Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Basic Beach questions

R

Ru55

Hi all,

I've recently been looking at purchasing a VW T5 with the idea of being a family vehicle / Day Van / Road tripper. ( We travel from the UK to Sweden every Year )

My initial needs were comfortable cabin space, modern and well built. Two swivel captains chairs. A full size bench to bed on rails that slid forward in everyday mode to act as passenger seats and allow a large amount of space in the rear for bags / bikes etc or slid back to allow an eating / chilling space when captains seats are turned around to face into the van.

I also love the idea of twin sliding doors for the flexibility it offers.

I've looked at purchasing a Kombi and retro fitting the sliding bench / bed. Gives me everything i need but seems less than ideal to purchase a new van just to chuck the seats and put in reails and a bench...

The Caravelle seems to have the same issues obviously, but I really like the full window look down the sides.

I only found out about the Beach last night. - ( My partner and I went into our local dealer last week to get figures and configure a Kombi, Despite me saying what I wanted to do with it the dealer didn't even mention the Beach..! )

I guess what I'm trying to do here is find out how well the Beach will fit my ' plans '

Can the bench seats slide the length of the van or is it a unlock and lift job?

Can I chose to have just the bench in the back? ( I'm assuming this is what is meant by the 5 seat option? )

If yes to the above how does the bed option work in terms of length etc?

Can I get sportline bumpers and aero fitted?

Having fallen for the idea of twin sliding doors how much of a compromise is just one on the ' wrong side '?

What if any negatives would you highlight about the Beach?

I apologise in advance for the list of questions. These type of forums always rely on the goodwill and patience of the contributors and I in no way take that for granted, but I'm fully aware that this is a very valuable resource and want to gain as much info as possible. I hope you understand and ultimately sympathise :)

Thanks for your time.

Russ

By the sounds of things the beach is your solution. We find the single sliding door acceptable and with the five seat, bench configuration, this slides the full length of the van, minus around a foot at each end.

The downstairs bed is the full width of the van and is more than long enough for my 5'10".

Regarding the cosmetic upgrades, if you talk to a proper dealership like SMG, anything is possible, and has probably been done a hundred times already!!

Hi Russ

I will give you my personal opinion.

I hope you don't mind but before i answer your questions, I will just explain about seating an apologies if you know this.

There are two different layouts when it comes to the Beach, one Beach is designed more for camping and the other adds a MPV element. The original Beach is the two seater in the back with the storage Box, this converts into a lower bed, the multiplex board in the back is also less adjustable and lower. The advantage of this layout is that you're no so reliant on the roof being up and the bed is probably more comfortable without a mattress, the storage chest is also a pretty good idea and these lend themselves well to having an addition pods added. The rear seat is only for two and if you want an addition rear seat, you can have only one.

The Beaches you see with a three seater Bench in the back are aiming to have some MPV practicality, it's similar to the Caravelle seat without the fold down armrest. The bed is much higher when flat but you can get two addition single swivels seat in the back and the multiplex board is more adjustable, so you can push the rear seat further back and maximise space. You can also add VW's own clime box to these.

I think understanding that goes a long way to identifying what Beach you want, because both are different and give you something different.

I have answered your other question in your quote below.

Ru55 said:
Hi all,

I've recently been looking at purchasing a VW T5 with the idea of being a family vehicle / Day Van / Road tripper. ( We travel from the UK to Sweden every Year )

My initial needs were comfortable cabin space, modern and well built. Two swivel captains chairs. A full size bench to bed on rails that slid forward in everyday mode to act as passenger seats and allow a large amount of space in the rear for bags / bikes etc or slid back to allow an eating / chilling space when captains seats are turned around to face into the van.

I also love the idea of twin sliding doors for the flexibility it offers.

I've looked at purchasing a Kombi and retro fitting the sliding bench / bed. Gives me everything i need but seems less than ideal to purchase a new van just to chuck the seats and put in reails and a bench...

The Caravelle seems to have the same issues obviously, but I really like the full window look down the sides.

I only found out about the Beach last night. - ( My partner and I went into our local dealer last week to get figures and configure a Kombi, Despite me saying what I wanted to do with it the dealer didn't even mention the Beach..! )

I guess what I'm trying to do here is find out how well the Beach will fit my ' plans '

Can the bench seats slide the length of the van or is it a unlock and lift job?

