Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A bientôt EU

This blog is continuing at www.au-revoir.eu

As much is of interest to relatives and friends, and its primary purpose is to be a diary for our boys to enjoy as they grow, it seems less important to continue to cut and paste it here.

A summary of our trip so far is: UK - France - Belgium - Netherlands - Germany (Lubeck) - Denmark - Sweden - Norway (Flam, Lofoten, Nordkapp), Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland.

Follow my blog at www.au-revoir.eu

This blog is continuing at www.au-revoir.eu

As much is of interest to relatives and friends, and its primary purpose is to be a diary for our boys to enjoy as they grow, it seems less important to continue to cut and paste it here.

A summary of our trip so far is: UK - France - Belgium - Netherlands - Germany (Lubeck) - Denmark - Sweden - Norway (Flam, Lofoten, Nordkapp), Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland.

Will continue to follow your blog @Amarillo - enjoy reading of your exploits and love the humour.

We've been in Warsaw too for a couple of nights at campsite Wok. Immaculate hotel standard facilities and lovely shaded pitches. Easy bus ride to the centre, which we did with the dogs yesterday. Last night two of us cycled back up the cycle path to the National Stadium and ran the marked 1K track on the upper outside concours, for a bit of reflected sporting glory.

Campsite and public transport here really great value. Warsaw seems a very pleasant and well-kept city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've been in Warsaw too for a couple of nights at campsite Wok. Immaculate hotel standard facilities and lovely shaded pitches. Easy bus ride to the centre, which we did with the dogs yesterday. Last night two of us cycled back up the cycle path to the National Stadium and ran the marked 1K track on the upper outside concours, for a bit of reflected sporting glory.

Campsite and public transport here really great value. Warsaw seems a very pleasant and well-kept city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes - we are very impressed with Warsaw. It has the feel of a booming city, clean, tidy and well ordered with plenty of construction and redevelopment.

There is a huge commemoration today, remembering the Warsaw uprising which left 85% of the city's buildings in ruins and some 150,000 to 200,000 civilians dead, including the mass extermination of Jews given refuge in 'safe houses' for most of the Nazi occupation.

Day 59 - Warsaw to Krakow

Our factory fitted upgraded SatNav is eitirely new to us, having previously used paper maps. It has proved to be excellent value on this trip, given good estimates of trip length, and delivered us safely to all destinations (though once it tried to send us along a parallel dirt track between Alta and Nordkapp as a shorter alternative).

it always offers three route choices: most economical, fastest, and shortest. Usually the three routes are very similar, if not, identical. Not on this occasion - the choices were very different. The shortest took longest, about 2 hours longer than the quickest; the fastest was much longer than the most economical, using 140kph motorway, but this was the route we chose. A big mistake. Polish motorways are horrid to drive on. 140 kph is far too fast to be a comfortable speed for our van - 120 is plenty fast enough, but many drivers on Polish motorways see 140 as an entitlement, and tailgate until you move over. Using the inside lane for prolonged periods is not much of an option as it is filled with lorries stuck at 90 Kph. So driving on the motorway in Poland involves much lane changing, and accelerating rapidly from 90 to 140 KPH to fit into a gap between faster moving vehicles. This is not a style of driving I like. We would have been better off using the most economical route on 100 KPH single carriageway roads, acoording to the SatNav, 1 minute slower.

Before leaving Warsaw we needed to visit a VW service centre. Somehow the middle rear seat belt clip has become trapped in the folding bench mechanism and has been destroyed into a mess of black and red twisted plastic. A dog usually uses this seat, but if both boys are crying as sometimes happens towards the end of the day, and biscuits won't resolve the issue, Clare moves the dog off its towel and slips into that seat to comfort the boys.

A replacement clip would be about 100 Zloty, and could be ordered to arrive the next day. As we were off to Krakow, that didn't help, but undeterred by his inability to give us what we required, this super assistant phoned ahead to a dealer in Krakow to order the part for us. Unfortunately, he was defeated by the dealer putting him on hold three times, then cutting him off each time during Stevie Wonder's "I just called".

On arrival in Krakow we went straight to the VW dealer - they fell over themselves to help, have ordered the part and will fit it on Saturday. About 100 Zloty for the part and about 50 Zloty for fitting. I can make a warranty claim on our return to the UK - the clip should not have got caught in the seat mechanism.

