Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

38L water tank - is it useful?

Since only owning our van from just before lockdown we have found it really handy when attaching the shower to hose off sandy feet and the dog. When we do eventually get away overnight I reckon we will use the tank for cooking cleaning hot drinks teeth brushing and I’m certainly not averse to drinking the stuff unlike Mrs Gas. We also carry a 10 litre water bottle for a just in case kinda situation

i use mine all the time. drink out of it. wash with it etc.fill at home with a hose pipe and still alive. I don't worry about frost as drain it properly when cold comes. cleaned it once with some stuff I put in and had it 2 years now. some people don't use theirs but I find it odd to leave it empty and carry a 2nd tank of water. each to their own. some also worry far too much about bacterium. if your just going to make a coffee your boiling it anyway.
oh and the dog drinks out of it too and he's also fine. as said though, take your own fill up hose to the camp site as i have seen fresh water pipe used by those doing the 6am shite bucket trundle.

Find the tap-water in the van useful for cleaning hands (especially in covid-19 times), rinsing coffee cups, brushing teeth, etc. We don't drink from it, but I wouldn't be scared to do so if needed. We fill up at home but sometimes at campsites too, but tend to forget to do so on arrival. We clean the system twice a year. Works fine. There's 2 things that slightly annoy me though. 1) seems to take about forever to drain the grey water tank. Really, why does this take ages? 2) It takes a long time to fill the fresh water tank, using several methods. But nowadays I use a cap for the tank to which you just connect a garden hose and that allows you to fill it fast.

Find the tap-water in the van useful for cleaning hands (especially in covid-19 times), rinsing coffee cups, brushing teeth, etc. We don't drink from it, but I wouldn't be scared to do so if needed. We fill up at home but sometimes at campsites too, but tend to forget to do so on arrival. We clean the system twice a year. Works fine. There's 2 things that slightly annoy me though. 1) seems to take about forever to drain the grey water tank. Really, why does this take ages? 2) It takes a long time to fill the fresh water tank, using several methods. But nowadays I use a cap for the tank to which you just connect a garden hose and that allows you to fill it fast.
Do you remove the sink plug when draining the waste water tank? It will help to reduce the airlock and should allow a better drainage rate.

A full water tank from home for me is essential when I don't know where the next fill is coming from. In my previous motor home, I had a 140 litre tank and 20 litre container, but only travelled with the 20 litres until I reached a longer term stay location. (not necessarily a site)
Having been involved in the water industry in a past life, you can rest assured that your tap water will be all the disinfectant needed in a holding tank, and chilled, is indistinguishable from most expensive bottled confidence tricks.
When abroad, I have often filled up from fresh water springs where locals collect their water.

Just a sample. Maybe campsite water would be better, but I'm still alive.

Greece Apr to June 2016 027.JPGGreece Apr to June 2016 125.JPGDSCN2668.JPG

The children of today's youth may one day be shocked to discover that once in the past you could have access to water without empty plastic bottles lying on the ground.

The children of today's youth may one day be shocked to discover that once in the past you could have access to water without empty plastic bottles lying on the ground.
How true, I remember the humble ‘drinking fountain’ in parks, schools, town centres etc. Not a plastic bottle in sight.

Back