Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 kids - what to do?

I saw photos of a Cali on the forum a few months ago which had a frame taking 3 child seats across the 2 seat bench of an SE/Ocean. I imagine it connected to the Isofix points.
Something like that if suitably crash tested would give you the option of using SE/Ocean for a few years without having to cart around a bulky 5th seat

There’s a lovely family with a Vlog on YouTube which might be worth looking at. They are a British family living in Italy, with three small children and a California Ocean. If you look at an early video you can see how they got on travelling with a very small child. It’s called Cali Camper Family.

Last edited:

There’s a lovely family with a Vlog on YouTube which might be worth looking at. They are a British family living in Italy, with three small children and a California Ocean. If you look at an early video you can see how they got on travelling with a very small child. It’s called Cali Camper Family.

Great to see the older vans still being used.
I’ve done a similar journey on my own a few times now. It’s a long slog, but can’t think of another vehicle I would want to be in. The California is an excellent motorway cruiser.

just cottoned on to the fact that I hadn‘t explained properly the need to check these guys out on YouTube, subscribe to their channel and seek out their videos .. there’s a selection to choose from! I watched their Vlogs before buying my camper as I am planning on taking my three grandchildren on trips and this shows how it can be done. Good luck.

just cottoned on to the fact that I hadn‘t explained properly the need to check these guys out on YouTube, subscribe to their channel and seek out their videos .. there’s a selection to choose from! I watched their Vlogs before buying my camper as I am planning on taking my three grandchildren on trips and this shows how it can be done. Good luck.

Yes, I did think the linked video was a bit strange...:D
Watched one of their other trip videos. A trip to Koblenz. It looked hard work.
I take my hat off to them. I thought having one was bad...

A good channel indeed. Their littelest one - Poppy is now growing and they have already started looking at the likes of Adria etc as their next purchase to accommodate 3 growing children.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Lots of food for thought in here and some good ideas on how to make our SE work for us - thanks @WelshGas, @andyinluton and @HB19 for those particular posts.

We’ll continue to think it over and also consider again the 3-seater Beach option. Due date is August so we’ve got time. Once restrictions are eased a bit, we’ll focus first on getting our daily drive situation sorted - VW Touran is looking like a good option (can take 3 Isofix side by side) despite it not being the most attractive vehicle in the VW fleet...

We bought our SE last summer (via this forum) and have loved getting away in it pre-COVID with our 4 year old and 2 year old kids, particularly to west coast of Scotland. We now have our third child on the way and I’m wondering whether the Cali SE/Ocean can be enjoyable for a family of 5.

We have a fifth seat although it takes up a lot of space inside and is heavy to move in and out. I’m prepared to buy a small pop up tent to house this overnight. I’m not inclined to go down the drive away awning route (unless staying on a site for a few days) as I like minimal setup, hence buying the Cali in the first place.

I’ve considered selling and buying a 3-seat Beach, which would definitely work better whilst driving, but I’m not convinced the Beach would work for our storage needs as a family of 5. The wardrobe, kitchen shelves and overhead locker are excellent in our SE. Good spec Beaches also seem rare - 3zone, parking heater and LED lights would be my minimum requirements (spec on our SE has spoiled us).

I’ve also considered buying a Multimac, which looks good, however looks bulky and tricky to remove and store come camping time (and it’s £1500!)

So, I think we’re down to (1) keeping the SE and try to make it work for us; or (2) selling the van and return to cottage type breaks and holidays.

(As an aside, we also have two cars which we use as daily drives, neither of which are designed to hold 3 Isofix seats, so will be changing those - probably to a VW Touran which can take 3 Isofix car seats side by side)

All helpful thoughts and advice gratefully accepted, particularly on how we might arrange the seats/ camping arrangements to make the SE work for us.
We had the same predicament with 3 kids. We managed with our SE when they were little but they grow and the 5th seat wasn't great to give much leg room behind. We also mostly cooked outside and if bad weather we'd find a pub so rarely used the stove and never used the sink. So, after 2 years of dilemma we decided to change to beach (when ours were 11, 9, 9)! We wish we had done it sooner and certainly not looked back. It did take a while (1 year!) to find the right one though as also fussy given the lovely spec of the SE but we found the perfect one. And you manage to work our storage and get better at taking what you need. We also struggled to sell our SE privately at a decent enough price from our driveway so did a part exchange in the end. We also now have the flexibility of the 7 seats now for their friends / grandparents to join us as a day van when not camping. It's so versatile. We are very happy. For overnighters we can sleep 3 downstairs and 2 up no problem even though they are now 13, 11, 11. Mostly now though 2 sleep in tent outside or awning with dog and 1 upstairs. Good luck!!

