Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali camping with toddlers - dining tips?

Gazbibelots1860

Gazbibelots1860

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, we have a 4 year old and 20 month old, I know there are a few threads on here with general tips about going in the Cali with kids but I was after any great ideas or genius suggestions specifically when it comes to meal times, when you don’t have the option of using an awning or eating outside.

We have been away as a family last year but it was to France and most of the time we ate outside. Away this weekend and it’s going to be wet.

We have a Cali SE and the table isn’t long enough for 2 wriggly kids to sit next to each other to eat on the bench. We tried putting up our ikea high chair (without table) for the little one at the end of the table, door shut, and one on the bench - but it was very tight with us all in there, not ideal.

Our youngest is too big/wriggly for those small chicco style mini seats with tables.

Any other suggestions from other parents??

Thanks

We have a Cali SE and the table isn’t long enough for 2 wriggly kids to sit next to each other to eat on the bench.
Have you tried using the table out of the door in the van rather than the sliding one? It’s the exact size to fit with a straight edge to go against the kitchen unit.

Hi, we have a 4 year old and 20 month old, I know there are a few threads on here with general tips about going in the Cali with kids but I was after any great ideas or genius suggestions specifically when it comes to meal times, when you don’t have the option of using an awning or eating outside.

We have been away as a family last year but it was to France and most of the time we ate outside. Away this weekend and it’s going to be wet.

We have a Cali SE and the table isn’t long enough for 2 wriggly kids to sit next to each other to eat on the bench. We tried putting up our ikea high chair (without table) for the little one at the end of the table, door shut, and one on the bench - but it was very tight with us all in there, not ideal.

Our youngest is too big/wriggly for those small chicco style mini seats with tables.

Thanks
Watching with interest! Mine are similar ages and last weekend we ended up sacking off a table, just put a picnic blanket down on the van floor and had a McDonalds on it. To be honest it’s hard-going when you’re all wedged in the van and the weather’s crap, doing that felt like the least stressful solution!

Kids do love a picnic though so you can make it a bit of a thing, also saves them wrecking your seat covers :D Next time we’ll probably do it again but bring some healthier finger foods along.

Last edited:
Watching with interest! Mine are similar ages and last weekend we ended up sacking off a table, just put a picnic blanket down on the van floor and had a McDonalds on it. To be honest it’s hard-going when you’re all wedged in the van and the weather’s crap, doing that felt like the least stressful solution!

Kids do love a picnic though so you can make it a bit of a thing, also saves them wrecking your seat covers :D Next time we’ll probably do it again but bring some healthier finger foods along.
Hahaha, this is a great idea, love how you turned it into an exciting event.

Have you tried using the table out of the door in the van rather than the sliding one? It’s the exact size to fit with a straight edge to go against the kitchen unit.
I did not know this!! I didn’t realise the table could (or was even designed to) fit inside! Thanks

I did not know this!! I didn’t realise the table could (or was even designed to) fit inside! Thanks
If you are lucky you may have a beach or grand California table that comes with fold out clips on the straight edge that fit into the rail on the front of the kitchen. If you have one of those you only need to use the outer two legs of the table leaving access to the cupboards easier.

Thanks
The Chicco style didn’t suit my youngest either but instead used this type -

Ingenuity seat

We always put it in the middle seat and put the seat belt round it and with the tray on she couldn’t wriggle out!

We do the picnic approach too meaning we can just shake the blanket outside afterwards to reduce “crumb hunting”

If you are lucky you may have a beach or grand California table that comes with fold out clips on the straight edge that fit into the rail on the front of the kitchen. If you have one of those you only need to use the outer two legs of the table leaving access to the cupboards easier.
Ah interesting. I don’t know but on the underside of one edge of our sliding door table there are two what look like clips, I’ve always thought they were attachments for some sort of extender, they’re not fold out clips though, unless they were at some point and have broken, will try take a photo

Back