Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

240V in-vehicle supply - is it good? & HOW TO GET YOUR PLUG TO SIT FLAT

+++ I HAVE REALISED, WHILST ON TOUR THIS LAST WEEK AND A HALF, THAT YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THE BACK SIDE OF THE 240V SOCKET MODULE FAR MORE EASILY THAN I PREVIOUSLY DESCRIBED SIMPLY BY SPINNING THE DRIVER'S SEAT THE FULL 180 deg, SLIDING IT TO THE APPROPRIATE EXTREME, AND TILTING THE BACKREST - SEE PHOTO BELOW. I HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE WHO STILL HAS THE INCLINATION TO 'FIX' THE ORIGINAL DESIGN ISSUE. THANKS.

View attachment 107721
Followed your instructions this evening - worked perfectly thanks. Hardest bit was getting the bloody spring for the cover back in the right place. Flange (love that word) removed, and plugs fit nuch better. Many thanks JR.
Big thanks for your advice on modifying the 240v socket. Not sure that I could have done it without your detailed instructions because I just couldn't work out what held the socket in place until I read your post showing how to release the retaining clips. A couple of things that I found made it easier: 1. Rotated the seat to gain more access as per your suggestion. 2.Moved the inverter out of the way by undoing the 2 retaining Torx screws. 3. Once I had removed the plug surround, to save dismantling the spring loaded flap I simply used masking tape to hold it back while I trimmed back the raised edge. 4. To avoid damage to the surround I masked off around the raised edge before I started trimming with a sharp blade. The whole job took less than half an hour - thanks to your input. Now I don't have to prop my MacBook charger up with a kitchen sponge to keep it from falling out of the plug socket - plus the spring loaded flap is now in a much more sensible orientation!!

@Ocean Wanderer if you have a Macbook with USB-C just get an appropriate 12 volt USB-C charger, some of them can go up to 120 watts and you can also use them to (fast) charge other devices like your phone. No need to use the inverter.

@Ocean Wanderer if you have a Macbook with USB-C just get an appropriate 12 volt USB-C charger, some of them can go up to 120 watts and you can also use them to (fast) charge other devices like your phone. No need to use the inverter.
Or USB-A to USB-C cable as I use. Though this is lower power than the 12v to USB-C, it works to charge it.

Either solution is MUCH more efficient than using the inverter for AC.

@Wannabecamperman I believe USB-A can deliver 12 watts max so that would take a very long time to charge a laptop. That's why I would recommend to get a decent 12v USB-C charger.

And indeed, it's quite inefficient with the inverter (from DC to AC back to DC).

@Wannabecamperman I believe USB-A can deliver 12 watts max so that would take a very long time to charge a laptop. That's why I would recommend to get a decent 12v USB-C charger.

And indeed, it's quite inefficient with the inverter (from DC to AC back to DC).
USB-A is 18w max on my Bluetti AC 200 Max setup. But yes, a cigarette lighter to USB-C can reach 60w+ easily.

Big thanks for your advice on modifying the 240v socket. Not sure that I could have done it without your detailed instructions because I just couldn't work out what held the socket in place until I read your post showing how to release the retaining clips. A couple of things that I found made it easier: 1. Rotated the seat to gain more access as per your suggestion. 2.Moved the inverter out of the way by undoing the 2 retaining Torx screws. 3. Once I had removed the plug surround, to save dismantling the spring loaded flap I simply used masking tape to hold it back while I trimmed back the raised edge. 4. To avoid damage to the surround I masked off around the raised edge before I started trimming with a sharp blade. The whole job took less than half an hour - thanks to your input. Now I don't have to prop my MacBook charger up with a kitchen sponge to keep it from falling out of the plug socket - plus the spring loaded flap is now in a much more sensible orientation!!

My pleasure, and I'm glad that a few people now have been confident enough to make the same improvement after the frustration (and irritation, even) that I had.

Yes, I took a while to establish how the clips worked, and so was very pleased to get into it finally without breaking anything.

And not twigging the seat-swivelling tip from the outset was a bit of a schoolboy error, discovered only after I'd done it the hard way.

As for conversion efficiency via the inverter, I honestly don't give a stuff about that - of far greater value is to be able to charge a high-current appliance straight off the mains plug and at up to 300W (and therefore quickly) now and again . . . a convenience that's well worth it !

I've recently completed adding a portable power station wired into the rear (internal) EHU panel and connected to the alternator. It means we can run 1800w devices from the kitchen socket and not worry about solar/charging etc. Let me know if anyone would benefit from a guide like this for the solution (I learned a bunch!)

I've recently completed adding a portable power station wired into the rear (internal) EHU panel and connected to the alternator. It means we can run 1800w devices from the kitchen socket and not worry about solar/charging etc. Let me know if anyone would benefit from a guide like this for the solution (I learned a bunch!)
I signed up purely to reply to this post! Very interested in how / what you’ve learnt! I been wondering about doing this myself.

Back