Very well put Tom. We need to consider the impact of what could happen, and treat vulnerable road users like they were our own loved ones and not just an object of frustration.

As far as I understand, there’s a 15mph speed limit on cyclepaths, so if you’re on a roadie/racer and in Lycra ;) you should probably be cycling on the road.

To correct my above statement:

There is currently no speed limit however,

“Most cyclepaths are designed for approximately 12 mph, and the Department for Transport say that cyclists going faster than 18 mph should use the road.”

You have missed the point Welshgas.
The cycle paths are not designed well enough to accommodate all cyclists.
I’ve ridden with various cycle clubs and 99% of club riders I ride with are considerate and ride to the rule of the law.

Most the arguments are the same here and I guess mostly unfounded and at odds with most of the cycling community.
“I saw a cyclist ride through a red light”.
“I saw a cyclist weave through traffic”.

I saw a driver unpunished for the following:
I witnessed a guy drink 10 pints and drive away from the pub.
Do I draw the conclusion that all motorist are drunks at the wheel...?

All traffic offences are offences you can’t pick and choose...

Ever done 33 mph in a 30...???
Thought so.
What makes this acceptable with the comparison of the cyclist weaving through traffic?
Well in this case the cycle path was designed in conjunction with major local cycle clubs.

The two riders abreast argument always pops up. But agree with other poster about lack of information Drivers just need education in how to handle the road with cyclists.
Unfortunately, it’s just a weakness in their driving skills that needs addressing.

It’s a bit like racism. In the 1970s it was out of hand. Overtime with education and awareness we have turned things round for the better. I believe the anger towards cyclists is a very similar situation to the racism problem in the UK back in the 70s/80s

Are you for real??? Common sense when on a bike you should pull in to stop any potential accidents. And yes I do ride a bike! People need to get a brain in this world, no wonder this country is in a sh@t state with the ridiculous thoughts of people.

Anyway happy new year to the normal people in this world

Are you for real??? Common sense when on a bike you should pull in to stop any potential accidents. And yes I do ride a bike! People need to get a brain in this world, no wonder this country is in a sh@t state with the ridiculous thoughts of people.

Anyway happy new year to the normal people in this world
PJM-84 yes

I lost a few riding buddies to the road so moved across to the MTB. However the road bike has been taken off the trainer and is prepped for a ride. (there is only so much mud you can take).

I lost a few riding buddies to the road so moved across to the MTB. However the road bike has been taken off the trainer and is prepped for a ride. (there is only so much mud you can take).
Sorry for the loss of your buddies, i ride a mtb, I have tried road but found it a tad boring after riding off road all my life.
Just make sure you all stay safe out on your rides!

A guy was killed last week round here.
Driver said he didn’t see him because of the low winter sun.
Very unfortunate accident.

My road bike stays in the garage between November and April. The state of the roads coupled with British weather takes the fun out of it.
But you can’t beat a Roadie on a beautiful crisp, sunny British morning or summer evening

I lost a few riding buddies
That’s awful. I’d always thought it was utility cycling which was dangerous - left turning HGV drivers who either don’t look or who cannot see due to flawed vehicle design, trapping some helpless commuter beneath their wheels.

I’d never thought of road cyclists of being in much danger. But I do have a very London-centric view of cycling. Over 50% of inner London households have no car so cycling is the only viable form of personal transport.

Well that stopped the thread dead. (No pun intended).

I started writing a list of four guys lost but it was bit poignant, and brought back some emotions, so hence this iteration.

But you can’t beat a Roadie on a beautiful crisp, sunny British morning or summer evening

I agree.

Completely agree. As a (motor)cyclist, I think every driver should be made to ride a bike on the road, motor version, or not.
I've always said this too, if every person for their bike test had to ride a moped for a while they'd appreciate all sides of the road users. SHould probably also have to sit in with a HGV driver for an hour too to appreciate their perspective.

I've lost a few friends too.

I've always said this too, if every person for their bike test had to ride a moped for a while they'd appreciate all sides of the road users. SHould probably also have to sit in with a HGV driver for an hour too to appreciate their perspective.

I've lost a few friends too.
I think part of the problem is the de humanisation rhetoric by some about cyclists. We hear the same about refugees and economic migrants, referred to as if “swarms” of locusts. In this the desperate human story of their plight from poverty or harm is lost.

It is hard to see a clergyman cycling from vicarage to an old folk’s home as anything other than a clergyman. Dress him in Lycra, put a helmet on his head and obscure his eyes with yellow goggles and he becomes to some an obstruction on the road.

The Dutch and Danish get it right - they stick to normal everyday clothing for cycling. Same too in some British university cities.

I think part of the problem is the de humanisation rhetoric by some about cyclists. We hear the same about refugees and economic migrants, referred to as if “swarms” of locusts. In this the desperate human story of their plight from poverty or harm is lost.

It is hard to see a clergyman cycling from vicarage to an old folk’s home as anything other than a clergyman. Dress him in Lycra, put a helmet on his head and obscure his eyes with yellow goggles and he becomes to some an obstruction on the road.

The Dutch and Danish get it right - they stick to normal everyday clothing for cycling. Same too in some British university cities.

Or all dress-up as vicars? Or tarts and vicars? That might be fun!

Oddly enough.
People have more patience when they see the huge baby carrier on the back of my mountain bike.
It’s not often I’m on the road, stick to cycle paths as much as possible when I carry my little one.
But when I do hit the road on that bike, motorists are much better behaved and more considerate.
Why can’t they be this sensible regardless and appreciate its a human life on two wheels. Father, mother, son or daughter etc.

Back