Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12v socket under rear bench?

john mar

john mar

Basil
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Weve had Basil for 5 months now and been away four times and are very happy .....I was looking for my glasses and had moved the rear seat froward and saw this,looks like a cup holder and 12 volt supply?

Strange to have it under the seat.Is it for another model...Beach maybe.?When the seat is forward position its hard to see.

The cali keeps surprising me..ch2 (1).jpgch2 (2).jpgch3.jpgch2 (2).jpg

California is based on the Caravelle, so some shared bits.

We have this on our T6 beach - we keep the thing that tells us the temp and battery voltage in it. Keeps it out of the way and you can still read it if you need to.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Same in my beach, as above its a caravelle feature left in the Cali. It's useable for things you want hidden away at least in my beach but generally just collected dust.

Weve had Basil for 5 months now and been away four times and are very happy .....I was looking for my glasses and had moved the rear seat froward and saw this,looks like a cup holder and 12 volt supply?

Strange to have it under the seat.Is it for another model...Beach maybe.?When the seat is forward position its hard to see.

The cali keeps surprising me..View attachment 44638View attachment 44639View attachment 44640View attachment 44639
Off topic but...I like the look of your seat covers. Any chance of more pics? Are they covers or refurbs?

It is not only a leftover from the Caravelle (like most UK California's are), my Multivan based California has it too. It is because of the right rear panel is the same as the Caravelle/Multivan, so they let the plug in.
I have ordered a 90° USB cable to be able to plug it in a flat USB-charger, so I can finally get to use it properly (after 9 years :rolleyes:).

Don't get too far down all the implausible things in the California, most of them make sense, if you get in to it.

There are also fuses hiding behind the bottle holder under the dashboard.

Have you got the " Curry " hook?

I use one of these plugged into that socket and loop it up through the grab handle by the sliding door (usually with a low profile USB socket in it) .Stops the crowd in the cheap seats getting rowdy if iPads get low.

2C83136A-259F-4354-8C2A-BADD26F5BEDF.jpeg

Plug this into the Socket and Velcro to the side trim.
On/Off switch, USB for iPhone/iPad + 3 12v sockets as well. Can be left in place and switched on as required. Also has 5yr Warranty.

Also has a Digital Voltmeter Display. Could be useful for Beach Owners.

Screenshot 2019-05-11 at 11.31.04.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FQMR83C/?tag=eliteelect-21

This was my Cali surprise yesterday ...

Does that socket draw power from the leisure batteries or starter? I’ve been told by the dealer that it’s the latter.

Does that socket draw power from the leisure batteries or starter? I’ve been told by the dealer that it’s the latter.
Should be Leisure. It is on mine.

The cali keeps surprising me..View attachment 44638View attachment 44639View attachment 44640View attachment 44639
We use it to charge the phones, iPads etc. You just need very Flexible fingers and an ability to bear pain in Your hands while doing it.

We use it to charge the phones, iPads etc. You just need very Flexible fingers and an ability to bear pain in Your hands while doing it.

Does the 2 seat bench not slide sufficiently far back to access the socket?

With the multiflex folded down the three seat bench slides right back and the cup holder and 12v socket fully revealed.

With the multiflex folded down the three seat bench slides right back and the cup holder and 12v socket fully revealed.
No it doesn't. We have a fixed bed extension, so the socket remains under the seat.
Even with the bed extension out of the car, the rear seat can't go much further backwards because of the kitchen and right back panel tighntening towards the rear. So the seat gets blocked.

Not really, it is about 9” ( in old money) back under the seat when in the 'sitting ' position. I usually plug the iPad wire Into the plug first and then, by scrunching up my hand to a painful degree, I can just insert the plug into the socket. I then run the wire through the grab handle loop for use. However, this is not an ideal set up!
I think you can get a multi socket that hangs down the side which would be much easier....... something I should get I suppose.....

Plug this into the Socket and Velcro to the side trim.
On/Off switch, USB for iPhone/iPad + 3 12v sockets as well. Can be left in place and switched on as required. Also has 5yr Warranty.

Also has a Digital Voltmeter Display. Could be useful for Beach Owners.

View attachment 44689

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FQMR83C/?tag=eliteelect-21
I've just seen this from Welsh Gas after I had posted re the difficulty of accessing the USB socket. Looks just what I need so thanks WG. (I tend to read posts in reverse order which can be result in missing stuff!!)

Not really, it is about 9” ( in old money) back under the seat when in the 'sitting ' position. I usually plug the iPad wire Into the plug first and then, by scrunching up my hand to a painful degree, I can just insert the plug into the socket. I then run the wire through the grab handle loop for use. However, this is not an ideal set up!
I think you can get a multi socket that hangs down the side which would be much easier....... something I should get I suppose.....

It must be really cramped in the rear of a 2 seat bench California with the fifth seat in place.

Nearly always when using all 7 seats I fold down the multiflex and push the bench right back so passengers have reasonable leg room.

I don't have the 5 seat California (then it is no longer registered as campervan, but normal car), but the 5th or the 4th seat on the 2 seat bench must be for people without legs I suppose.