Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A bientôt EU

This year, I have been bitten twice by 'well behaved dogs'. Both times I was out in the countryside well away from playgrounds and parks. As an ex-dog owner, I remain very much in the keep dogs on a lead camp.

I was on my bike, but I slowed down to walking pace and ensured I didn't surprise either owner or dog by shouting a polite 'good morning sir' as I approached. The path I was on is a local 13 mile countryside loop in Hertfordshire that is maintained / promoted by the council as being open to all, including walkers, runners and indeed cyclists. The leaflet promoting the route even has a cyclist on it.

Both time the owner could not control their dog, and both it was apparently my fault for daring to carry out my legitimate right whilst they wanted pooch to be off the lead.

OT mode on: As a bike rider the worst dog owner is the one with so called flexi lead, ie it's 5 meters long and the dog has no idea it is in lead at all. The best dog/owner is where the dog walks without lead 5cm from the owner.

This year, I have been bitten twice by 'well behaved dogs'.
Don't get me started..... Dog jumps up and I have muddy trousers. 'He's just being friendly.'. NO! The dog is not under control.....

Mind, as a cyclist using bridlepaths the worst are the horse riders. Recently coming down a steep track towards a 'frisky' horse with my squeaky brakes I was told to get off and walk! And why do horse riders have to take their horses on the only flat bit of track! Can't they leave any flat sections for walkers and cyclists.

Sorry rant over.... Apologies Tom & family.

Really enjoying your blog. Keep it up!

PS perhaps we need a couple of posts on dog and horse behaviour in the countryside so everyone can get worked up a bit and release this great thread from any further RANTS!!! :)

YES, especially around playgrounds and parks where children play
The reason my dogs were off the lead in the first place was that a couple of Norwegian children were interested in them and recognised them as sheep dogs. I was showing the children how skilled the dogs are at frisbee. The children and dogs were playing together. It is the kind of activity that makes camping so valuable for families.

I do try hard to comply with the law - if ever I break the speed limit it is nearly always accidental not wilful, but these leash laws are draconian and widely ignored by Norwegian dog owners. In that respect WG's "when in Rome" advice was followed by me, though perhaps not at WG intended.

Follow my blog at www.au-revoir.eu

OT mode on: As a bike rider the worst dog owner is the one with so called flexi lead, ie it's 5 meters long and the dog has no idea it is in lead at all. The best dog/owner is where the dog walks without lead 5cm from the owner.
Meg will do that, Jess won't, but she's improving.

13530f820545b884c54d9902fd21b131.jpg

Day 29 - Trondheim

Up at 7 - dressed, teeth cleaned, dogs walked and boys dressed by 8. And all (except dogs) on the bus to Trondheim by 8.15 for our first proper meal out as a family.

Scandic Nivelven has reputedly the best breakfast in Norway for 285 NOK, children eat free. We made sure that we got our money's worth - plate after plate of hams, cheeses, pancakes, sausages, meatballs, juices, cereals, breads, eggs... it was a good hearty breakfast, but I still reckon our local greasy spoon in Grove Park does a better breakfast for a quarter of the price: double eggs, bacon, sausage, black pudding, tomatoes (tinned) and fried bread for £6.30.

We failed to explore Trondheim, anxious not to leave the dogs alone for too long, and returned to the campsite soon after 12. We skipped lunch.

Late afternoon I took the boys off exploring outside the campsite and found a rather nice park. I found myself chatting to a man walking with his two boys in the park - he was our bus driver from the morning and recognised the boys and me.

He came from further north in Norway and was clearly very proud of his country. He was full of admiration for the trip we are doing and said the most beautiful part of Norway is to come. While the road E6 north is spectacular, our route north along the rv17 is super-spectacular.

Having spent an extra night in Trondheim, we are planning to take 7 days to see the super-spectacular road, with three days driving and two three night stopovers, crossing the Arctic Circle on the way.

Try exercising whippets on lead. Depends on the breed but dogs do need to be able to run to keep fit & mentally stimulated. Sadly, my short Welsh legs don't get up to 30mph...

This would particularly apply to Collies, as they are super intelligent. Tempted to say brighter than some people...

I can see why they have a rule, nesting birds & whatever, do I would observe it there.

However, very sad to see so many comments condemning proper care of dogs, to the people that own them it is very important that they have a good life. I put my dogs on a lead near people, especially kids but it's so much better when people are understanding.

Very much enjoying the blog tho. Keep going!

However, very sad to see so many comments condemning proper care of dogs, to the people that own them it is very important that they have a good life. I put my dogs on a lead near people, especially kids but it's so much better when people are understanding.

I agree. My dog (working cocker spaniel) would go nuts if she wasn't given a serious off-lead blast every day. Fortunately we live in a suitable place for that - we wouldn't have that particular breed of dog if we didn't.

Of course I wish all dog owners would behave responsibly, and understand that everyone has a right in a public space not to be molested by someone's darling pooch.

But it would be nice also if non-dog owners would try to be a bit more tolerant; or at least, if you're going to pronounce "No dogs off leads, anywhere" it'd be nice to at least be offered a reasoned argument for that.

We all have to live together.

Caravans on the A303, anyone? :mute

PS perhaps we need a couple of posts on dog and horse behaviour in the countryside so everyone can get worked up a bit and release this great thread from any further RANTS!!! :)

Well I used to ride quite a lot and I agree some riders (tends to be the young women in my experience, there I've said it) can be astonishingly imperious.

Unfortunately though, a lot of non-horsey people don't (unsurprisingly) appreciate how even a well-schooled horse can be dangerously spooked by something like a squeaky bike brake. When you're up there on a big horse that starts bucking, it's a long way down, I can tell you from experience.

Culturally, in the UK it's considered quite proper of course for riders to use public roads. Manwhile in Germany (despite a great deal of 'horsiculture') it's streng verboten.

Maybe if everyone just tried treating everyone else the way they want to be treated then there wouldn't be stupid comments disputes.
I have a dog and he goes on the lead when he needs to and let off at the right times, he even gets attached to my bike. Unfornately there's loony cyclists, dog owners, horse owners etc but you certainly cant put everyone in the same basket! There's also a lot of good ones out there too.

Loving your trip Tom, keep up the good work

Last edited:
Day 30 - Trondheim to Namsos

We were late getting up, and subsequently late packing, once again in the rain. It was 12.30 when we finally left but still needed a supermarket, so it was 1.30 when we really got going.

We abandoned the E6, Norway's main north-south road, soon after Steinkjer, and joined the much slower rv17 to take us through the Arctic Circle.

We haven't had a proper nighttime since leaving Denmark, here sunset is at 23:45 and sunrise at 02:55, but it's light throughout the 'night'. Fortunately the blinds and curtains in the van are pretty good, and with the topper on the roof, little light comes through the canvas. Tonight we are staying in a cabin so we can get an early start tomorrow.

This is a good cabin, living room and bedroom with four bunks. We use the campsite washrooms. There is an airport behind the campsite with small planes and helicopters. I'm guessing it's used to ferry workers out to the North Sea oil rigs.

On a walk with the dogs we discovered these tricycles that run on a disused railway line.

8d6f918f3e158822f48c87b4fad4a70c.jpg

Day 31 - Namsos to Sandnessjøen

After a full month on the road it's time to introduce a new blog feature: sunset and sunrise times of each new camp.

Today's sunrise 02:05, sunset 00:19 (that's tomorrow's, today's was 0023)

In today's blog we have glorious discrimination and Norway's ferries behaving like London's buses.

Even with the best will in the world, it seems to take forever to get going in the morning, after hoping for a 9am departure, we eventually were on our way at 10.30. We decided to take the slower and more westerly rv769 instead of the rv17, and what a good choice it was. Stunning coastal scenery and ferry crews which loaded white motor homes into one lane on the ferry and all other vehicles, including Amarillo, into all other lanes. On arrival at port, all other vehicles were let off first, and white motor homes last. On one ferry we were second last to be loaded - squished between a Tine milk tanker and fuel tanker - and were second off after the milk tanker, who then obligingly pulled over and let us onto the empty road first. 'Glorious discrimination', a new oxymoron to dwell upon.

We nearly had our comeuppance on our last ferry of the day. This was a 45 minute passage: Vega to Tjotta. We arrived at the Dock at about 6pm, following the car in front of us into Lane 2 with about 10 cars already in lane 2. Lanes 1 and 3 were empty. Once Lane 2 was full, Lane 3 filled, and then Lane 1. The next ferry was due at 19:10, so we were to have a substantial wait.

