Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2022 T6.1 Ocean Fuel Consumption

The wider 235 offers some wheel rim protection because the rubber extends slightly beyond the rim. The tyre sidewall, being softer, bows out a little, hence assisting rim Protection.
The 215 is a pure van tyre. Stronger straight up side walls. Give more mpg, last longer, but give a crap ride.

MY23 204 4mo. Just getting broken in with 3k miles on the clock. Averaging 7l/100km with a mix of A and B roads in France. Some urban mileage too. This equates to 40,5 mpg (imp). Call me impressed.

I'm on 9l/100km with MY22 204 4mo. But done a lot of km's on motor ways with 130/140kmph and bikes on the back.

My uncle (he is in his 80’s) has asked me for decades for each car I got “what MPG do you get”. He is fascinated by how many miles he can eek out of a tank.

Don’t know and have never bothered to work it out has always been my answer.

When the car/van is empty I fill it up and drive each time to enjoy it.

I did some maths (on here I think) a while ago on the reality of the difference of 1/5/10 MPG to your annual fuel costs. I found it negligible enough to continue to not care but someone did point out, rightly, that my negligible was a weekend break for some…

Hi just to chip in my van is similar age and mileage, but differenc is wheel size, my Van averages 40 mpg. If you look at the dash info it starts of with a low mpg and as the trip stretches out it reaches the 40 mpg area and stabalises. Are you looking at the early figures? My Van was filled yesterday to full, 80 litre tank giving predicted range of 620 miles. I would also say do a reset of all figures and then take the van for a long drive and monitor the figures, we all drive slightly different but you should see better figures than you have even with the bigger wheels. Good luck.

Some very useful tips here as I await the arrival of my Ocean in early October and the discovery of the Road Trip app. I’ve just sold my Golf GTi to help fund the CalI and I was getting 33.8 av MPG. My runaround Jimney can’t be getting more than 35 MPG. I’ll keep the 17” wheels, only load the Gaz bottle and water tank and EHU cable when it’s a trip away, but the main lesson I take from this thread is to enjoy the Cali and don't get too hung up about fuel costs

I’ll keep the 17” wheels, only load the Gaz bottle and water tank and EHU cable when it’s a trip away, but the main lesson I take from this thread is to enjoy the Cali and don't get too hung up about fuel costs
The weight of the gas bottle & EHU cable are absolutely negligible in the scale of things, even a full water tank at 30kg on a 2600kg van is pretty insignificant. I would always carry them for fear of forgetting to load them.

The weight of the gas bottle & EHU cable are absolutely negligible in the scale of things, even a full water tank at 30kg on a 2600kg van is pretty insignificant. I would always carry them for fear of forgetting to load them.
We always carry them for the sheer pleasure and convenience of using them……. even just for a brew after doing the food shop ……… can’t see the point in leaving them behind. Having full kitchen facilities to hand is what separates the Cali from just any old car or van :thumb

I am both impressed and disappointed with the 40ish mpg many owners are getting.

Impressed with the mileage being obtained from a large heavy vehicle and disappointed I don't get anything like that!

I consider myself an economic driver and the majority of the time I drive my Cali with half an eye on the instantaneous fuel consumption readout. I have just returned from a European trip (Vienna, Prague and 5 National Parks :)), 2,400 miles, m'way and A road mainly, I got 34mpg (T6.1 150 on 17/235/55 tyres).

I just cannot envisage getting 40mpg from my wagon even if I drove everywhere below 50mph!

PS I use Fuelly app to track MPG. People tend to categorise their vans slightly differently and Fuelly makes some strange decisions on variants and model year but this is what Fuelly reports as Fuelly user MPG (number of vans in category):
T6(my category, 15): 28
Transporter (528): 32
California (Fuelly stopped allowing this catg after 2016?? 7): 28
T6.1 (2021 only? 9): 35

PPS Teplice Rocks/Prachov Rocks/Bohemian Switzerland National Parks, all basically in the same NE corner of Chechia, all offer fabulous scenery and walks - and no Brits!

Over 39000 miles my average is 37.64 mpg. That is a T6 150 DSG LWB High top conversion. Van from new with 50 delivery miles. Last month on an out and return run of just under 150 miles I achieved a record (for me) mpg of 42. The full tank to full tank mpg that included that run was 39.55 mpg. My tyres are Michelin 215 Agilis Cross Climates running at 50 psi on 16" rims.

My speedo over reads a little so I'm sure the figures I see are a little optimistic. Your app is probably more accurate.

32.1mpg on a 370 mile round trip to see Luton beat Everton at the weekend, average speed 40mph but this includes over an hour to get out the carpark after the game.
thats a T6.1 4motion with 255- 18" tyres.

I expect high 20s abroad last return from Spain was 27.4mpg over 907miles at an average of 68mph.
Keep the speed down to 65mph on the motorway & I can get it up to mid 30s but would probably fall asleep.

