Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

17” Steels & tyres just for Alps trips

PhilR

PhilR

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
We’ve recently ordered a 6.1 4MO and now that the Brexit tax is not an issue I can start shopping again!
We specced the Cali with 17” Woodstock’s and All Weather tyres. Happy with that for 90% of our intended usage, however we intend to do an annual trip to Switzerland and possibly Norway, so I’d like to get hold of some Steels and proper winter tyres for those trips. I don’t want to ruin the Woodstock’s using snow chains, which i’ll need where I’m going. I’ll just store the Steels in the shed when not in use.
My questions are -
What is the best tyre option for my intended use?
Where is the best place to source the steels? How much do VW charge?

I’ve seen someone called Benni mentioned on here but I can’t find any info on him. I looked on eBay but what I think is possibly his eBay shop, is only showing 16” steels for T5/T6’s?
I’ve got plenty of time to research and look though - my Cali is not expected until March/April!
Thanks, Phil.

We’ve recently ordered a 6.1 4MO and now that the Brexit tax is not an issue I can start shopping again!
We specced the Cali with 17” Woodstock’s and All Weather tyres. Happy with that for 90% of our intended usage, however we intend to do an annual trip to Switzerland and possibly Norway, so I’d like to get hold of some Steels and proper winter tyres for those trips. I don’t want to ruin the Woodstock’s using snow chains, which i’ll need where I’m going. I’ll just store the Steels in the shed when not in use.
My questions are -

I’ve seen someone called Benni mentioned on here but I can’t find any info on him. I looked on eBay but what I think is possibly his eBay shop, is only showing 16” steels for T5/T6’s?
I’ve got plenty of time to research and look though - my Cali is not expected until March/April!
Thanks, Phil.

You can pick up 17 in steels off ebay in the range of £150, but they may need a bit of cleaning etc. Get a set and get them powder coated for longevity. Just ensure that the rims are ET56 and Correctly load rated for a Cali at 950 KG per wheel (see pics).

Tyres - there are many options, again ensure that they are at least 102/3 load rated and have the mountain and snowflake symbol for your intended use.

PXL_20201027_095416458 (1).jpgPXL_20201027_095433699 (1).jpg

Winter tyres have a minimum legal depth of 4mm in some European countries. This means a relatively short life as you would need about 6mm minimum prior to UK departure remaining.

A case of only fitting for your intended trips and the all season tyres for all UK use until down to 5mm.

Winter tyre Brands are pretty much a case of price relates to ability to fulfil the purpose.

I was recommended “Hankook winter icept LV” for our van (Sweden)

/Oskar

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Thanks all. Think I’ll keep an eye on the classifieds.

We’re mostly on Nokians in Sweden, Finnish tyres, friction will last you a 3-4 seasons here and they operate better when it’s cold or wet so perfect for the UK winter too not just the Alps.

My questions are -

Thanks, Phil.

Be careful with the sizing as well as the loading if you're thinking of fitting chains. The standrad size "normal" Cali tyres won't take chains. For info we had 225x60x17 on ours and chains fitted fine.

I'd save your money and buy more skis, you can never have enough!
I have lived in the Alps for the last 4 winters and only ever used All Season tyres (make sure a Snowflake symbol on them to be legal in most of the Alps) on our Skoda 4x4.
They never put a foot wrong and were ideal all year around.
That included a summer trip to Croatia and winter 2019 when we had over metre of snow in the garden and the roads in the village were covered in snow or ice from Jan to March. Included trips to Austrian and German ski resorts most weekends.
The Skoda has now gone but got All Season tyres on my new Beach 6.1 and expect them to be up to the job as well.

