Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

94 T4 leisure battery compartment.

C

cskins

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Hello all,
I have recently purchased a 94 T4 hightop and have not even seen it yet as we are in Colorado and the van is in Amsterdam. I would like to bring over a solar panel with me and am wondering if someone could post a picture of the leisure battery compartment to assist in figuring parts needed to fit it out. I understand it is quite tight so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

These are pics of mine i have, though these are from a 2000MY - not sure if they're the same.
There's not much space around the battery - maybe a little behind, but next to the split charger unit (under the fridge) you might have some space for what you want to do...
Anyway, hope these help ;)

20160529_172858.jpg

20160529_173828.jpg

ps. Ignore the terminal block beside the charger unit in the second pic - this was not original (was something someone added for an amp and I've since removed it...)
...and upon re-reading your original post, should point out mine is a pop-top...!

This is the battery compartment on a high-top, Club model, I don't know what van you've got?

DSCN2533_zps5aijn1cd.jpg

Don't have a photo, but if it's a SWB 94 then it will probably have 2 batteries mounted lengthways in a cupboard on the rear left.

It's tight in there and not a lot of room in there for much else. I think you'll be looking at putting a solar controller in either the wardrobe (above the batteries) or in the gap under the fridge (in front of the batteries).

It's possible that you only have one battery in that box, depends on whether the van has a parking heater (eberspacher), which came with a second battery, or if the original owner didn't spec a heater or a second battery. In which case, there is lots of room under there!

Hey, you got two batteries! No fair! :D

Early vans got two batteries at about 80ah each. Later vans got one battery, but higher capacity (135ah?).

So although early vans are much more awesome, our batteries are only slightly more awesome but the additional weight does help stop us from being blown away in moderate to strong winds. :D

Last edited:
Don't have a photo, but if it's a SWB 94 then it will probably have 2 batteries mounted lengthways in a cupboard on the rear left.

It's tight in there and not a lot of room in there for much else. I think you'll be looking at putting a solar controller in either the wardrobe (above the batteries) or in the gap under the fridge (in front of the batteries).

It's possible that you only have one battery in that box, depends on whether the van has a parking heater (eberspacher), which came with a second battery, or if the original owner didn't spec a heater or a second battery. In which case, there is lots of room under there!
Thanks for all the replies. The van is actually a California coach so I think it only has 1 battery. No heater.

Back