Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 cali apple play noise

So have done what you suggested in this post makes no difference in actual fact it seems to make the situation worse once it happens it just happens constantly then I think the first software fault it’s definitely in the head unit if there is a software fault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So have done what you suggested in this post makes no difference in actual fact it seems to make the situation worse once it happens it just happens constantly then I think the first software fault it’s definitely in the head unit if there is a software fault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Worth a shot, and thanks for posting the update. I did warn to keep expectations low, which seems to be the case.

I guess one of us is right, one of us is not regarding the root cause. Time will tell, but the reason I think it's Apple, not head unit, is two fold:

1) Other forums have instances where it's the same car / unit / phone, the only thing that changed was the version of iOS. After they upgrading. the problem started.
2) It happens with other hardware. For example, there is a very similar white noise issue between the iPhone and Apples 'AirPod Max' premium on-ear headphones. This taken from an Apple forum:
1630684711212.png

I've yet to find something definitive that solves the issue, so this could be a slow burner.

Worth a shot, and thanks for posting the update. I did warn to keep expectations low, which seems to be the case.

I guess one of us is right, one of us is not regarding the root cause. Time will tell, but the reason I think it's Apple, not head unit, is two fold:

1) Other forums have instances where it's the same car / unit / phone, the only thing that changed was the version of iOS. After they upgrading. the problem started.
2) It happens with other hardware. For example, there is a very similar white noise issue between the iPhone and Apples 'AirPod Max' premium on-ear headphones. This taken from an Apple forum:
View attachment 83916

I've yet to find something definitive that solves the issue, so this could be a slow burner.
I went from T6.1 cali to week old T6.1 panel van and had the crackle within 15 minutes using the same lead & phone. Next day changed back to cali & there's no crackle. Problem has to be head unit end.

I went from T6.1 cali to week old T6.1 panel van and had the crackle within 15 minutes using the same lead & phone. Next day changed back to cali & there's no crackle. Problem has to be head unit end.
Well, yes and no.

On 7th June Apole launched their new lossless service, followed shortly afterwards by Spatial Audio. In additon to these new file formats., they also changed their API’s to accommodate their new service.

The system is supposed to check if the device the signal is sent to can handle the new data. If it can’t, it should send the old format. The firmware of that particular head unit might be sending the wrong signal back to the phone, or the phone might be sending a file format with a bit too much data (which then gets translated to white noise). Two units of the same head unitl can have different versions of firmware on it, so two units that are exactly the same from a hardware point of view can produce different results.

As I say, none of us know for sure. Maybe you are right and the head unit needs changing or a firmware update, or maybe the file format contains a bug and it needs sorting out by an iOS patch.

Thanks for the tip, will try it next week and report back.

I have had the issue since before the 7th June release.

This must be a VW issue with the 6.1, no problems at all with our t6 or BMW i3 with Car Play.

I would try a "CPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay" they were doing a $99 deal then you dont have to keep plugging your phone in. The IOS beta 15 is very stable and is worth trying. If it still happens it can only be the software in the head unit.

I would try a "CPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay" they were doing a $99 deal then you dont have to keep plugging your phone in. The IOS beta 15 is very stable and is worth trying. If it still happens it can only be the software in the head unit.
Good idea although I seen reports on other forums of this not fixing the issue. Suggests it a VW issue.

Anyone had any joy?

I tried CarPlay with ios15 today and experienced crackling/distortion towards the end of the first song I played.

I then did a factory reset and had no issues for the next 30 mins until I got home. Will see what happens on a longer drive at the weekend.

An iOS update (15.0.2) posted a few hours ago mentions fixes to CarPlay.

Specifically:
  • CarPlay may fail to open audio apps or disconnect during playback

Hopefully this helps some what.
I'll report back as soon as I'm able to test it out.

Hi, I still experienced the same issue after upgrading to ios15 and then ios15.0.1. Sometimes the crackling/distortion noise would start after a few songs.

