Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1.5 metres

Tell that to the cyclists who don’t use the provided cycle paths at road junctions around our way and instead weave in and out of the traffic.
If the vehicle is stationary at lights or parked then the cyclist should Also maintain a 1.5 m safety distance from said vehicle at All times.
They probably feel the same as you when sat behind the wheel of their car...????
Not to disagree with your feelings about not using cycle paths...I feel the same just so long as they aren't so ill maintained that they are dangerous. If I stuck to the one closest to where I live I'd get struck by low branches, get outed from the saddle by tree roots and flung off by the loose debris, drains and puntures from the glass where motorists have rear ended each other.
Its a big subject.

1.5m on passing?. I’d be in the field as they are 3 wide chatting about how their Lycra makes them faster at 15 stone.

Where I live I’d say 80% of road cyclists are complete c@#ts

Some inconsiderate people ride bikes and some drive cars! Some do both.

I do quite a lot of leisure cycling but do not find it enjoyable sharing busy roads with cars. Fortunately we have quite a few miles of cycle paths and (bumpy) canal paths nearby.

There is a section of road with a dedicated cycle path running alongside I use quite often. The road has double white lines in the centre and a white line each side about 1 metre from the kerb. I was cycling along one day when I saw a bike approaching, not on the cycle path but on the road. Not only on the road, and not even inside the white line next to the kerb, but about 1 meter outside it such that the following cars could not overtake and were queued up behind! o_O

On another route I use in Colwyn Bay there is a cycle path running along the prom. Pedestrians walk across this haphazardly, parked cars overhang it and in places fishermen block it with rods and tackle. One day I was almost doored passing a car with various fishing accoutrements alongside. Another hazard is dogs on extending leads. In the end you give up and go on the road with the cars. :headbang

We live near the Welsh border, and Wales being a popular place for the Lycra lads they travel in clusters 2 and 3 abreast on Sundays, making no attempt to ease the flow of traffic. I’m sure that most of these must also be drivers and I can’t understand why they do this.

In my car one day I was sitting at the traffic lights when a cyclist came up the inside and his pedal caught on the inside of my front wheel arch, causing considerable damage. Waste of time trying to get any recompense. :(

Many roads have a cycle lane each side, but these lanes often disappear when needed most - coming up to traffic lights. Yet, in other places the bikes have a box right at the front of the cars in the traffic light queue, a good recipe for causing grief between cyclists and drivers!

Before we moved I was fortunate enough to be able to cycle to work every day. However, this necessitated using a roundabout above the M53 where the road markings gave no thought to cyclists, as you had to cross the exit leading down on the slip road to the motorway and motorists thought that bikes had no right to traverse it!

I wish cyclists and drivers would be more considerate of each other, and road planners could understand the needs of cyclists more.

I wish cyclists and drivers would be more considerate of each other, and road planners could understand the needs of cyclists more.
In a nut shell....
Otherwise I'd have to beat myself up.

Peace and goodwill to all men (and women), even bikers, cyclists and drivers.

ALL road users should respect the rules of the Road and in order to enforce that ALL road users should have a minimum width of 5ft, including bicycles used on the road network.
Including pedestrians? Maybe in America.

Including pedestrians?
Hi viz vest with their NI number emblazoned!?

This really is a ridiculous suggestion. We really need to get a perspective on this matter. Cyclists kill perhaps two people per year - motorists kill more than that daily.

As a cyclist I have regularly felt threatened by motorists.

As a motorist I have never felt threatened by cyclists.

If I’m driving and I come across cyclists I slow down, wait, and pass when safe to do so. So simple.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Hi viz vest with their NI number emblazoned!?

This really is a ridiculous suggestion. We really need to get a perspective on this matter. Cyclists kill perhaps two people per year - motorists kill more than that daily.

As a cyclist I have regularly felt threatened by motorists.

As a motorist I have never felt threatened by cyclists.

If I’m driving and I come across cyclists I slow down, wait, and pass when safe to do so. So simple.

I was on your side... see the question mark? People die, everyday. That’s life. We need to minimise unnecessary ones.

I was on your side... see the question mark? People die, everyday. That’s life. We need to minimise unnecessary ones.
I know you were agreeing. I was backing up your calling out of the ridiculous suggestion that all road users should be identifiable. Motorists use the highway under licence, everyone else by right.

As cyclists have the right to use the road then they should be accountable for their actions the same as vehicle drivers.

Last edited:
As cyclists have the right to use the road then they should be accountable for their actions the same as vehicle drivers.
We all need to be accountable for our actions. The question should be about which classes of road users need to be licensed. I cannot see any good reason why cyclists or pedestrians should be licensed or their bikes registered to use the highway given the small amount of harm they cause to others.

They probably feel the same as you when sat behind the wheel of their car...????
Not to disagree with your feelings about not using cycle paths...I feel the same just so long as they aren't so ill maintained that they are dangerous. If I stuck to the one closest to where I live I'd get struck by low branches, get outed from the saddle by tree roots and flung off by the loose debris, drains and puntures from the glass where motorists have rear ended each other.
Its a big subject.
The cycle way junction I’m referring to is less than 1 yr old and in perfect condition, but no they weave through the cars instead of taking the cycle path which has its own junction crossing.

If cyclist stay off the road they won't get injured or killed.

