Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

7 Seat Arrangement

mike5im5

mike5im5

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I know quite impractical (given the weight of the bench and difficulty removing). However, is it possible to put the two captains seats behind the bench? I appreciate you'd have to remove the bench first which is a 2-3 man job but I just wondered if there was room to install and insert rail covers in this order.

I like having the three young kids not too fair from drivers cab and potentially, being a third row being the captains seats when we know we wont be camping in the near future.

I think you could probably do it by removing the multiflex instead of the bench. Slide the multiflex forward then put the captains chairs in via the tailgate entrance. Or can you not access the rail covers from the back?

Probably still have some access issues getting the rear passengers out though

EDIT: SORRY, I looked at some pics online and looks like you can’t do it that way. How good would it be if you could though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know quite impractical (given the weight of the bench and difficulty removing). However, is it possible to put the two captains seats behind the bench? I appreciate you'd have to remove the bench first which is a 2-3 man job but I just wondered if there was room to install and insert rail covers in this order.

I like having the three young kids not too fair from drivers cab and potentially, being a third row being the captains seats when we know we wont be camping in the near future.
I reckon you could do it.

Have the two captain's seats rear facing and passengers could enter and exit via the tailgate if the multiflex was removed.

Whatever you do, mind your fingers and your back. A dealer (VW - not drug) told me the 3 seat bench is around 180kg.

I can't recall ever seeing a post where anyone has actually done this. Your problem would probably be access and egress to the rear seats from the sliding door. That would be a safety concern in the event of an accident. It might be possible but it would be tight.

To do this you would have to remove the bench seat before putting the swivel seats in and then sliding them backwards. I do seem to remember someone posted a while ago saying that they had removed the bench using an engine hoist and some help.

I can't recall ever seeing a post where anyone has actually done this. Your problem would probably be access and egress to the rear seats from the sliding door. That would be a safety concern in the event of an accident. It might be possible but it would be tight.

To do this you would have to remove the bench seat before putting the swivel seats in and then sliding them backwards. I do seem to remember someone posted a while ago saying that they had removed the bench using an engine hoist and some help.
Here:

I reckon you could do it.

Have the two captain's seats rear facing and passengers could enter and exit via the tailgate if the multiflex was removed.
Yes that's possible. You could even gain access to each swivel from the rear even if they were facing forward by climbing through between them. However, I doubt if the vehicle was ever designed or tested in this configuration and whilst possible it would be this access/egress safety issue that would concern me.

Actually one thing has just occurred to me. Access might be a lot easier via the slider than I first thought. The seat back on the later three seat bench model folds flat in the forward direction. I cannot remember if it's possible to do this easily from the rear swivel seat position though. You may need assistance from someone in front of the bench.

Last edited:
Yes that's possible. You could even gain access to each swivel from the rear even if they were facing forward by climbing through between them. However, I doubt if the vehicle was ever designed or tested in this configuration and whilst possible it would be this access/egress safety issue that would concern me.
The Caravelle, which is in many ways very similar to the Beach, can be bought with a 2, 2, 2 configuration. What I don't know is if the two rear seats are swivel seats, but if it is OK for the Caravelle, I'd be fairly confident with it in the Beach.

Edit: In the six seat Caravelle, and the eight seat LWB Caravelle, the rearmost seats are non swivel.

Last edited:
On thing I did for my youngest when we went to the zoo was to put the extra captains chair on the middle two rails and pull it as far forward as possible.

With the extra height of her child seat and the central position right near us - she loved the view and we could stick the dummy back in easily .

You could then pull the bench forwards and perhaps have your other two children on the outer two seats.

On thing I did for my youngest when we went to the zoo was to put the extra captains chair on the middle two rails and pull it as far forward as possible.

With the extra height of her child seat and the central position right near us - she loved the view and we could stick the dummy back in easily .

You could then pull the bench forwards and perhaps have your other two children on the outer two seats.

Thats an awesome suggestion. Hadn’t thought about using a single captain seat that way. Much easier too

Last edited:
The Caravelle, which is in many ways very similar to the Beach, can be bought with a 2, 2, 2 configuration. What I don't know is if the two rear seats are swivel seats, but if it is OK for the Caravelle, I'd be fairly confident with it in the Beach.
Good point, althought with the 2,2,2 configuration, access/egress from the rear can be achieved via the gap between the middle row. Not as easy if the Bench forms the middle row. Also it's made easier by having the swivel facility on the middle row.

From memory, on the Caravelle with 2,2,2 configuration all four rear seats are identical swivels.

I've taken the bed-bench out on a multivan (it's the same one). It wasn't a problem for two people who can lift reasonably heavy things.

Back