Last week I did a full factory reset of the head unit. So far, I haven’t experienced the issue again… and that includes over 2 hours of continuous playback.

I continue to suspect this is an issue with the head unit software rather than iOS. Also to add I don’t think the cable I use makes a difference.

iOS 15.0.2 does not resolve this issue. Sadly.

I'm now using Bluetooth exclusively and it's rock solid. I will bring up this issue at my vans first service in the next month or so. Will report back.

yep good luck with that, i have reported to vw uk still waiting, very disappointed in VW quality

I’ve noticed it seldom happens when playing long podcasts, but yesterday during a 6 hour drive nearly every fourth song started crackling… Bluetooth is indeed without flawless, but I need carplay for navigation and easy switching of songs/podcasts etc

I posted above as I had the same issue on an iPhone 12 Pro. I’ve just upgraded to the iPhone 13 pro max and the issue has gone away… not sure if it’s the new phone or the newer IOS which had also been issued in the meantime - but I’ve had 3 x 4+hr journeys, using music already downloaded or streaming over Apple Music and (fingers crossed) the issue has gone away for me.

Just updated my iPhone to iOs 15.0.2 and now every song has noise starting from 15
seconds… Podcasts still show less problems. I hate this.

After 2.5 years of enduring this I’ve recently figured out that just turning the volume to zero, waiting for a few seconds and then turning it back up also clears the noise (until it happens again of course).

Gosh, really?! I’m going to try this. Normally I have to disconnect the whole thing which is annoying.

I've been experiencing the same annoying crackle with the following set-up and it's been driving us NUTS:
- 6.1 Coast MY2020, CarPlay wired (Both with Apple orgininal and non-Apple wires) on the simple head unit which runs only wired CarPlay (sadly) 6.5in Composition olour
- iPhone 7 using latest iOS 15.6.1
- ALSO happens when using the recently-acquired Carlinkit 4.0 - which I purchased because I was tired of my iPhone disconnecting from the head unit because of a not-quite-perfect cable connection. Restarting the head-unit several times a day on long drives became boring.
- happens while using Spotify and Apple Podcasts. Have quite all other apps to see whether my 'old' iPhone might be struggling with memory - no change
Seeing that I'm not the only one with this issue is a relief but also concerning that VW still don't appear to have been able to resolve it.

If you've had this, what have you done to solve or get around it?
Bonus question: these sofware updates - do they happen on their own, over the air, do they get pushed out? Are they done by dealers, eg if the Calis are in for a service, and/or do we owners need to specifically request them?

I've been experiencing the same annoying crackle with the following set-up and it's been driving us NUTS:
- 6.1 Coast MY2020, CarPlay wired (Both with Apple orgininal and non-Apple wires) on the simple head unit which runs only wired CarPlay (sadly) 6.5in Composition olour
- iPhone 7 using latest iOS 15.6.1
- ALSO happens when using the recently-acquired Carlinkit 4.0 - which I purchased because I was tired of my iPhone disconnecting from the head unit because of a not-quite-perfect cable connection. Restarting the head-unit several times a day on long drives became boring.
- happens while using Spotify and Apple Podcasts. Have quite all other apps to see whether my 'old' iPhone might be struggling with memory - no change
Seeing that I'm not the only one with this issue is a relief but also concerning that VW still don't appear to have been able to resolve it.

If you've had this, what have you done to solve or get around it?
Bonus question: these sofware updates - do they happen on their own, over the air, do they get pushed out? Are they done by dealers, eg if the Calis are in for a service, and/or do we owners need to specifically request them?
Thankfully, had none of your issues, but ref updates.

After we got our Cali in July we had a couple of OTA updates straight away and then one a few weeks later. Nothing since. No idea what they were for.

My understanding is that more core system updates are done by the dealer, either by appointment or during service. But - our experience of our Tiguan is you have to expressly ask else they tend not to bother as it takes them a few hours.

Back