Day 50 - Tallinn

Another sunny day in Estonia, just perfect for a day on the beach. The beach was a 30 minute drive, and on the way we encountered roadworks, we drove slowly through, then heard a horrendous noise from the van, like something dragging underneath, we checked: nothing, and drove on, the noise gone. Driving down an unpaved road the noise restarted, another look: nothing. We paid 4.80 Euros for two hours in the beach car park (and there were we thinking that Estonia was cheap). Then we discovered that for 20 cents more we could park for the whole day.

It was a perfect beach for us, soft golden sand gently sloping out to sea. Unfortunately dogs are banned, so Meg and Jess remained in the van with the window vents installed. We stayed three hours

On our return to the campsite I checked the car again, there was a patch of sticky tar on the front offside wheel. I can only assume that something had stuck to the tar on the wheel and was scraping as the wheel turned.

Later I took the boys and dogs around the campsite's "hiking trail" which took far longer than expected, and was in trouble with Clare for being late back for dinner. After a shower we all went to bed exhausted.

Day 51 - Tallinn

We spent an easy day on the campsite today. In the evening, while the boys sat in the van watching a DVD, we packed the van ready for the drive to Latvia tomorrow. That means that tonight we are sleeping in the.van in travel mode: three in the roof and one crossways on the bench seat.

Day 52 - Tallinn to Iecava

We packed the night before, and slept in the van in travel mode (3 up + 1 on the bench of the 3 person seat) so after the roof was lowered we were ready to go.

The AdBlue warning had been bleeping since before Helsinki, and we'd had several aborted attempts to refill. Warnings start with about 2500Km of AdBlue remaining, so it isn't a problem for some time, but it is very important not to allow the AdBlue tank to run dry, as if you do once the ignition is off the van cannot be restarted without a Mechanic reset. We eventually found an AdBlue pump with 1600Km remaining for 55 cents per litre, and squeezed 11.9 litres into the 13 litre tank. The display now shows 9500Km which is probably the maximum the display will show.

We arrived at our chosen campsite just after 3pm and had a relaxed time setting up. Pizza for dinner, baked on the Cadac BBQ. Nice crispy base and deliciously melted cheese. What a contrast from our first attempts of BBQing pizzas.

We don't feel the warmth in Latvia that we did in Estonia, and were somewhat shocked to learn that some 14% of Latvians are ethnic Russians who haven't been given Latvian (or EU) citizenship, and are stateless. It seems to be a serious failing of the EU to allow this to continue

Day 53 - Iecava

This campsite really does have a plethora of activities for children and adults - and we invented a new sport of our own: dog powered go-kart racing:
5590107ab759309a58b3099c33dc2633.jpg

Fun on the zip wire:
3c0df9f5be262842a20344802aec35df.jpg

We really had no need to leave the campsite, but were intrigued by a place called "rabbit town" just down the road. Europe's largest collection of rabbits housed in hutches that look like houses and other buildings.
bc252f42953724176ca07f802d089ca3.jpg

Day 54 - Iecava to Druskininkai

A five hour drive south across part of Latvia and through the middle of Lithuania, right up to the EU's border with Belarus.

We stopped at a roadside cafe for lunch just outside Vilnius, which turned out to beArmenian, serving rather good kebabs, cooked on a wood BBQ. We stopped again at a town not far from our destination to go to the supermarket.

The roads got noticeably better as we neared our destination, and it turned out that our chosen campsite is in a spar town, flush with EU development funds. Money has clearly been well spent as the town is booming, full of tourists from Russia and Belarus enjoying whatever the town has to offer.

On our campsite there was also a group of 24 Lithuanian and Italian students on a cultural exchange trip. They seemed to adore Meg and Jess, and Ben and Jack, offering to make the latter Nutella on toast - apparently a classic Italian dish being shared with the Lithuanians.

Day 55 - Druskininkai

After walking the dogs, we cycled into town: Jack being towed in the Burley trailer and Ben on his own bike. We locked the bikes, and went to the water park, an amazing pool with something for everyone. After our swim I took the boys for a pizza and Clare had a massage.

For dinner we went to the campsite cafe, another Armenian restaurant, where the chicken kebabs were poor, served with crinkle cut chips.