Probably just saying what others have said - but I find a Beach with 3 seater bench just great.

If we need to do a quick overnight while on a long journey 5 can sleep (with disciplined organization).
On a camp, we set up a small tent for kids to sleep in.

We have also built a bespoke kitchen unit which fits in front of the 3 seater bench so we can cook and all sit round the table. (must get round to posting pictures).

I love the compact size of the California so much I would rather live with the cramped compromises rather than buying a larger motorhome.

3 kids here.

Just bought a 3 bench Beach (waiting to collect).

selling our estate where we have a multi Mac:brilliant things and we are selling it.

Bought a Cab Bunk twin for older two in front(6/5), little one up top (2) and separate tent for living area.

I know a genuine California is the most desirable option, but what about a high end conversion of a LWB van with either a double cab seat or a 3 person bed seat on sliding rails in the back to give you 5 seats?

We have 3 kids and have had a 3 seat bench Beach as our only car for nearly 5 years. You can easily make it work and it's just a case of not taking too much gear. We have managed numerous 3 week trips with everything in the van - did Norway last summer. PM me if you have specific questions.

3 kids here.

selling our estate where we have a multi Mac:brilliant things and we are selling it.

Bought a Cab Bunk twin for older two in front(6/5), little one up top (2) and separate tent for living area.
If you are selling your multimac, I would be interested, as I'm about to buy one. Depending on which size it is.

3 kids here.

Hi Tim, you mentioned you had a Multimac. Which size one did you have and how straightforward is it to remove, e.g. moving it in and out daily when moving around and camping?

Do the floor legs on it fold away for storage, e.g. like a Isofix base?

thanks

I spoke to multimac last week. A few points: (1) the club junior should fit. 1140mm wide. (Although with the seat stop removed and the seats all the way back their are two low brackets which are only 1120 apart.) (2) after initial set up it only takes a minute or two to remove. (3) it's classified as a child seat, so it is not a modification to the vehicle and so there is no legal problem with addit the seat. You can notify you insurance, but that's been done officially by multimac.

interestingly multimac say: "the smaller model (MM 1000) fits under the bed but this model (Superclub) doesn't...."

If i ever have this in, i'm going to be using it as a people carrier and if i do camp, i'll be putting up a tent and only using the roof for sleeping, so i'm going for the superclub junior, as it can take two small adults if needed. (or two growing girls....)

I spoke to multimac last week. A few points: (1) the club junior should fit. 1140mm wide. (Although with the seat stop removed and the seats all the way back their are two low brackets which are only 1120 apart.) (2) after initial set up it only takes a minute or two to remove. (3) it's classified as a child seat, so it is not a modification to the vehicle and so there is no legal problem with addit the seat. You can notify you insurance, but that's been done officially by multimac.
Thanks @babble - I found this photo on Multimac’s facebook page. Are the brackets you’re referring to those which go down to the floor? If so, do you know if these can be removed/ fold away for storage at night?

Ideally we could remove the Multimac at night and store it under the bed (via the boot), but that would require the ‘legs’/ ‘brackets’ to be removed, or fold in some way
1590999173099.jpeg

Thanks @babble - I found this photo on Multimac’s facebook page. Are the brackets you’re referring to those which go down to the floor? If so, do you know if these can be removed/ fold away for storage at night?

Ideally we could remove the Multimac at night and store it under the bed (via the boot), but that would require the ‘legs’/ ‘brackets’ to be removed, or fold in some way
View attachment 60160
You’ve beat me to it!

interestingly multimac say: "the smaller model (MM 1000) fits under the bed but this model (Superclub) doesn't...."
I suspect this is due to the boot being narrower than above seat due to the moulding underneath the bed (right hand side) - which I think is there to accommodate the wheel arch

View attachment 60160

Yes, they just slide out. You can tuck them away easily. Watch the multimac video and you can see them going in. It's just an L of metal.