Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 Ocean - Specific Questions

I think that most questions have been answered now.

I have heated front screen. I had this on a couple of Ford cars, and the Ford windscreen works great. The VW heated windscreen is crap in comparison.

Keep with the double glazed rear window.

I have added radar blind spot system which works well for us. I put this on to give confidence to wife and kids when driving. It has proved itself a couple of times.

I've just added a solar kit to keep the batteries charged for some wild camping experiences.

I added a VW rear view camera. It was a pain to install as per VW original, but is probably the best thing I've added. I drive with VW bike rack permanently fitted.

Do a search on here for other configurator options. I'm sure I read that some things which we thought were standard fit were not installed by VW because a tick box was either ticked or un-ticked in the configurator at time of order.
I'd be interested what solar kit you added to your Van? We wre thinking of it but be good to get some advice but no doubt there's load of info it I search
I think that most questions have been answered now.

I have heated front screen. I had this on a couple of Ford cars, and the Ford windscreen works great. The VW heated windscreen is crap in comparison.

Keep with the double glazed rear window.

I have added radar blind spot system which works well for us. I put this on to give confidence to wife and kids when driving. It has proved itself a couple of times.

I've just added a solar kit to keep the batteries charged for some wild camping experiences.

I added a VW rear view camera. It was a pain to install as per VW original, but is probably the best thing I've added. I drive with VW bike rack permanently fitted.

Do a search on here for other configurator options. I'm sure I read that some things which we thought were standard fit were not installed by VW because a tick box was either ticked or un-ticked in the configurator at time of order.
I'd be interested to know what solar kit you bought for your van, I have just started looking for our new 6.1 so advice most welcome, although I suspect there's loads on this site if I start digging?

I had the Aracaju alloy wheels on my 6.1. I've just sold the wheels and tyres back to the supplying dealer, didn't want the look, bling or easy scuff looking style. Really didn't like the tricky pronunciation either. Wanted to fit the excellent all season Michelin Cross Climate tyres anyway, have replaced with these Cali 18" Disc alloys in white. Photo isnt of my car, I have a Beach 6.1. They come with grey spokes too. CALI DISC ALLOY.jpg

ACC radar cruise is very, very handy on long journeys and start stop slow traffic, I find it essential on cars now Ive had it. Many other safety devices might ( and I say might) encourage poor driving safety habits like looking over your shoulder every time so your call. IMHO lane assist and steering wheel wobbler might not be needed but stability programs and side wind assist might come in handy. My wife's Volvo has all the safety devices they make. She does have many, many talents. It's just driving isn't one of them.

I'd be interested what solar kit you added to your Van? We wre thinking of it but be good to get some advice but no doubt there's load of info it I search

I'd be interested to know what solar kit you bought for your van, I have just started looking for our new 6.1 so advice most welcome, although I suspect there's loads on this site if I start digging?
I bought the 2x panel dual battery kit from Roger Donoghue on here.

You'll also get a 5% discount as a VIP member.

I also bought the MT11 remote display after the initial purchase, and am pleased how it all works.

I did have to extend the cable 400mm for the MT11 and also the supplied cable for the engine battery connection to the engine starter relay (by 400mm).

I used my angle grinder to trim down the relay mounting bracket, in order to improve access.

Because I was concerned about some bugger simply unbolting the panels, I also changed the plated panel fixings to be stainless steel and use stainless shear nuts instead of the plated nylocs.

I am going to make a cover to go over the panel connectors/cable on the top face of the panels, as these don't look nice and seem prone to damage.

I can provide photos, cabling route, and stainless fastener details if required.

I am very pleased with the kit. Everything is supplied and would work....I just wanted to use different routes to improve the look.

Excellent, I'd seen Solar Camper Solutions and started to look at them. Maybe I'll come back to you and take you up on your kind offer re cabling route etc once I have started to progress ordering with them, many thanks.

I bought the 2x panel dual battery kit from Roger Donoghue on here.

You'll also get a 5% discount as a VIP member.

I also bought the MT11 remote display after the initial purchase, and am pleased how it all works.

I did have to extend the cable 400mm for the MT11 and also the supplied cable for the engine battery connection to the engine starter relay (by 400mm).

I used my angle grinder to trim down the relay mounting bracket, in order to improve access.

Because I was concerned about some bugger simply unbolting the panels, I also changed the plated panel fixings to be stainless steel and use stainless shear nuts instead of the plated nylocs.

I am going to make a cover to go over the panel connectors/cable on the top face of the panels, as these don't look nice and seem prone to damage.

I can provide photos, cabling route, and stainless fastener details if required.

I am very pleased with the kit. Everything is supplied and would work....I just wanted to use different routes to improve the look.
Thanks that would be great....

I hadn't mentioned solar kit but I'm a photographer and have industrial quantities of power hungry equipment. Take a look at Goalzero, I've used quite a lot of their kit in some harsh conditions and it has worked brilliantly. Depending on your requirements, it might be of interest.

A

Hi, almost to take delivery of Cali Ocean. Specific question with regards reversing camera.

Can you see left & right rear as well as just rear. IE: reversing off drive over pavement, can not see pedestrians on footpath to rear left. Does the reversing camera help with this?

If not, any practical solutions?

Hi, almost to take delivery of Cali Ocean. Specific question with regards reversing camera.

Can you see left & right rear as well as just rear. IE: reversing off drive over pavement, can not see pedestrians on footpath to rear left. Does the reversing camera help with this?

If not, any practical solutions?
The VW camera is wide angle. So you do cover slightly wider than the width of the van. But the shorter the distance between the van and the rear objects the more acute the angle and effectively you see less.

I have installed rearwards blind spot radar in the small panels beneath the rear lights. These pick up on people, bikes, cars, lorries that are approaching the rear and illuminate a small indicator light in the windscreen pillars.

This works well as the rear view camera and the blindspot radar compliment each other.

I have just bought a 360degree camera system to install next year. This will provide a clear 'combined' image around the complete van.

@Alan Andrews - just curious - which system did you pick up? Definitely something on the cards after I install the active TPMS :)
I'm assuming by TPMS you are referring to my comments about the 360degree camera system. Off ebay. I needed to buy calibration mats and display too. Details below. I have tested it off the Cali and it is good. I might need to increase the size of the display, but I will do real life tests beforehand. Only difficulty is the need to add cameras to the side mirror bodies which requires a hole being cut in each (drill supplied with the kit).

I'm assuming by TPMS you are referring to my comments about the 360degree camera system. Off ebay. I needed to buy calibration mats and display too. Details below. I have tested it off the Cali and it is good. I might need to increase the size of the display, but I will do real life tests beforehand. Only difficulty is the need to add cameras to the side mirror bodies which requires a hole being cut in each (drill supplied with the kit).

apologies for the confusion. No, the TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) is a separate project :) ... I have all the parts for that ... and installing on the T6 one part at a time when I get the time.

Thank you for the links to the 360 deg camera and the associated items. Looks interesting. The icing on the cake will be - if there is a system that can interface with the existing head unit.

Back