Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

+1

C

culprit

VIP Member
Evening all,

The family takes delivery of its first ever Cali a week on Thursday, its a 180 DSG with lots of toys. As pretty much everyone says, this forum is an invaluable source of information for those starting out in the world of VW Campers, it has helped inform our decision making - I found the right dealer and brokered an excellent deal off the back of a good chunk of what is listed on these pages.

Not going to be much sleep between now and then!

We have lots of experience of tent camping and we had a landrover with a roof tent for a good few years, The Cali is the lap of luxury!

Been searching for shared views on a comprehensive kit list of must haves / don't forgets - can anyone point me at the best thread?

Cheers

:D :thumb

Congratulations :thumb

I won't spoil your fun for the next four months? :headbang waiting for your Cali to arrive by telling which threads have all the low down you'll need for equipping your new toy, as the treasure hunt will be the only thing from keeping you going potty while you wait, I'm sure :mrgreen:

:hello

We went from a Defender 110 to a Cali 4Motion - a wise move! :thumb

Cheers Guys :)

110 was great fun but not in the least bit practical for the families needs.

It lands a week Thursday and we then have 2 weeks off and no firm plans.....Brilliant!

Sounds like there is a lot of fun times ahead! Congratulations.
I would be very interested to know what dealer you went with and what sort of deal you got. Our trip to our local VW Commercial offered 5% off the basic price (before VAT) and that was all he was prepared to do. Needless to say we decided to wait.
Thanks.

Hi Scottie, I think you could do better than 5 if you shop around. Reluctant to say what I have achieved specifically purely on the basis that I don't want to put anyone on the hook for a number that they can't achieve on a repeat basis; I work in sales (not the motor trade I hasten to add) and I know how frustrating this is, every deal as we all know is brokered on its own merits and the circumstances of all involved at that time.

As said though, you can in my opinion do better than 5% ex VAT; don't believe the patter that certain models don't attract discounts - that is a sales tactic; if they are taking you seriously and they are prepared to let you walk in the knowledge that you will buy elsewhere then simply walk.

Ring round and hunt for the deal that suits you, it is out there. Why not try the forum sponsors and see where that takes you?

Another point of view would be that a good relationship and service can be worth a number of percentage points of discount. The difference between 5 and 7% discount on a £50k car is a £1000 retail - question: if you found a dealer you liked, you thought you could trust/ work with and had a good rep, would you really not proceed with a purchase of such an awesome car for the sake of a grand?

Just my musing, please accept my apologies if I have taught any egg sucking or caused offence!

Cheers.

Wooo hey. Exciting time :thumb Keep the wallet open :laugh2 :laugh2

Very good points indeed Culprit...thanks for great guidance :thanks

culprit said:
Another point of view would be that a good relationship and service can be worth a number of percentage points of discount. The difference between 5 and 7% discount on a £50k car is a £1000 retail - question: if you found a dealer you liked, you thought you could trust/ work with and had a good rep, would you really not proceed with a purchase of such an awesome car for the sake of a grand?

Just my musing, please accept my apologies if I have taught any egg sucking or caused offence!

Cheers.

A good point but i have a slightly different slant on it. With cars and in this case vans they are selling a product, buy it from whomever, search high and low for the deal that best suits you and then choose who you want to service it. Nothing says the supplying dealer must service it and likewise nothing says if you want a specific dealer to service it you must buy from them.

That said, to date, I have always given my local dealer a chance to match my best price and to date, most notably with Audi, they have not got anywhere near it. Doesn't stop me using them for service and I'm comfortable in the knowledge i gave them the opportunity. I don't run a charity so I'm not paying over the odds just because they are apparently nice guys.