Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Ocean - which options to chose?

N

NickC

Lifetime VIP Member
I hope to be be placing an order for a 199 DSG Ocean in the near future and am considering the following options:
  • Indiu grey Metalic (wife's choice)
  • Alcantara upholstery
  • Front & Rear parking sensors with Camera
  • Removable Towbar
  • App connect & 6.33 touch screen Radio
  • Privacy glass
  • LED Headlights
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Comfort sleeping mat
Before I place the order I though I'd just ask for people's opinions on this list of options. Is there anything I've missed that you either have and wouldn't do without or you haven't got and wished you did?
  • Are LED headlights worth the extra cost? Are they that much better? I don't plan to do extensive night driving, but plans can change.
  • Is Adaptive cruise control worth having? My wife has a car with 'standard' cruise control and we almost never use it because of traffic.
  • Is the Comfort sleeping mat worth having or are there better 3rd party equivalents
Thank you in advance to anybody who takes time to respond.

I hope to be be placing an order for a 199 DSG Ocean in the near future and am considering the following options:
  • Alcantara upholstery
  • Removable Towbar
  • Privacy glass
  • LED Headlights
  • Comfort sleeping mat
Before I place the order I though I'd just ask for people's opinions on this list of options. Is there anything I've missed that you either have and wouldn't do without or you haven't got and wished you did?
  • Are LED headlights worth the extra cost? Are they that much better? I don't plan to do extensive night driving, but plans can change.
  • Is Adaptive cruise control worth having? My wife has a car with 'standard' cruise control and we almost never use it because of traffic.
  • Is the Comfort sleeping mat worth having or are there better 3rd party equivalents

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/search/24262979/?q=Options&o=relevance

Everyone will have their own preference or take on which Options are necessary I’m afraid and there is no correct answer.
See the above link.

Nice spec, a Cali is not a Cali without an awning IMHO (and many others). ACC vs normal cruise is an important decision and splits opinion as you cannot use AAC 'normally' ie without the adaptive element - I would go normal cruise every time but we use ours mainly on French autoroutes not the M25 etc.

As WG says opinions are all different on options but you have a good basis (once awning added!).

Awning, privacy, rear parking sensors are the only three *absolute must* haves in my book. Anything else is up for argument.

Picked up my Cali last week. The ACC & App connect are superb. The LED with auto dip function, are also superb but very much a luxury item due to the price. I would spec them again though. The app connect surprised me. You can have apple maps providing direction with Waze running in the background providing speed warnings etc perfect.

ask 10 owners and you will get 10 different answers.

I would say thats a nice spec. I didnt go for the comfort mattress and spent it on the zonesleep ultra instead.
Personally I went for the 78ltr tank and stiffer anti roll bars and gave the LEDS,s and Alcantara amiss otherwise same as yours extras wise.

I had the mattress option but find that upstairs sleeping is better, only 2 of us, as it gives more instant room downstairs to undress/dress etc. Quieter sleep down below though.

I'd add the Heavy duty antiroll bars, Cali's top heavy compared to a commercial van.

I'd keep the adaptive cruise even if only for long runs or to keep to speed limits, it will not exceed the set speed as well as normal cruise function in not going slower.With DSG it makes sense as a complete package.

LED headlights I'd have paid up to £1200 but thought it a rip off at VW's price. You can upgrade the Halogen bulbs for about £50 to give an improvement over the standard bulbs.
Some Motoring Press articles warning buyers off them due to the high replacement costs. This would affect potential purchasers when selling the vehicle in a few years time.
They are better in light performance terms and can be set for either UK or Continental driving from the options menu.

Privacy glass isn't like most saloon cars in actual privacy terms. I added inner film to achieve an acceptable level. Have a good look at a showroom model to judge if it meets your needs.

Rev camera and sensors, big yes to that option.

Awning I'd agree with others to have it.

If I was buying again, I’d have ACC again. Also electrically heated windscreen, reverse camera, app connect. I’d add HD anti roll bars too. Agree with the above about awning

I don’t have LED headlights, and they’re so expensive. Still not sure I’d add them. Good if you live rurally and likely to drive a lot at night; not do much if it’s a summer camping cruiser (you’re camped up at night, so headlights not important)?

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

I love the ACC, but my wife never uses it. Depends on your driving style I guess. App connect is awesome, especially now with Google maps. I find the normal Ocean headlights just fine...

ACC definitely gets our vote. You can travel huge distances, even in traffic, without ever having to touch a pedal.

Awning adds to the joy of sitting outside and would be sadly missed. We sleep very comfortably upstairs with the standard mattress provided. Parking sensors and camera are a great asset.

• Alcantara upholstery
  • Removable Towbar
  • Privacy glass
  • LED Headlights
  • Comfort sleeping mat
We have the lights would order them again, the adaptive cruise defo, excellent in crawling traffic. The comfort mattress I can’t compare as only tried that one.hope that helps.