Eventually the ferry turned up and they loaded about 6 vehicles from our lane, presumably ones that had missed the previous ferry 90 minutes earlier, then inexplicably started loading Lane 1, the last to arrive. I was unconcerned as I could see two further ferries hove-to just off shore; in the manner of London buses, we'd waited over an hour then three had turned up at once. Ferry 1 was loaded and ferry 2 docked, and stated loading from Lane 1 again, people who had arrived just seconds before. Then for some reason Lane 3 started to be loaded. Even the reserved Norwegians started to get irate at this point. Ferry 2 was loaded and steamed off and Ferry 3 docked. Lane 2 at last started to be loaded, and while the driver of the car in front dozed, a driver of a white California Ocean darted from Lane 3 to Lane 2 ahead of us. As a near riot ensued at the dockside, Lane 2 was halted, and Lane 3 loaded. The driver of the white California barged back into Lane 3 and, unfortunately loaded. At last sense prevailed and Lane 3 was halted and Lane 2, including us, were loaded.

We arrived very late at the campsite. By the time we had set up camp and eaten dinner, we were All in bed after sunset - the early hours of the morning! We won't be driving anywhere tomorrow.

Don't get me started..... Dog jumps up and I have muddy trousers. 'He's just being friendly.'. NO! The dog is not under control.....

On the flip side I hate it when people approach my dog (on lead), without asking and make a fuss over him. I then have an over excited corgi that thinks it should receive attention like that from everyone.

Worse still, parents allow kids to jump straight in a stroke him. Thankfully he's very friendly. But still a dog with his own mind.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Day 30 - Trondheim to Namsos

We were late getting up, and subsequently late packing, once again in the rain. It was 12.30 when we finally left but still needed a supermarket, so it was 1.30 when we really got going.

We abandoned the E6, Norway's main north-south road, soon after Steinkjer, and joined the much slower rv17 to take us through the Arctic Circle.

We haven't had a proper nighttime since leaving Denmark, here sunset is at 23:45 and sunrise at 02:55, but it's light throughout the 'night'. Fortunately the blinds and curtains in the van are pretty good, and with the topper on the roof, little light comes through the canvas. Tonight we are staying in a cabin so we can get an early start tomorrow.

This is a good cabin, living room and bedroom with four bunks. We use the campsite washrooms. There is an airport behind the campsite with small planes and helicopters. I'm guessing it's used to ferry workers out to the North Sea oil rigs.

On a walk with the dogs we discovered these tricycles that run on a disused railway line.

8d6f918f3e158822f48c87b4fad4a70c.jpg

We went on one of these years ago in the Vendee. Great fun until you meet someone coming the other way who refuses to move theirs off the track. After doing it about half a dozen times we were completely knackered.

Day 32 - Sandnessjøen

940e3411ee36aa6445108f409ade48d3.jpg

The mountains here are called the Seven Sisters, all but one are Munro height, and there are many walkers on this campsite who aim to walk one or more of them in a single go. The ultimate challenge is to bag all 7 peaks within 24 hours (the record is four hours). I've brought my walking boots with me, but alas am unlikely to use them on this trip.

After a lie in this morning, we had a late breakfast, then cycled with the boys in the trailer to the local supermarket. I have a speedometer on my Brompton, transferred from another bike. Down the mountain in Flam it gave an implausible reading of 40mph for my maximum speed. Bromptons have much smaller wheels than most other bikes, so the speedometer is bound to overread. According to Google maps, the distance to the supermarket was exactly 10km, so I was able to calibrate the speedometer. Handily it gave a measurement of just over 10 miles, so all I need do is read km for miles on the computer.

My top speed down the mountain in Flam was a little under 25mph.

The dogs had two decent walks today, and we were able to let them run free in the woods when no one was looking. (They had a miserable day the day before).

Last edited:
Day 33 - Sandnessjøen to Furøy

Sunset- 00:40
Sunrise- 01:00

Another spectacular drive with three ferry passages of 45mins, 1hr15 and 20mins.

On the second crossing, Ben and Jack thought the ship's captain needed help so they commandeered the bridge and took the helm across the Arctic Circle.

9ead74cac3ff29f70982819eaa759435.jpg

The captain is a very nice chap whose home is on Lofoten. The main part of his career was spent on oil tankers around the world. Now he takes things easy by shuttling people about on the Jetvik ferry.

Absolutely superb campsite, with views over a fjord and a glacier.

Last edited:
Day 34 - Furøy

Sunset 0040
Sunrise 01:42

This really is the best campsite we have stayed in. It is well organised and has all the features we need. An excellent playground, a hill for walking the dogs, gravel tracks for the boys to play on their bikes, a good lavatory and shower block, a private beach on the fjord, views over the fjord to mountains and a glacier. It was recommended to us by a Norwegian couple we met at our previous campsite and is an ACSI inspected site.