I'd save your money and buy more skis, you can never have enough!
I have lived in the Alps for the last 4 winters and only ever used All Season tyres (make sure a Snowflake symbol on them to be legal in most of the Alps) on our Skoda 4x4.
They never put a foot wrong and were ideal all year around.
That included a summer trip to Croatia and winter 2019 when we had over metre of snow in the garden and the roads in the village were covered in snow or ice from Jan to March. Included trips to Austrian and German ski resorts most weekends.
The Skoda has now gone but got All Season tyres on my new Beach 6.1 and expect them to be up to the job as well.
What about chains? Don’t you bother or do you just keep some in the car for emergency use and to satisfy the authorities?

What about chains? Don’t you bother or do you just keep some in the car for emergency use and to satisfy the authorities?
Had a pair of Snow Socks for emergencies but never needed them.

The Snowflake symbol on the All Season tyres is all you need to satisfy the authorities that they are fit for purpose. Certainly the case in Germany, Austria and Italy where we traveled.

Had a pair of Snow Socks for emergencies but never needed them.

The Snowflake symbol on the All Season tyres is all you need to satisfy the authorities that they are fit for purpose. Certainly the case in Germany, Austria and Italy where we traveled.
That’s good to know, thanks. I thought I’d need proper Winter Tyres rather than the All Season ones I’ve specced.
Does anyone know what the tyres will be from VW? (Make, model, snow symbol?).

Last edited:
That’s good to know, thanks. I thought I’d need proper Winter Tyres rather than the All Season ones I’ve specced.
There is no consistency of make or type on a new van except for the load rating. I guess it comes down to whatever the German purchasing department has sourced at the right price come the time of your van's build.

Alan

I bought some alcar 9215 17" steels for this winter which seem to be pretty ubiquitous online. They are pretty close to the brake caliper on the front, but I guess that's normal. About 5mm clearance.

IMG_9499.jpg

Mine came from the Factory with Goodyear Vector4Seasons 235/55R17 103H Snowflake Symbol and M+S.
Not tested in the cold/snow yet.

An alternative for those who have 18" Alloys or bigger could be to stick with 18" and use the Amorak style steel wheels with a 235/55/18 104h tyre. General Grabber AT3 being a chunky option

[QUOTE = "Chiroshi, post: 470798, membro: 22686"]
Ho comprato alcuni acciai alcar 9215 17 "per questo inverno che sembrano essere abbastanza onnipresenti online. Sono abbastanza vicini alla pinza del freno sulla parte anteriore, ma immagino sia normale. Spazio di circa 5 mm.

View attachment 69290
[/CITAZIONE]
Alcar...no good,weak

I bought some alcar 9215 17" steels for this winter which seem to be pretty ubiquitous online. They are pretty close to the brake caliper on the front, but I guess that's normal. About 5mm clearance.

View attachment 69290
All 17" are close to the big disc brake callipers which is why 16" can't be fitted.

Hi PhilR - Just letting you know I sent you a personal message regarding availabilty of 17inch steels.

Best Wishes.

I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin P4 235/55 R17s and put them on a set of slightly grotty 2nd hand alloys.
Good video of the 10 best tyres, but be really careful, most won't have sufficient load rating, even the SUV ones.
SpikesSpider are a fantastic alternative to conventional chains - more expensive but quick & easy to fit, various options but Spikes Spider Alpine Pro 2 are highly rated.

I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin P4 235/55 R17s and put them on a set of slightly grotty 2nd hand alloys.
Good video of the 10 best tyres, but be really careful, most won't have sufficient load rating, even the SUV ones.
SpikesSpider are a fantastic alternative to conventional chains - more expensive but quick & easy to fit, various options but Spikes Spider Alpine Pro 2 are highly rated.
Thanks. I’ll look into that. Are they acceptable to the authorities in the Alpine and other regions?

Yes, absolutely. I can’t remember which of the alpine emergency services use them, but its in their advertising somewhere, so yes, very much accepted. They also have what they call “ladder plates” I.e. plates that are attached to the chains that are orientated across the tyre rather than around it so maximising grip, a little like a round caterpillar track....if that makes sense.
Just searching I think there is one ski resort in Australia where ”spider chains” (Thule, and a couple of other brands also make them) are not admitted, that’s a long drive.

Back