Day 56 - Druskininkai

The last day of our eighth week away was spent on and around the campsite. In many ways this is the worst campsite we have stayed on: the showers have very low water pressure, the "baby room" is locked, and used as a cleaners' store cupboard with the changing table a tea and coffee station, there is no child's playground. But all around is pure loveliness: opposite the campsite is a superb public park with a first rate children's playground and the largest climbing frame I have ever seen, the town is clean and pedestrianised with rivers and lakes and rainbow endowed fountains, and the people are friendly and welcoming. We love Lithuania.

The big adventure of the day was when Ben and I cycled together to the supermarket to buy milk. Ben's cycling is so strong that he's perfectly capable of cycling a couple of miles independently. The previous day Clare bought two litres of milk, but it turned out to be yoghurt (the second time we've made the same mistake). Imagine the affect on my mildly dyslexic brain on buying a carton labelled "piens", and what might come out of the spout when globular yoghurt appeared last time!
7755a4bcbf05600430d52f41092f9e04.png

Day 57 - Druskininkai to Warsaw

We had to make a big diversion west to avoid going through Belarus, a country we'd love to visit, but is off limits to us because of the bureaucracy leaving and re-entering the EU with dogs. Today was hot, with temperatures up to 35 degrees, and we were all thankful for the upgraded air conditioning we ordered for the van, keeping the temperature at a steady 19.5 degrees. We also had dramatic thunderstorms, washing the lifeless collection of bugs from our windscreen.

Tonight, and for the first time since we have been away, we are staying in a hotel, a four* hotel in the centre of Warsaw, costing £88 per night for the six of us, including breakfast for four. Compare this to £60 per night we paid for a mosquito infested cabin with four bunks in Finland with no toilet and no water, and £40 per night, also in Finland, for a camping pitch.

We went out for posh burgers, which included chips that the chef couldn't be bothered to peel so called them "gourmet". To complete the rustic feel, Ben was given a red onion with a stick with our order number. Jack thought this was a lollipop and screamed until the cashier gave home one too. Content, he proceeded to eat the red onion.

c3255633290b0f5ed82e6eaf6ce90f76.jpg

Day 58 - Warsaw

17:00 hours on 1 August is the anniversary of the 1944 Warsaw uprising, when the advancing Soviet army persuaded the people of Warsaw to rise up against their Nazi occupiers, then Stalin ordered his army to stop the advance and watched while the Nazis annihilated the resistance, exterminated Jews in Warsaw "safe houses", summarily executed 150,000 to 200,000 Polish civilians and destroyed some 85% of Warsaw's buildings. Once the Nazis eventually left Warsaw there was no one left to resist Soviet occupation, which lasted for the next 40 years.

The beginning of these horrors is remembered each year from the roundabout just outside our hotel window. We had a bird's eye view as the commemoration kicked off. (Jack's head can be seen reflected in the window).

aae02733fb95aee63f174bf4a26cbc49.jpg

da2aee1dfcc69f506d58e7a93117c221.jpg

32c1ed1a7cc5bba78556007dd8cecdf7.jpg

Earlier in the day we had visited some of Warsaw's parks with the boys and dogs, and met an American family of seven (children 9,6,6,4,2) who are emigrating from Florida to Warsaw, having made their fortune in online auto parts.

Thanks for keep posting here .
We all love to read your adventures and it keeps the forum alive!

Keep it coming. 2 kids, 2 dogs and 2 months in. Well impressed.

Mike

Day 60 - Krakow

Lazy day today. Walked the dogs with Ben cycling alongside in the local park - for 3 1/2 he really is a very strong cyclist. Clare and Jack went to the supermarket. We had lunch, then went to the municipal outdoor swimming pool next to our campsite.

As is often the case with town campsites, this site is packed, and we feel like sardines, but fellow campers are nice. There was a lovely Estonian family who left this morning, replaced by German grandparents taking their grandson caravanning with them. Leon helped walk the dogs with us this evening, and played with the boys in the playground. It's his twelfth birthday tomorrow, so we will try to get our fellow campers singing "happy birthday" over their croissants and coffee in the morning.

On the way to the park, Jack decided to wear Ben's Spider-Man swimming ring in the Burley buggy.
b4e67da8c114a310af863c432bed30ea.jpg

Are you planning to see the Auswitch / Birkenau concentration camps ? We been there last april .

Day 61 - Krakow

After the miserable weather of Norway, and the insect infestations of Finland, we now have the blazing temperatures of Poland to complain about. But, at least, here in Krakow we have the means to mitigate our latest grumble and grouse. A municipal lido next to our campsite and a constant 16 degrees down the local salt mines.

