Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2022 T6.1 Ocean Fuel Consumption

Depends how big the tank is and where you are, if it is Tebay Services on the M6. OUCH!

Such animosity to a joke comment. It’s the equivalent to road rage in a forum.
It’s amazing isn’t it. Doesn’t tell us what size tank he has or even which California, or how much a litre he pays for fuel but still expects someone to give him the precise answer to a totally irrelevant question.

He then gets upset when someone actually gives the correct answer having read the question properly. ( obviously someone that watches the 1% club)

New 150DSG, without a bike rack. 40.4mpg average (from the dash display) over the first 1300 miles (from zero). Quite happy with that, but definitely better over longer distances.

I have a 150 Ocean , 2.5k miles, 17” 215 tyres.

I get 32.2 MPG long term. 95% used for long journeys, M’way & fast A Roads ~ 80% of miles.

No bike or roof rack. 2 adults & a small child.

Seems excessively thirsty?

I have a 150 Ocean , 2.5k miles, 17” 215 tyres.

I get 32.2 MPG long term. 95% used for long journeys, M’way & fast A Roads ~ 80% of miles.

No bike or roof rack. 2 adults & a small child.

Seems excessively thirsty?
Odd, our 4 motion 204 17k now has averaged just over 34mpg. 255/45/18 tyres.
Going down through Italy the lady of the house managed an outstanding average. I of course reminded her it’s all downhill
Milan to Florence.

View attachment IMG_3907.jpeg

I must have a heavy right foot, or the engine hasn't bedded in yet!
3000 mile average after collecting, shows 29.8MPG. 204 4 Motion.
Quite a lot of short journeys though, which won't help the MPG or more than likely the DPF :(

It’s amazing isn’t it. Doesn’t tell us what size tank he has or even which California, or how much a litre he pays for fuel but still expects someone to give him the precise answer to a totally irrelevant question.

He then gets upset when someone actually gives the correct answer having read the question properly. ( obviously someone that watches the 1% club)
Yet most people replied nicely. No ones upset, you seem like you’re on strings from a comment that’s nothing to do with you though :’)

Such animosity to a joke comment. It’s the equivalent to road rage in a forum.
Was my joke not to your taste? Sounds to me like you don’t like it when the shoes on the other foot. Hope you have a better weekend mate.

Just had to fill up ; £99 ( that was the limit the card set!) and we had covered 496 miles mostly on long runs. So that’s my fuel consumption which is just over 30 miles to the gallon.
Drove down to Bristol using the M62, 18, 1, 42 , 5 really tedious driving and took just over 4 hrs , drove back the scenic route “ Roman route! “
A46 then onto Fosse way ( A429and B4455)to Leicester , then joined A46 again up to Lincoln, A15 up to Humber bridge and home on A164, interesting views and changes so not boring 220 miles, 4 hrs 20 minutes!
Have California will travel!
Going down to Oxfordshire later for a camping trip, Cropredy, so hello to anyone who’s there and enjoy the music!

Remember that you shouldn't let the tank go under 1/4 level in order for the regen process to run.
On that basis
70ltr tank takes 53ltrs
80ltr tank takes 60ltrs.
So is this mentioned in any VW manual, or other official VW documentation?!
If not then it is just another bogus myth that goes around….

Maybe confusion with the 1/4 tank min to operate the parking heater.

It a complete myth.
The handbook says don't let it go below 1/4 of a tank to avoid running out of fuel.
With regard to doing a regen it says the regen will stop if the fuel warning light comes on.
IMG_3778.jpeg

No a stated fact that regen is suspended below that level. Have a search through the Forum for details.
Isn't an issue unless doing it on a regular basis.
The run tank low and only put £20 in until a long trip fill up use would be at risk of getting DPF problem.

I would say your consumption is kinda high.

My 204hp 4motion does between 35-40mpg, but that is in the Netherlands with lots of motorways and no hills.
You could have stopped at Nederlands or motorways

Now blocking @Mase. There is no intelligence there
Announce it at the same family gathering that you tell everyone you corrected a random person on the internet. “And then…I blocked them!!”

Your family will be absolutely star struck!

I reckon my 2023 California Ocean 150PS is witchcraft. I also own a Tiguan, although that is the 190PS and 4 wheel drive. I didn't expect the California to get anywhere near in terms of consumption.

However, having now put 3,000 miles on the clock, I reckon my early good news wasn't a fluke after all and with a loaded up van, bike rack on the back with two bikes (one an E Bike) we get a fairly consistent 43 mpg on a run. Considering the much lighter Tiguan rarely hits 50 mpg and is around 45 on most long runs, I'm happy with that. It's got 215/60 R17 tyres and I reckon its only fair to compare same rubber. (Only just reading that some use a different profile, I'll investigate that further when the tyres are due for replacement.)

I can see why many use the California as a daily driver.

43mpg is good result. I average 35mpg in lighter Beach. That's from 2000 miles and 40% city driving. In general, I think economy is pretty decent for the shape and weight of vehicle.

I reckon my 2023 California Ocean 150PS is witchcraft. I also own a Tiguan, although that is the 190PS and 4 wheel drive. I didn't expect the California to get anywhere near in terms of consumption.

However, having now put 3,000 miles on the clock, I reckon my early good news wasn't a fluke after all and with a loaded up van, bike rack on the back with two bikes (one an E Bike) we get a fairly consistent 43 mpg on a run. Considering the much lighter Tiguan rarely hits 50 mpg and is around 45 on most long runs, I'm happy with that. It's got 215/60 R17 tyres and I reckon its only fair to compare same rubber. (Only just reading that some use a different profile, I'll investigate that further when the tyres are due for replacement.)

I can see why many use the California as a daily driver.
Pretty sure VW fit the 215/60/17 tyre as the optimum for meeting emission and consumption figures.

235 or wider are unlikely to equal or better that profile in terms of consumption.

Pretty sure VW fit the 215/60/17 tyre as the optimum for meeting emission and consumption figures.

235 or wider are unlikely to equal or better that profile in terms of consumption.
I'm sure you are right. Less rubber on the road through width and higher pressure mean less friction drag.

I'm going to read up on peoples' thoughts on wider tyres for comfort and grip and how this affects consumption and tyre life, but obviously, it'll be a fair while before I'm curious in a wallet sense.

Announce it at the same family gathering that you tell everyone you corrected a random person on the internet. “And then…I blocked them!!”

Your family will be absolutely star struck!
If you showed this string to your family, they might, gently, put you straight.

Back