Yes, the seat can slide up and down the van, you will be limited by the rear board though.

Can I chose to have just the bench in the back? ( I'm assuming this is what is meant by the 5 seat option? )

I think I answered this initially, if i have understood you correctly.

If yes to the above how does the bed option work in terms of length etc?

You can, if you have the three seater bench in the back and two additional seats in the back make the long bed. I am not sure about length, I would have though the bed in the two seater Beach on its own would be longer the standard three seater bench.

Can I get sportline bumpers and aero fitted?

Yep, not a problem, it's just a T5, so everything that's OEM body wise can go on, I have even added Sportline rear lights.

Having fallen for the idea of twin sliding doors how much of a compromise is just one on the ' wrong side '?

I personally think for camping, one sliding door is better, it's more cosy and feels safer at night. The door on the wrong side has never bothered me, at times it can be a benefit, but it's never been something that really notice now. What you also notice is by having the one door is that there is bags of storage down the sidewall.

What if any negatives would you highlight about the Beach?

I guess you pay for the concept, you seem to have done the sensible thing and gone through the options. If you look at a Velle, in terms of equipment, you're getting a luxury vehicle. VW expect you to pay for the poptop roof and the camping concept. There's no doubt on paper the Beach is expensive, most of us would say what it gives back more than makes up for that. But it's hard to wander around a dealership and look at that full specced demo Velle for 35k and then at a similar Beach and it hasn't even got fog lights. That said, i think it's bags of character and there's no doubt it puts a smile on your face.

I apologise in advance for the list of questions. These type of forums always rely on the goodwill and patience of the contributors and I in no way take that for granted, but I'm fully aware that this is a very valuable resource and want to gain as much info as possible. I hope you understand and ultimately sympathise :)

Thanks for your time.

No prob, i think i've answered as much as i can, but happy to clarify anything.

Russ

redredzimmer said:
By the sounds of things the beach is your solution. We find the single sliding door acceptable and with the five seat, bench configuration, this slides the full length of the van, minus around a foot at each end.

The downstairs bed is the full width of the van and is more than long enough for my 5'10".

Regarding the cosmetic upgrades, if you talk to a proper dealership like SMG, anything is possible, and has probably been done a hundred times already!!

Thanks for your reply.

I'll look at SMG and see what they can do for me.

Another question if I may. When looking at the Kombi it was evident that some sound proofing and insulation would be needed keep the van habitable and reducing road / running noise when driving.

What are the noise levels like in the Beach?

Thanks

Russ

Ru55 said:
redredzimmer said:

Thanks for your reply.

I'll look at SMG and see what they can do for me.

Another question if I may. When looking at the Kombi it was evident that some sound proofing and insulation would be needed keep the van habitable and reducing road / running noise when driving.

What are the noise levels like in the Beach?

Thanks

Russ

Hi Russ

I have never found it noisy, you could spec laminated glass, that might reduce noise, it's a fairly refined vehicle, I am not sure it is as refined as a full Velle or Cali SE.

But we don't have to sit in the van shouting at each other, some people have had rattles in their Beach but I've been okay.

James

James said:
Hi Russ

I hope you don't mind but before i answer your questions, I will just explain about seating an apologies if you know this.

There are two different layouts when it comes to the Beach, one Beach is designed more for camping and the other adds a MPV element. The original Beach is the two seater in the back with the storage Box, this converts into a lower bed, the multiplex board in the back is also less adjustable and lower. The advantage of this layout is that you're no so reliant on the roof being up and the bed is probably more comfortable without a mattress, the storage chest is also a pretty good idea and these lend themselves well to having an addition pods added. The rear seat is only for two and if you want an addition rear seat, you can have only one.

The Beaches you see with a three seater Bench in the back are aiming to have some MPV practicality, it's similar to the Caravelle seat without the fold down armrest. The bed is much higher when flat but you can get two addition single swivels seat in the back and the multiplex board is more adjustable, so you can push the rear seat further back and maximise space. You can also add VW's own clime box to these.

I think understanding that goes a long way to identifying what Beach you want, because both are different and give you something different.

Thanks for taking the time to reply James.

I'm being a bit slow here, sorry.