It was to the mines we headed to escape the 35 degree temperatures. We left it until mid afternoon to go when there was cloud cover at least - so no direct sunlight on the car, put in the window vents, and started the tour.

As promised, it was cool in the mines, but as buggies are not advised, Jack had to be carried down the 400 or so steps into the mine, so that made us hot and bothered instead. Ben then started complaining about being hungry, so I asked if he wanted some salt. When he replied "yes" I told him he could have a quick lick of the wall if no one was looking. It provided some mirth to the English speaking tour group, but none to Ben's temperament.

The tour continued, visiting cavern after cavern, for two hours, up to 135 metres underground (the mine goes far far deeper than that) and we ended up with a sound understanding of salt as a commodity throughout history, and the dangers faced by miners over the centuries, especially before electric lighting. But it was probably at least a year too early for Ben and Jack to appreciate much.

We returned to our campsite and met our new Swiss neighbours in their campervan:

ee7eed0e6ce84ac2a5efd67674c18dbe.jpg

We are particularly envious of their flat-pack rooftop terrace.

Day 62 - Krakow

On a tour like this, there are, inevitably, events that happen that require attention, away from the normal expected routines. The destruction, somewhere between Latvia and Poland, of the middle rear seat belt clip was one such event. One rear seat belt is never used - Jack's seat, on the right, is fixed to isofix points and has its own harness. Ben' seat, on the left, is also fixed to isofix points, but Ben is secured with the vehicle's seat belt. The middle seat is usually occupied by canine rather than human, so the belt is not used, but occasionally a dog is usurped from its prime location by Clare, or rarely, Tom, usually towards the end of a long drive, when both boys are tired. On the last occasion when this happened, the middle seat seat belt had to be plugged into the clip on the extreme right, the belt going around Clare then behind Jack's child seat. The clip needed replacing.

On arrival in Krakow we went direct to the service centre, ordered the part, and booked the van in for 1pm on Saturday. We hadn't really considered the logistics of it all: two adults, two boys, two dogs, and a van being used as a home required substantially empty at a service centre. The solution worked perfectly for all.

Clare remained at the campsite with the dogs, driveaway awning containing our possessions and a book.

I went with the boys, substantially empty van, two child seats and the double buggy/bicycle trailer to the service centre.

Back at base, Clare went to the park with the dogs and her book, found a restaurant in the park, and spent the afternoon quaffing wine and reading Jack Reacher's latest antics.

Meanwhile, I was greeted at the service centre parking by Magdaline, who speaks perfect English, while trying to assemble the double buggy/bicycle trailer so I could decant the moaning and groaning boys from their seats, before removing their seats and stowing out of the way in the front passenger footwell and on the front passenger seat so the rear bench would be clear. Magdaline had some important information for me, but it would have to wait.

Once the boys were safely decanted into the double buggy/bicycle trailer I wheeled them into the service centre, and like two coiled springs, the two boys leapt out and charged for the bowl of sweets alongside glossy car brochures on the waiting area's coffee table.

Knowing that the well-stocked bowl would keep the boys occupied for at least five minutes I was able to speak to Magdaline. On entering our vehicle identification number into their database, a safety recall had come up, and they would need to retain our van until the issue was resolved. They needed to replace the gearbox cover. They had ordered the parts for us and had two mechanics standing by, and the entire process would take at least an hour and I wouldn't be charged. Thinking quickly, I asked if they could wash my car to make up for the inconvenience, certainly - we will do all we can. The van was covered in 63 days of grime, including half a tonne of dirt from Norway's roads and a substantial proportion of Finland's bugs.

What was I to do with two little boys for an hour and a half at VW Krakow? My stomach, which always rules my brain, had a cunning plan. When I revealed this plan to Magdaline, and after I managed to resolve a dispute with the boys over who would eat the final remaining sweet by eating it myself, and after firmly strapping the boys into the double buggy/bicycle trailer, she led us to a secret gate which led directly from VW's service centre into the KFC next door.

90 minutes later we returned to a gleaming Amarillo, and a bill for 185.10 Zloty (95.10 Zloty parts and 90 Zloty for 30 minutes labour), something under £40, and a recommendation that we make a warranty claim for this when we return to the UK.

We all went for a swim at the crowded lido on our return, and as we have run out of gas, and cannot find Campingaz refill exchange in Poland, went with the dogs to the restaurant in the park for dinner.

Last edited: