2016 T6 paint bubbles on sliding door

AlisonF

AlisonF

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I’ve just spotted on cleaning the Cali, 4 bubbles on the sliding door. The largest a bit smaller than a penny. The smallest about 2.5mm diameter.
Hopefully covered under warranty as there is no damage.
No bubbles elsewhere. All on the sliding door.

3A2A144F-267F-43EB-AD11-36585747EECB.jpeg

2700FF1B-F2EF-402A-9EFD-52AB20020658.jpeg

EDA6E422-BC0C-4C5F-B9A0-3881C86C544C.jpeg

B514421C-119E-4EBA-A73F-A926E12CD7EB.jpeg

Metallic is not the same as the adjacent panel. Has this panel been repaired previously. Bubble is usually trapped moisture due to inadequate drying before painting.

Metallic is not the same as the adjacent panel. Has this panel been repaired previously. Bubble is usually trapped moisture due to inadequate drying before painting.
No repair. I’m guessing it’s a trick of the light and my poor photography. The panels are all the same colour.

I would get a paint thickness check to confirm its original paint thickness. Im looking at the metallic particles not the colour but your looking at it ,I appreciate that is different..

I would get a paint thickness check to confirm its original paint thickness. Im looking at the metallic particles not the colour but your looking at it ,I appreciate that is different..
There was a scratch in middle of door when I picked it up new (!) and they polished it out whilst I waited. But these bubbles are at left and right and the scratch was more central... not sure they would have needed to polish the whole door?

Im not saying its a certainty but I spray cars as part of my hobby and problems like that appear if I rush things before fully drying out filler etc. The lacquer traps the moisture under the paint and cold weather bring them out. Did you notice this after some freezing nights ? I would check the door wasnt repainted, third party can confirm for you easily , forearmed and all that.

Never had a cover on and I don’t know if it could have been repainted - unless it was done when the tow bar and awning were fitted as it was away 3 weeks. Otherwise it’s never been anywhere long enough for it to have been done...

I would check the door wasnt repainted, third party can confirm for you easily , forearmed and all that.
I have a friend who’s into cars and am sure can recommend someone to give it a once over to see if there’s any evidence of a respray. I find it very doubtful, as I would have expected the dealer to let me know if that had happened. But forewarned and forearmed always a good idea... thanks

I was a sprayer in my younger days and one of the rules was never use a spray gun before draining the compressor and in-line moisture filters (2 minutes work)
otherwise problems would result in a failed paint finish!
cant see the above applying to a factory finish though

Definitely looks like moisture.and the metallic looks heavier on the door compared to the panel next to it?
But as you said there’s different light reflections on that picture..
Could be any type of contamination,,
if it’s from a dealership take it back and show them!
I went to veiw a Kombi edition at Manchester Vw
It had 1200 miles on it basically brand new but it’d had a full side painted,
the dealer didn’t know about it apparently even though it was there van.
If your not in the paint game you would never know .thankfully I am....

I’ve tried taking a pic from a different angle to see if people still see a difference in two panels.

1920C55C-C7BD-4571-80B9-17121C23F2D0.jpeg

Hi Alison it’s a pretty good match if it has,
On the panel the right side of the picture the metallic is less uniform (not as tight)compared to the left.
Silvia the hardest colour of all to repaint so if it’s had work on the door chances are it will of been blended onto the panel either side of the door .
I wouldn’t worry too much if you bought it from vw take it back and get the paint depth checked and if it’s not been painted it’s covered under the paint and body warranty.as you can see it’s not been caused by a stone chip because the paint isn’t damaged broken so if it’s had no paint it’s there responsibility to fix it.
Hope this helps

There is always a chance that the van is resprayed due to damage in transportation. Then the dealer wouldn't know it.

It looks like some underneath rust is starting to push up?
Maybe time for a new topic: sliding door rot? (Where is my coat)

Hi triplebee I’m not disputing you here,
but how Could it be repaired/sprayed without the dealer knowing??
Do vw have a body shop at the docs?
If they do I would imagine it has to be registered as repaired otherwise if you bought a new van and didn’t know, then took it back with an issue like this the first thing they would do Is measure the paint thickness ??
then say to you it’s been painted voiding your warranty???
Then they will point the finger at the owner.,,
And If it’s been in transportation from the docs surly the next stop is straight to the the dealers right ??

So there’s a paper trail....
so it couldn’t be repaired and resprayed without them knowing unless im missing something ??

@Calicampin I’m inclined to agree. I suspect this must be a factory poor paint job issue? I’m hopefully in to speak to the manager next week. And before that hope to get someone independent to check the paint depth on sliding door and adjacent drivers door for comparison.

I am not saying it has gone like that. I was just offering another option.
Unless the dealer doesn't want to admit to you it had transportation damage, so saying it wasn't resprayed.

I should have to see it in real life to come to a conclusion, but the best bet would be looking at the paint thickness. Then you will be 99% sure it is a respray or not.

I also have minor pointy paint at 2 or 3 locations, but I don't notice them anymore unless my eye falls on it.
And after 10 years, all it's birthmarks have grown into it, so this is my van with it's imperfections...

@TripleBee I appreciate your opinion. I have no experience in respray etc, so all opinions are informative.
I will be sure to get the paint thickness checked and report back here.
If there is a bad batch of sliding doors from the factory, (or something else), I’m sure people would like to know.
Thanks again.

Fingers crossed...
All current Volkswagen vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against through corrosion for 12 years from the date of first registration. ... The perforationmust not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance or by external corrosion (rusting).

Looks like you will have a good
chance.

Hi triplebee I’m not disputing you here,
but how Could it be repaired/sprayed without the dealer knowing??
Do vw have a body shop at the docs?
If they do I would imagine it has to be registered as repaired otherwise if you bought a new van and didn’t know, then took it back with an issue like this the first thing they would do Is measure the paint thickness ??
then say to you it’s been painted voiding your warranty???
Then they will point the finger at the owner.,,
And If it’s been in transportation from the docs surly the next stop is straight to the the dealers right ??

So there’s a paper trail....
so it couldn’t be repaired and resprayed without them knowing unless im missing something ??

Manufacturers often sub contract the importation of cars to other companies like this one.

Upgrades and minor repairs are carried at the port so the selling dealer may be unaware that any repair has been carried out.

Inspection Services
BCA Automotive Services
An accurate description of a vehicles condition as early as possible in the defleet process is paramount. BCA will inspect your vehicles wherever they are, whether based in the field, at a vehicle storage facility or a BCA remarketing centre.

Inspections can take place at any point in advance of remarketing with bespoke parameters and reporting. The process is fully transparent and offers you with timely, accurate condition information to make informed decisions on:
  • Damage recharge
  • Vehicle repair and preparation
  • Remarketing sales channel and pricing
Inspections can be fully integrated with collection and other subsequent BCA remarketing activities such as vehicle repair, preparation and allocation to sale.

Manufacturers often sub contract the importation of cars to other companies like this one.

Upgrades and minor repairs are carried at the port so the selling dealer may be unaware that any repair has been carried out.

Inspection Services
BCA Automotive Services
An accurate description of a vehicles condition as early as possible in the defleet process is paramount. BCA will inspect your vehicles wherever they are, whether based in the field, at a vehicle storage facility or a BCA remarketing centre.

Inspections can take place at any point in advance of remarketing with bespoke parameters and reporting. The process is fully transparent and offers you with timely, accurate condition information to make informed decisions on:
  • Damage recharge
  • Vehicle repair and preparation
  • Remarketing sales channel and pricing
Inspections can be fully integrated with collection and other subsequent BCA remarketing activities such as vehicle repair, preparation and allocation to sale.
Every day’s a school day ;)
Does this apply to new vehicles a bit worrying if as you say they can repair and repaint a vehicle then the dealer would not question a different paint thickness?

Every day’s a school day ;)
Does this apply to new vehicles a bit worrying if as you say they can repair and repaint a vehicle then the dealer would not question a different paint thickness?

Yes this does apply to new vehicles. At Portbury docks BCA do have a paint shop. With regards to Vauxhall cars they are driven off the ship to a compound where BCA inspect the cars as soon as the stevedores park them up.

I hope my local dealer is watching this thread.
We’ve had so many issues so far and it would just be good to know we can jointly say this one was not on their watch...

Back