Forgot to mention the rear camera. Not essential but very useful, especially in tight parking when I want to make sure I leave enough space to lift the rear door. Regular top mattress with thin self-inflating thermarests on top is fine for us. They deflate to 2mm thick so we leave them in.

There are a lot of posts about how disappointing the standard lights are....more like candles...much improved by putting 150% bulbs in, but I would definitely go for the led for our next California. Have a search.

Anti roll bars and lowered suspension can be done easily and relatively cheaply aftermarket, but I have to say that was the best thing we did in making the van more drive able without everyone on board feeling sick from the wallowing...bit stiffer ride of course.

AWD and ACC, best choices in my humble opinion. I didn't get LED on mine but I think I'll upgrade in the future. I think you've got a got setup.

I would add that I think the rear camera is essential... particularly with ehe ocean the wardrobe, head rests and bike rack if you have one...really make it difficult to see. Particularly of the van is an everyday driver as well...not needed in campsites so much.

Dynamic cruise is a nice to have, but it’s really nice to have and suits the nature of the vehicle where you are covering large distances.

Another essential is to fit seat covers...the nature of the van is they get filthy...which makes the expensive alcantara pointless as I guarantee you will quickly realise the need to cover them. There are some really neat fitting ones such as the Brandrup ones that don’t look like an afterthought. Remember you will be cooking eating in there, clambering on the front seats to get upstairs and generally lounging around with your feet up.

Hope that helps

We have just placed our order for an Ocean due next March. We have all the items on your list but not the alcantara seats. We intend to buy second skin Brandrup covers because you can take them off periodically and machine wash on wool cycle. I like the light airy look of pale grey.
We have ordered the lane assist thing as well as the camera. We also have the awning on order ( I thought it was included but sadly not!) And the comfort mattress as there's just two of us and so maximising storage isn't such a big issue and it looks really easy to fold out.
The other very late addition was to switch to two tone after seeing a heart stoppingly beautiful Ocean in the Lake District! Oh and we got the bigger fuel tank and the satnav.
Hope this helps! We're first timers so rely on the forum opinions a lot!

Also just remembered heated front and rear windscreens. This will be our everyday vehicle so wanted these!

We also like the pale grey interior and had it coated (via the VW dealer) with AutoGlym Lifeshine which comes with a supply of after care products. The worst looking stains we have encountered have been caused by water. Following advice from AutoGlym, using their upholstery shampoo and cloths, we have quickly and easily cleaned the seats ourselves and they come up looking good as new.

I wouldn't be without my 'holdherdown5000' The same one quagmire has

Also just remembered heated front and rear windscreens. This will be our everyday vehicle so wanted these!

When you say front and rear screens. Do you mean electrically heated? I have a heated front screen and it’s great, but if you have a heated rear screen, it deletes the double glazing; you don’t need a heated rear screen (mines a daily drive too)

When you say front and rear screens. Do you mean electrically heated? I have a heated front screen and it’s great, but if you have a heated rear screen, it deletes the double glazing; you don’t need a heated rear screen (mines a daily drive too)

You don’t need the Front heated screen either. Just use the Parking Heater Remote 30 mins before departure and ALL windows are de-iced and the vehicle warmed up inside.
The Double Glazed Rear Window is expensive to replace and will lose its seal and go milky in time. Been mentioned already on the Forum.

Thanks. We read through the forum threads on heated rear screen vs double glazed and decided in the end to go for the heated screen.

We have just placed our order for an Ocean due next March. We have all the items on your list but not the alcantara seats. We intend to buy second skin Brandrup covers because you can take them off periodically and machine wash on wool cycle. I like the light airy look of pale grey.
We have ordered the lane assist thing as well as the camera. We also have the awning on order ( I thought it was included but sadly not!) And the comfort mattress as there's just two of us and so maximising storage isn't such a big issue and it looks really easy to fold out.
The other very late addition was to switch to two tone after seeing a heart stoppingly beautiful Ocean in the Lake District! Oh and we got the bigger fuel tank and the satnav.
Hope this helps! We're first timers so rely on the forum opinions a lot!
Just wonder why a bigger fuel tank is required. You get a range of 500 miles, or more, on the standard tank. you are just adding extra weight in fuel when filled, do you run your tank down and fill to brim always?

I also wonder about the long term viability of vehicle based satnav as at some point the USA system we currently used will turn off and the new EU based system will take over. Compatability??

Just thoughts.

I went for the bigger tank. I certainly run it well down on my car. The bigger tank means I can buy when the price is right which more than covers any cost of carrying extra fuel load and going to get it. I get no range anxiety. I spend less time driving to fuel stations, standing by my vehicle and waiting to pay.

I went for the bigger tank. I certainly run it well down on my car. The bigger tank means I can buy when the price is right which more than covers any cost of carrying extra fuel load and going to get it. I get no range anxiety. I spend less time driving to fuel stations, standing by my vehicle and waiting to pay.
Surely the time spent standing by your vehicle (filling it up) will be the same? You stand for longer, but not as often. Those with small tanks more frequently but for not as long. ;)