My speedo over reads a little so I'm sure the figures I see are a little optimistic. Your app is probably more accurate.
Ahh it hadn't occurred to me people would be quoting the VW average mpg readout.

I know from a decades experience with my Golf (1600TDi average real mpg 53) that dashboard readout is significantly flattering, a combination that by law speedo's have to 'over-read' and I suspect the VW algorithm is designed deliberately to be optimistic!

That may well explain the big difference.

Ahh it hadn't occurred to me people would be quoting the VW average mpg readout.

I know from a decades experience with my Golf (1600TDi average real mpg 53) that dashboard readout is significantly flattering, a combination that by law speedo's have to 'over-read' and I suspect the VW algorithm is designed deliberately to be optimistic!

That may well explain the big difference.
On mine the speed over-reads slightly but the distance covered is correct. Full to Full on the tank also backs up the consumption.

The only time it is significantly wrong is if I use the night heater a lot as that fuel is not accounted for in the VW consumption figures.

I took delivery of my Cali Ocean in August 22, and I feel the fuel consumption has slowly declined. It has now covered 4000 miles, is a 150 auto and has 20”wheels. I just had a new year trip to Whitby and the return journey 58 miles which is 50% A roads and 50% dual carriageway gave 29mpg average. Normal local commutes show around 22-25mpg and I get around 390 to 400 miles to a tank of diesel. There are no leaks, but there are often fans blasting out after very short distances.
Is this normal consumption?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

View attachment 103621

View attachment 103622

View attachment 103623
Hmmm that is poor.
I took delivery of my 150 Ocean with 18" wheels in 2021 and the mpg has increased to low 30's round town and low 40's on long motorway runs. Total mileage now 8514 miles.

c39d42489e1ca88942a6dfb7322371c0.jpg

Long term average 33.9 mpg
Record high for a complete tank 43.2 mpg
Record high for a single trip of 638km is 46.4 mpg (measured by starting and finishing with a full tank).

I use Spritmonitor to record refuellings. As another data point, this reports 8.44 l/100km. This is about 33.5mpg.This includes:
  • driving as economically as possible/feasible
  • mostly motorways and country lanes
  • includes a fair bit of driving up the mountains (hard to avoid in Switzerland)
  • Mixture of summer tyres and winter tyres
  • Does include sporadic use of diesel heater as well, without it it's probably 8.5l/100km
Speedo overreads a little of course. When It indicates 110kph my gps reports 105kph. So scaling for this the true figure is closer to 8.85 l/100km

This is on a T6 150kW (204bhp) 4Motion.

My previous car, a Toyota Avensis diesel 2.2L from 2009 consumed about the same. Not bad considering the T6 is a lot heavier and far less aerodynamic. And a crap ton more fun. Progress

c39d42489e1ca88942a6dfb7322371c0.jpg

Long term average 33.9 mpg
Record high for a complete tank 43.2 mpg
Record high for a single trip of 638km is 46.4 mpg (measured by starting and finishing with a full tank).
Very similar to my T6 Beach long term.

32.1mpg on a 370 mile round trip to see Luton beat Everton at the weekend, average speed 40mph but this includes over an hour to get out the carpark after the game.
Let's be honest I'm sure you'd take 10mpg on every away game to see LTFC win away this season ;)

Let's be honest I'm sure you'd take 10mpg on every away game to see LTFC win away this season ;)
I'd walk if I needed to - one fan cycles to every game & has done for the last couple of seasons to raise money for charity.

We are under no illusion this season was always going to be a difficult one.
We've spent £17m on players, previously we've never spent more than £1.4m in a season. The other £160m premier league money has gone in the bank to pay for the new stadium.

It's a calculated risk - spend little on players or gamble like Forrest did last year & spend £200m on players with no guarantee that it will keep you up. When you look at the likes of Chelsea borrowing an extra £800million we really are in a different league financially.

I'd walk if I needed to - one fan cycles to every game & has done for the last couple of seasons to raise money for charity.

We are under no illusion this season was always going to be a difficult one.
We've spent £17m on players, previously we've never spent more than £1.4m in a season. The other £160m premier league money has gone in the bank to pay for the new stadium.

It's a calculated risk - spend little on players or gamble like Forrest did last year & spend £200m on players with no guarantee that it will keep you up. When you look at the likes of Chelsea borrowing an extra £800million we really are in a different league financially.
You're the very first team that's played non league football to make the Premier League so I genuinely hope you stay up, but I sadly think it's going to be very tough. I suspect Wrexham have ideas of being the next non league side to join the Premier League.....

My California has now done 12000 miles and has just returned an average 37 mpg on a trip to the Scottish Highlands and 36 mpg on a trip to Southwold, so i guess im happy now with the fuel consumption.