Is it possible - from factor spec - to just have the 3 seater bench on rails and no other seating in the back?

Do you have any links images of various multiplex boards that are relevant. I've googled but unsure which is which..

Thanks once again

Russ

Ru55 said:
James said:
Hi Russ

Thanks for taking the time to reply James.

I'm being a bit slow here, sorry.

Is it possible - from factor spec - to just have the 3 seater bench on rails and no other seating in the back?

Do you have any links images of various multiplex boards that are relevant. I've googled but unsure which is which..

Thanks once again

Russ

Yes, you pay for additional seats.

I've only got pictures of mine but loosely put, the board in the back of the two seater Beach doesn't adjust and is course lower, in the three seater Beach, a quarter of it will drop down, allowing you to push the seat further back (I think that's right).

Click

https://www.google.de/imghp

And type in VW California Beach

James

We've recently sold our Caravelle and now wonder how we ever managed without our lovely beach!

I actually prefer not having twin sliding doors now as you have a wall behind the passengers seat to put things like a fridge against without worrying about keeping the floor space clear on both sides for access. Having the door on the wrong side works better for me when parking in tight spaces as I leave little room on the passenger side & know the kids & I can all pile out on the same side where I've left more space.

The pop top roof makes camping/picnicking in the beach so much easier as it's lovely to stand up straight to prepare food, move around or get dressed in the van.

You'd definitely want some sound proofing in a kombi. We had a t4 window van before the Caravelle and the noise level when driving was, looking back, ridiculous. No wonder we thought our children travelled well, we probably couldn't hear their screams over the road noise!

There's no comparison in my mind, I can't think of anything negative about our beach.

Thanks for all the replies, all very helpful.

In short once I've excepted there is no real need for a twin slider spec the Beach seems to tick all the boxes.

Is SMB a main dealer? as a quick google didn't show them...

If you're considering a kombi you are right to consider noise.

The Beach (and I assume velle but I haven't used one) are much more refined than a kombi van.

I've had courtesy vans and they're great but much more noisy. I quite like the idea of a van for the ease of throwing stuff in without worrying about the upholstery and trim but a long journey wouldn't be so pleasant.

We plumped for the Beach as a great all-rounder and haven't been disappointed at all.

Ru55 said:
Thanks for all the replies, all very helpful.

In short once I've excepted there is no real need for a twin slider spec the Beach seems to tick all the boxes.

Is SMB a main dealer? as a quick google didn't show them...

i would speak to SMG Cowfold :)

This is quite a good video to show some of the useful little extras..... If you speak French it is even better!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=n_HWV1qzv0s

If you Google "multiFlex board" you should see what you need. On the 3 seater it can be easily removed, the rear section drops down to increase living area and you can lift the board up to access the storage under the multiflex. This is useful if you've got bikes on the tailgate or don't want to go outside in the rain in your pj's to get your clothes out!

SMG were really helpful when I enquired but I didn't want to wait for their ex demo to become available so went elsewhere. From my research & shopping around if you're interested in ex demo, they seemed to offer the highest spec (usually with parking heater which is recommend) for the best price.

Thank you for al the replies people.

The Beach is a very interesting option, probably the one to go for actually.

I like to look at these things in the flesh and I popped into my local dealer today. No luck. It seems they aren't ordered very often and then they go straight out to the ' lucky ' new owners.

Hmmmm

Ru55 said:
Thank you for al the replies people.

The Beach is a very interesting option, probably the one to go for actually.

I like to look at these things in the flesh and I popped into my local dealer today. No luck. It seems they aren't ordered very often and then they go straight out to the ' lucky ' new owners.

Hmmmm

Put basically...

You need to own a Beach - it's cool - practical - it can be modified in any number of ways. It's all the vehicles you ever need :)

Yellow ones are nice the non metallic colours are very cool, red or white work really well with the right wheels

James

Hi again all,

Thanks for your input last time round, a great help and you'll be ' pleased ' ( I think ) to know we will be getting a Beach in the new year.

I didn't want to start a new thread, but wanted an informed answer to something that has been bothering me. Google is swamped with accessory options rather than offering a concise answer...

We have someone in the village who has a 13 plate Cali and the front end looks longer where the bonnet meets the windscreen than the transporter Kombi's I have looked at and seen around. Reminiscent of the difference between a long nose and short nose T4 is the best way I can think of putting it.