Before anyone asks, I am a cyclist but I stick to the 1,000s of miles of cycle paths and trails so I can have stress free cycling.
I bike to work every morning mostly using bike lanes. Unfortunately people in cars have problems in crossings and are often indifferent to bikes when turning. I have close calls every day and got hit sideways by a car crossing a bike lane just last week. When I ride for workout I always ride on the road since it is much more safe from side trafic not looking before turning onto a road.

The cycle way junction I’m referring to is less than 1 yr old and in perfect condition, but no they weave through the cars instead of taking the cycle path which has its own junction crossing.
It sounds indefensible but I reiterate, this is not a cyclist thing nothing is....It's a people thing.
That being the whole story then you are witnessing an idiot on a bike more than likely he's the same guy/gal that blatantly cruises past the queue of traffic to his left hoping the lights go in his/her favour 100 yards further up the road, quickly indicate and push their bumper into a small gap and leave the vehicle behind who left a reasonable gap for safety no choice. If the gap doesn't appear because the queuing drivers have seen it all before the offender will nudge a few inches at a time until someone with a level head relents and lets them into the correct lane. I don't think they do this to be kind, they just restore some order to the chaos created. I see that all the time. But I stress its not because the offender is a motorist its because they are an ar***ole. Do I get hot under the collar when I see an idiot on a bike ? yes. Do I get hot under the collar when I see an idiot in a car? yes.
Behaviour on the roads does get mimicked once witnessed. Again this hold good and bad.
I use a bypass daily that is very busy and in general the traffic is overly courteous to motorcyclists with many cars dragging the nearside into the soft verge to let a bike go down the middle of the road. Equally at times the traffic can come to a standstill as tankers can't pass a cycle who has a person in control that refused to use the roman road adjacent to the bypass. No other word for it than IDIOT.
A bit off topic but..
Here is that very bypass and some of my dash cam footage just for a light hearted look please Please excuse EXPLETIVES or do not watch.

The two riders abreast argument always pops up. But agree with other poster about lack of information Drivers just need education in how to handle the road with cyclists.
Unfortunately, it’s just a weakness in their driving skills that needs addressing.

It’s a bit like racism. In the 1970s it was out of hand. Overtime with education and awareness we have turned things round for the better. I believe the anger towards cyclists is a very similar situation to the racism problem in the UK back in the 70s/80s

Do you think that cyclists do this to annoy motorists, or because they feel the bike lane design is somehow flawed: perhaps slower than the road alternative, or dangerous where it rejoins the main carriageway.

Do you think that cyclists do this to annoy motorists, or because they feel the bike lane design is somehow flawed: perhaps slower than the road alternative, or dangerous where it rejoins the main carriageway.
As the 4 way junction is on a curve the Cycleway is probably 1 or 2 metres shorter and of course there is traffic lights to cross and it would be dangerous for them to jump the lights. However, if they stay on the main road and weave through the traffic then they can cross on Amber or even Red as they can see the traffic on all 4 roads.

The only cyclists using the cycle path is the local postie and purely social cyclists - no lycra.

The only cyclists using the cycle path is the local postie and purely social cyclists - no lycra.

Different categories of riders.
Road cyclists are traveling at far higher speeds and quite often travel at speeds that are similar to cars and mopeds.
99% of cycle paths are not designed for this type of activity...!!!

Road cyclists are traveling at far higher speeds and quite often travel at speeds that are similar to cars and mopeds.
Oh that’s alright then. Just because they wear Lycra they are above the Law and can ignore the traffic lights because they travel so fast they are a special case.
No, frequently they are real deadheads with IQs in inverse proportion to the cost of their bikes.
Fortunately the local Police have not been ignoring them.
Respect should be given from both sides and round our way it is sadly lacking from the Lycra Brigade.

Before retiring I had a daily cycle commute which was mainly along a shared footpath/cycle track adjacent to the A27. The only challenging spot was negotiating the one lay-by along the route where cars and lorries insisted on parking on the path so that they could level their cabs for sleeping. If they'd thoughtfully left space to squeeze past, there was the trick of not riding through the puddles of urine (normally next the truck wheel so easy to identify). Dodging the human excrement in the dark kept me alert on the dark winter nights!

Oh that’s alright then. Just because they wear Lycra they are above the Law and can ignore the traffic lights because they travel so fast they are a special case.
No, frequently they are real deadheads with IQs in inverse proportion to the cost of their bikes.
Fortunately the local Police have not been ignoring them.
Respect should be given from both sides and round our way it is sadly lacking from the Lycra Brigade.

You have missed the point Welshgas.
The cycle paths are not designed well enough to accommodate all cyclists.
I’ve ridden with various cycle clubs and 99% of club riders I ride with are considerate and ride to the rule of the law.

Most the arguments are the same here and I guess mostly unfounded and at odds with most of the cycling community.
“I saw a cyclist ride through a red light”.
“I saw a cyclist weave through traffic”.

I saw a driver unpunished for the following:
I witnessed a guy drink 10 pints and drive away from the pub.
Do I draw the conclusion that all motorist are drunks at the wheel...?

All traffic offences are offences you can’t pick and choose...

Ever done 33 mph in a 30...???
Thought so.
What makes this acceptable with the comparison of the cyclist weaving through traffic?

Agree that in general cycle paths are not much practical use to anyone other than the most sedate of riders (nothing to do with lycra) , especially those "paths" that are just a designated bit of the normal road. In Chichester there's a roundabout with a green marked cycle path around the gutter of the road, which is fine but at each of the 6 exits the cyclist has to give way to exiting traffic. So if you're a competent rider it makes more sense to use the roundabout as any other road user.

Back