Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2 ways to disable the water pump.

snowy55

snowy55

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Vw advise you to disable the water pump, by removing the fuse, feeding the sink tap so that you can lift the tap handle and allow the water in the pipe work and tap to drain back into the tank, therefore avoiding frost damage. There appears to be 2 ways to do this

1. Remove the fuse under the passenger seat, on a right hand drive vehicle. This is problematic due to Vw's constant fuse variation.

2. Disconnect the water pump.

1. Removing the fuse.

On my Jan 2014 Cali SE the fuse box under the passenger seat bears no resemblance to the fuse layout in the California Supplement supplied with the vehicle!

This is what my fuse box looks like. 20150102_144406_zpsdkxotwwc.jpg

This is my water pump fuse, might not be on yours but it should be an orange 5 amp fuse so there's only 2 to choose from.
20150102_144219_zpsvgkujzxy.jpg

2 Disconnecting the pump.

At the bottom of the wardrobe there is a large 6in approx plastic "bung" lift it out and you can see the top of the fresh water tank, the are 2 connectors visible both with foam anti rattle covers.
The connecter that goes straight into the tank, on the left in the photo is for the tank level sensor, the connecter on the right is for the pump, one wire red and blue the other wire is brown (on my vehicle) this is the connecter to pull apart.
20150102_141723_zpsalvgrtq3.jpg
20150102_141746_zpsty9lrw3h.jpg

Hope this is useful for somebody.
Please remember when you go away at Easter and the fekin tap doesn't work which way you did it. :doh

Great post snowy very helpfull :thumb

And for info the 15 single blue one is for the 12v socket in the ash tray (thats where it is on our 2012 SE
Would be good to have a list of all of the fuzes under the seat, anyone able to name another !!!

A little late, but thanks for this post Snowy. With the frosty nights rolling in, just got my van prepped for Winter. This post was really useful in helping with that. Cheers

Nice detailed info with pictures .
The way we like it , great post.
:thumb

There is a third way.

Open R Kitchen door.
Remove Cutlery draw.
Put hand up behind sink - Follow the Blue water pipe.
You will feel a double wire. Gently run your fingers down the wire and you will find it goes round the R side of the sink.
Pull gently downwards on the wire and it will come out of the R hand gap between the sink and cupboard wall with a connector, black in colour with a foam shroud/cup over the connector used to stop it rattling and to hold it in the space at the side of the sink out of the way.
Pull the connector apart.
Tap now opens but pump does not work.

IMG_20161103_163340.jpg

IMG_20161103_163415.jpg

Last edited:
Great post, photos and instructions. The kind of technical info we members really welcome.

I've just done it the "Third Way" as described by WelshGas (thanks Welshgas!). It was lovely to hear the water run back down the pipe when I opened the disconnected tap. Of the three options it looked the least fiddly.

There is a third way.

Open R Kitchen door.
Remove Cutlery draw.
You will feel a double wire. Gently run your fingers down the wire and you will find it goes round the R side of the sink.
Pull gently downwards on the wire and it will come out of the R hand gap between the sink and cupboard wall with a connector, black in colour with a foam shroud/cup over the connector used to stop it rattling and to hold it in the space at the side of the sink out of the way.

View attachment 17473

View attachment 17472

I've just done it the "Third Way" as described by WelshGas (thanks Welshgas!). It was lovely to hear the water run back down the pipe when I opened the disconnected tap. Of the three options it looked the least fiddly.
A fourth way..... I've fitted a small toggle switch under the sink wired into the tap circuit. Saves fiddling with the connector.

Fifth one.
For this one you must be in a quite place.
I raise very slightly the lever of the tap, and at a moment I hear the water flow to the tank before having arrived at the engagement of the pump . It's a matter of fraction of a millimeter, but it works. It may not work for everyone, depending on the pump start-up threshold

6th way - leave the water in and drive to a hot climate for the winter. - would be nice.

A fourth way..... I've fitted a small toggle switch under the sink wired into the tap circuit. Saves fiddling with the connector.

Great idea ArunAlec. Is there an off the shelf switch that cilips into the two-piece connection under the sink by any chance?

Simon.

8th way....
Unplug the pump in the water tank then take the hose off
and blow through with the tap opened. :D

Great idea ArunAlec. Is there an off the shelf switch that cilips into the two-piece connection under the sink by any chance?

Simon.
Not that I could find. I connected my switch into the tap side of the connector wiring so as to leave the loom wiring intact.

9th
install a small (push to break) push button next to the socket and wire in series with the tap switch, hold the button, open tap, drain, close tap, let go of button.

Or simply remember not to lift the basin tap!!!

If it is such an issue, then put some tape and a label over the tap.

I simply drained the 2 water tanks yesterday ahead of any winter cold weather.

I'll take water in a container, should we travel and expect to need a brew.

Hmm, if this is so important, why didn't VW install a simple switch themselves...
The same reason some people add additional security devices. VW consider what they have offered adequate, others prefer to do a more thorough job.

Hmm, if this is so important, why didn't VW install a simple switch themselves...
VW do consider it a necessity to drain the system, but their solution is to remove the fuse to the tap. And just to add a bit more of a challenge the handbook tells you the fuse number but doesnt supply a fuse chart!

There is a third way.

Open R Kitchen door.
Remove Cutlery draw.

View attachment 17473

View attachment 17472
Hi Welsgas... I've tried this and could not get the two clips apart ? could you post how ? thanks

Another example of poor design from VW. If they recommend draining the system in winter perhaps they could have installed a switch in the cupboard under the sink that disables the pump. Maybe a good DIY addition? All this fuse pulling etc on a quality vehicle is madness.

Do most people drain down in winter? I guess only when not using the vehicle for any length of time? What about those who take their Cali to the Alps for skiing trips?

There is a third way.

Open R Kitchen door.
Remove Cutlery draw.

View attachment 17473

View attachment 17472
You need to press the locking clip on the side of the plug.
View attachment 67390

Still easier to remove the fuse though..
Ok I think I see it on the photo...its a bit out of focus but should do...Well I looked the fuses and they don't look like the diagram in the VW Manuel ...so I thought I tried this...Besides the fuses are awkward to get at...
Thanks