Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Ocean - which options to chose?

Surely the time spent standing by your vehicle (filling it up) will be the same? You stand for longer, but not as often. Those with small tanks more frequently but for not as long. ;)
If you stand there less often you stand there less time overall while your waiting for the pump to crank up and switch off and you fetch and carry the hose etc I’m sure you grasped it.

Three things I would add to my order if I were to do it again would be, bigger fuel tank, tow bar (or just prep) and chrome pack (mainly for the black B pillars).

I went for the bigger tank. I certainly run it well down on my car. The bigger tank means I can buy when the price is right which more than covers any cost of carrying extra fuel load and going to get it. I get no range anxiety. I spend less time driving to fuel stations, standing by my vehicle and waiting to pay.
On new price list there is no tank size option. On vans its £78 extra or approx 60 litres of fuel currently. I suppose eventually after some time a profit could be made on fuel cost potential saving.
Interesting to see if anyone can be bothered to prove the mathematics.:thumb

On new price list there is no tank size option. On vans its £78 extra or approx 60 litres of fuel currently. I suppose eventually after some time a profit could be made on fuel cost potential saving.
Interesting to see if anyone can be bothered to prove the mathematics.:thumb
I paid £55 plus VAT minus 14% discount for an 80 litre tank (£56.76).

Since the beginning of the year I have refuelled 31 times with 2126 litres of fuel: average 68.58 litres per tank.

Assuming with a 70 litre tank I would have an average refuel of 58.58 litres, I would have refueled ~36.25 times, so have saved 5.25 refuels. Assuming each refuel takes 15 minutes, I have saved about 1 hr 15 minutes including the extra ~10 seconds for the extra 10 litres. At minimum wage of £7.50 per hour I've clawed back £9.37 of my £56.76 investment. At a rate of £45 per hour I've very nearly made my money back.

Of course, on average, I'll be carrying an extra 5 litres of fuel ~4Kg. But I'll be saving on fuel by not having to accelerate out of a filling station from stationary with a cooler engine so often. I expect the two more or less cancel each other out.

Since the beginning of the year I have refuelled 31 times with 2126 litres of fuel: average 68.58 litres per tank.

Assuming with a 70 litre tank I would have an average refuel of 58.58 litres, I would have refueled ~36.25 times, so have saved 5.25 refuels. Assuming each refuel takes 15 minutes, I have saved about 1 hr 15 minutes including the extra ~10 seconds for the extra 10 litres. At minimum wage of £7.50 per hour I've clawed back £9.37 of my £56.76 investment. At a rate of £45 per hour I've very nearly made my money back.

Of course, on average, I'll be carrying an extra 5 litres of fuel ~4Kg. But I'll be saving on fuel by not having to accelerate out of a filling station from stationary with a cooler engine so often. I expect the two more or less cancel each other out.
Didn't realise I should be on minimum wage when refuelling or even more. Who do I claim from?

Good evening ,

There is so much to add to the configuration of a California that is mind boggling .

But it makes sense to have so many options because people and there needs and wishes are different .

Heated wind screen
If it would work as I expected I would see it as important. I switched on the heating but it is not that effective as I expected and it feels a bit like a waste to me.

Bigger tank
If available I would go for it. It was not so expensive and the extra reach is a bonus. I get about 950 km out of a tank (70 l), but I would prefer more. Travelling through remote areas one can't always assume there is a petrol station .

LED lights
They might be brilliant, but expensive. To purchase them is expensive and I don't want to know how much they are to repair or to replace (out of warranty, accident).

204 (199) HP engine (when have they changed?)
Almost everywhere is a speed limit (yes even in Germany) and my scepties with the 150 HP is gone. Enough power to get me where I want to go. Up and down hills, country roads, motorways etc. If I feel not happy and save to overtake then I stay behind whatever it is.

Regards,
Eberhard

Didn't realise I should be on minimum wage when refuelling or even more. Who do I claim from?

I was just trying to give a value to time. Minimum wage and the cost per hour of an emergency plumber (in London, before VAT) were the figures I gave. Others may, of course, put a different value on their time.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Wow. You can tell the seasons over for some.