Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 Cali height, over 2m

N

NessL

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Reading through this thread I still don’t know if my ocean will fit in my garage, has anyone been been able to confirm the height of a new ocean recently?Iv just ordered one for delivery next year, my converted T6 Transporter fitted in,(20 inch wheels lowered)but was tight. I hope at 206cm my ocean will go in, if not I need to book in to have to lowered before collecting it.

View attachment 80006

View attachment 80013
Our Coast has been lowered by VW by 30 and was measured this morning (to awning top) at 1970. Hardly anything loaded yet, so are hoping to clear 2m height barriers easily.
If you get it home and it’s a bit close, you could always load it up .

B

be1t0n

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
There's a small carpark in the park where my office is located. It used to be fine getting under the 2m barrier but then they resurfaced.......first time I went under i caught it. Appears to slope from one end to the other.

T

toeknee

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I’m very interested in this having just received my T6.1 Beach Camper and now it’s my only vehicle. I had a 10 year old estate car that I kept for when I needed to go into town (theatre, hospital or bank) as they all needed underground carparks. But as the trips into town dwindled to 1 or 2 per year (even prior to Covid) I could not justify the extra cost of running a second vehicle.
Now I have the dilemma that I have a hospital appointment for mammogram (the only time I visit the hospital)... but cannot work out where I can park. It is quite frustrating not knowing exactly how high the van is and how much allowance there is on the height barriers...
Havent measures my t6.1 coast but I’ve had it under several of those 2.1m yellow height barriers with a fair bit of clearance.

AlisonF

AlisonF

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Havent measures my t6.1 coast but I’ve had it under several of those 2.1m yellow height barriers with a fair bit of clearance.
2.1m seems fine. It’s the 2m ones I’m unsure about… but good to know you feel you have a fair bit of clearance at 2.1m, thank you.

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
There's a small carpark in the park where my office is located. It used to be fine getting under the 2m barrier but then they resurfaced.......first time I went under i caught it. Appears to slope from one end to the other.
At the entrance of the underground carpark where my office is, there is a 2m barrier. I touched it a couple of times as immediately after the barrier it slopes downhill. I retried going very slow in order to minimise damage and didn't touch at all.... Underground there's plenty of pipes and illuminated signs hanging at about 2,0001m. it looked from the driving position extremely low and close, confident that I would knock one off sooner or later but I didn't.

A

ardm17

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Will be buying 3 off fence posts from Wickes. Cut two at 2030mm and nail the third one across the top. Then two of us can pass this 'profile' along the van front to back. If that clears will cut 30mm off the sides and try again ..

Could even cut the cross one to size to check width profile ..

Last edited:
ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Will be buying 3 off fence posts from Wickes. Cut two at 2030mm and nail the third one across the top. Then two of us can pass this 'profile' along the van front to back. If that clears will cut 30mm of the sides and try again ..

Have you seen the price of timber lately?

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Will be buying 3 off fence posts from Wickes. Cut two at 2030mm and nail the third one across the top. Then two of us can pass this 'profile' along the van front to back. If that clears will cut 30mm off the sides and try again ..

Can I have the off cuts when you’re finished with them…

Algor

Algor

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
At the entrance of the underground carpark where my office is, there is a 2m barrier. I touched it a couple of times as immediately after the barrier it slopes downhill. I retried going very slow in order to minimise damage and didn't touch at all.... Underground there's plenty of pipes and illuminated signs hanging at about 2,0001m. it looked from the driving position extremely low and close, confident that I would knock one off sooner or later but I didn't.
Balls of Steel:shocked

Stu@rt

Stu@rt

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Also watching with interest. Was planning to swap the garage door for a roller or similar (that could lose the wooden door frame) Absolute max (If there is a door that could open all the way to the Catnic lintel) would be 2.06. So not a lot of headroom. Will be beyond disappointed if the Coast that is on order is over the advertised 1.99
Cali arrived 31st July and I ordered a new sectional garage door 4 days later, after the estimater convinced me his plan would give me enough headroom. The lead time slipped (just like plenty of others) And it was eventually installed today. So four months after bringing her home, she is at last tucked away tonight. Sectional door fitted inside the brickwork (not between as was previously) with the wooden frame removed has given me the 2.06 mentioned above. The pic below suggests that 2m plus the gap equals my 2.06 headroom. Pleased with the look of the new door and even more pleased that the Cali is locked away safe and sound.

IMG-20211125-WA0003.jpeg

Explorer

Explorer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Cali arrived 31st July and I ordered a new sectional garage door 4 days later, after the estimater convinced me his plan would give me enough headroom. The lead time slipped (just like plenty of others) And it was eventually installed today. So four months after bringing her home, she is at last tucked away tonight. Sectional door fitted inside the brickwork (not between as was previously) with the wooden frame removed has given me the 2.06 mentioned above. The pic below suggests that 2m plus the gap equals my 2.06 headroom. Pleased with the look of the new door and even more pleased that the Cali is locked away safe and sound.

View attachment 86986
We have a similar experience - a tight fit all round but just glad it fits in the garage!

7532146C-CE3F-42DF-A272-7991428754D7.jpeg

Stu@rt

Stu@rt

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
We have a similar experience - a tight fit all round but just glad it fits in the garage!

View attachment 86987
Do you worry about how payload effects ride height? First time in the garage tonight, but with 3/4 fuel. No water onboard, but maybe 20kg of camping odds n ends. I guess I should be wary when fuel is on the fumes. But looks like you are far tighter for headroom than me. Wow. Hats off to you sir.

Explorer

Explorer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Do you worry about how payload effects ride height? First time in the garage tonight, but with 3/4 fuel. No water onboard, but maybe 20kg of camping odds n ends. I guess I should be wary when fuel is on the fumes. But looks like you are far tighter for headroom than me. Wow. Hats off to you sir.
We tend to empty the van before we pop it in the garage because we can’t open the tailgate once inside - so it can only be at a little lower. We also fill up just before we get home so the tank is always full (ish). But to be honest my other half watches the van inside from a step ladder every time. I have been tempted to lower it but so far we have managed :)
I have to be honest that if it had been me watching the van under first time we did this I probably would have bottled it - but now we have done it once we are a bit more relaxed!! (Though we do not attempt it in the dark or after a very long drive home!)
Best not to get complacent though!

Last edited:

VW California Club