Is this a visual quirk due to the lights or does the Cali model - including the beach? - have a different front end to the transporter models?

Many thanks once again,

Russ

Hi, another newbie question - I can't see it in the answers above but maybe I missed it ;)

If you had a 4-seater Beach and you added an extra single seat between the front and rear seats (I've seen a picture of this configuration somewhere, I'm sure :D ), how would that work with the downstairs bed? Would there still be room for the full-sized downstairs bed without removing the single seat?

Thanks,
Richard

PS Hoping to buy a Beach in the next week or two!

yes, you can still put down the bed and you basically get what is called a 'long bed' in the brochure...i have tried to put it down like this and it's pretty tight, but certainly do-able - just doesn't give you much manouvering room. We usually take out our middle row if we're going away for a weekend...

rfhan said:
Hi, another newbie question - I can't see it in the answers above but maybe I missed it ;)

If you had a 4-seater Beach and you added an extra single seat between the front and rear seats (I've seen a picture of this configuration somewhere, I'm sure :D ), how would that work with the downstairs bed? Would there still be room for the full-sized downstairs bed without removing the single seat?

Thanks,
Richard

PS Hoping to buy a Beach in the next week or two!

I had an extra seat with my two-seater bench Beach and sold it as it spent all its time in the garage. The original Beach flexi-board is longer that the 3 seater bench version and I don't think the bed will go down fully with it in place, certainly you wouldn't be able open the seat drawer - maybe someone can confirm this. I'm sure that many with the SE Cali take the seat out and put it in the awning if they go camping with five.

If you have three children go for the five seater, if you are just a couple the four seater is a better bet with a bigger more comfortable bed. If had to regularly use my Beach with an extra seat I would consider taking the flexi-board out and moving the bench further back.

Andy

maui2512 said:
yes, you can still put down the bed and you basically get what is called a 'long bed' in the brochure...i have tried to put it down like this and it's pretty tight, but certainly do-able - just doesn't give you much manouvering room. We usually take out our middle row if we're going away for a weekend...

That's on the 3 seater bench variant isnt it? I dont think it can be done with the 2 seater bench version that rfhan was asking about.

edit just beaten to it by Goldie!

owen_h said:
maui2512 said:

That's on the 3 seater bench variant isnt it? I dont think it can be done with the 2 seater bench version that rfhan was asking about.

You have to be up early to beat me - its 7:30 in the evening here :lol:

Andy

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It sounds as though we're best not bringing the mother-in-law along then ;)

Seriously, we're a family of four, it would be nice to have the extra seat occasionally but it sounds as though it's not worth it just for the odd occasion when we do.

Thanks again, Richard

owen_h said:
Goldie said:

Andy

You enjoying NZ wit the Cali? Made a start on the pod yet?

Just me on my own at the moment in a small flat so don't have the space or tools. Back to UK for Aug, then we'll all be out here in Sept. I'll start then.

Had a rethink on the pod design and may go for one that sits on the let hand side and replaces the locker due to the size of bed and limited space when down. I need the sink to qualify for self-containment (wild camping) and joining the NZ Motor Caravan Association which saved me NZ$200 on insurance.

May have ask you for a couple of tips on the pod. Enjoy the summer.

Andy

owen_h said:
maui2512 said:

ah, you're right - sorry, forgot that it was the 2 seater...

Goldie said:
owen_h said:
Goldie said:

Andy

You enjoying NZ wit the Cali? Made a start on the pod yet?

Just me on my own at the moment in a small flat so don't have the space or tools. Back to UK for Aug, then we'll all be out here in Sept. I'll start then.

Had a rethink on the pod design and may go for one that sits on the let hand side and replaces the locker due to the size of bed and limited space when down. I need the sink to qualify for self-containment (wild camping) and joining the NZ Motor Caravan Association which saved me NZ$200 on insurance.

May have ask you for a couple of tips on the pod. Enjoy the summer.

Andy

Sounds like the pod will be similar to mine in the end. Happy to share tips & ideas. Sink itself wont be to much of an issue, its where to locate fresh & grey water tanks that is the issue. If you want to have a look at mine in Aug send a PM.
We do actually appear to be having a summer this year :cool: