Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4motion

sd5000 said:
Or perhaps the electronic technology has moved on..... Had diff lock in my old 1998 Shogun, I needed it once in 5 years. Haven't needed it in any 4x4 I have had since across farms and very muddy fields :crazy

For me the bottom line is; if you spend as much as 55000 on a vehicle and the diff lock is additional 1000, there is nothing to hesitate.
Technology... the replacement of diff lock is based on braking one wheel to avoid spinning, I can imagine the heat and break pads suffering if you tend to do it extensively.

Shogun is completely different vehicle. high suspension, short, light and square. Will behave differently.

sd5000 said:
Or perhaps the electronic technology has moved on..... Had diff lock in my old 1998 Shogun, I needed it once in 5 years but to be fair it was fitted with off road tyres. Haven't needed it in any 4x4 I have had since across farms and very muddy fields :crazy. But if it's a cheap option, why not I suppose.

You could say that about LSDs too but no amount of electronic trickery will outdo a proper mechanical diff.

Electronics are great up to a point but for some things, you can't beat proper mechanical technology. Applies to drive trains, hand brakes (I hate electronic ones!) and more.

Sorry, but All current Range Rovers (dont include evoque in that, but think its got a Viscous coupling) and Discovery that have high and low ratio transfer box have an electronic Centre locking Diff and optional Electronic Rear locking Diff.
Defender Just has mechanical Centre diff lock.

Didn't someone else say that too?
I'd rather be in a Defender if things got really sticky. Or a Jimny ;-)

Hi Curtis,

Do let us know how the Rosmia fitting of the air sus goes... i am looking to fit the same system after Xmas..... van throwing a code that hints at EGR problem, so in next week for check over...... :cry:

And I'll Stick with my Disco !!
Unfortunately a 'company car' so cant be too wild :headbang

Many years ago my mate and I pulled a Defender out with a Freelander 1, cos the defender tyres grip were rubbish. As already mentioned the big factor is tyres first Electrickery second.

nclarke8 said:

And I'll Stick with my Disco !!
Unfortunately a 'company car' so cant be too wild :headbang

Many years ago my mate and I pulled a Defender out with a Freelander 1, cos the defender tyres grip were rubbish. As already mentioned the big factor is tyres first Electrickery second.

Nice company car to have!

I used to be a Geotech Engineer - we pushed our poor Toyota Hilux 4x4s and modded 110s to the absolute limit. If we got stuck, there was always a JCB around to haul us out :lol: With 3 tonne drilling rigs to tow and a pretty extreme working life, the LRs used to do a clutch every 6-8k miles and be completely dead after only a few years. I had one blow a piston through it's engine block at one stage...

On a "performance" driving note, 4motion really helps on wet tarmac too but people do get a little over excited about it - it appears now that if the road is wet and you have anything but an AWD Haldex car, you WILL die as soon as you press on. People seem terrified of RWD as if it's some deadly set up guaranteed to kill all drivers. Actually it's rather fun. :mrgreen:

greenfintry said:
Hi Curtis,

Do let us know how the Rosmia fitting of the air sus goes... i am looking to fit the same system after Xmas..... van throwing a code that hints at EGR problem, so in next week for check over...... :cry:

Sure will but its not going very well so far, I have waited 6 weeks it was due to go to Rosmia tomorrow the 18th I had transport arranged to and from there garage. They just rang lunchtime today the day before to say they can't do it due to sickness and they are now booked till December so will let me know the date.

:censor