We didn't drive at all today. We all walked on the hill behind the campsite where Meg and Jess were able to run free, and Ben didn't complain too much about not being carried. Even Jack walked much of the way.

028b6a52dd82a671189a6c97218fe55d.jpg

591e7a77ed5324f2e8ccafb5453c678b.jpg

After lunch we cycled to the supermarket with the boys in the trailer, about 10 mins each way. Jack fell asleep in the trailer so napped away the rest of the afternoon, while Ben and I admired the traffic on the Fjord.

1d44ea3ef3a1f2d8aaceb770026c91e6.jpg

Tomorrow we take a boat trip to "kiss a moose"
https://www.visitnorway.com/places-...listings-kystriksveien/kiss-a-moose-!/193808/

Day 36 - Furoy to Bodo

Sunset - none
Sunrise - none

After a fairly short drive, we finally made it to a place where no part of the sun set during a 24 hour period. Previously I hadn't fully understood the definition of the Arctic Circle, having previously believed it to be defined by the setting of the mid-point of the sun. On the Arctic Circle the sun just touches the horizon on 21 or 22 June, at least partially setting every other day (though I suppose there must be one point on the Arctic Circle where the sun just touches the horizon on both the 21 and 22 June). The true Arctic Circle cannot therefore be a real circle, and will vary slightly from year to year. It is also currently moving north at a rate of about 15 metres per year due to a 40,000 year wobble of the earth caused by the gravitational pull of the moon on the oceans.

We are still very impressed with the performance of our Beach. It has been totally reliable and almost completely trouble free. The factory option we use least is App Connect, and the enhancement I would like is automatic headlights, with all the tunnels we've been driving through, I frequently forget to switch them off when we come out of the tunnel.

Last edited:
The true Arctic Circle cannot therefore be a real circle, and will vary slightly from year to year

Well yes and no. It depends what we are considering to be the shape of the earth, and there are varying conventions and working models for that. If we model the earth as a perfect sphere (and hence ascribe its cartesian coordinates from that), the Arctic Circle when viewed in two dimensions from 'above' would still appear as a circle, regardless of the varying tilting of the axis with respect to the sun. However, if we take a 'reference ellipsoid' as our model (ie the earth as 'squashed' a bit through its rotational axis), it will distort the circle.

I think. :happy

If we model the earth as a perfect sphere (and hence ascribe its cartesian coordinates from that), the Arctic Circle when viewed in two dimensions from 'above' would still appear as a circle.

Disagree.

The true Arctic Circle is formed each year over the Summer Solstice 21/22 June.

From the autumn equinox the most southerly point where the horizon appears as a tangent to the sun has been spiralling southwards until at one moment in time during the summer solstice it reaches its most southerly point, and then spirals north.

The true Arctic Circle is made up of two parts of a spiral, formed each year.

You could redefine the Arctic Circle to be a Circle, centre North Pole, passing through the most southerly point where the Earth's horizon appears as a tangent to the sun, but that is not how it is defined.

Okay well yes it does then depend on your definition of a polar circle. I’m using the good old-fashioned steam-driven geographer's definition, which defines them ‘simply’ as the lines of latitude, north and south, given by the subtraction of the axial tilt angle (the Earth's axis of rotation relative to the ecliptic or the plane of the Earth's orbit around the sun, currently about 23.5 degrees) from 90 degrees.

I think we can agree that any latitudinal section of a perfect sphere is necessarily circular. (While setting aside that, as I said, the earth isn't actually perfectly spherical.)

As you said, the various 'wobbles' of the axial tilt do mean that the latitudinal position of the polar circles shifts up and down over time. However, being formed of lines of latitude, the circles just become larger or smaller as the latitude decreases or increases. But they remain circles.

However, as you are actually up there in the Arctic, whereas I have to my great misery never been there (Iceland has been my furthest north), I am happy to acknowledge your right to be right on this occasion. :Grin (E pur si muove) :D:D

Enjoy the midnight sun and continued happy travels to you all. :happy

I’m using the good old-fashioned steam-driven geographer's definition, which defines them ‘simply’ as the lines of latitude, north and south, given by the subtraction of the axial tilt angle (the Earth's axis of rotation relative to the ecliptic or the plane of the Earth's orbit around the sun, currently about 23.5 degrees) from 90 degrees.
An engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician were on a train heading north, and had just crossed the border into Scotland.

The engineer looked out of the window and said "Look! Scottish sheep are black!"
The physicist said, "No, no. Some Scottish sheep are black."
The mathematician looked irritated. "There is at least one field, containing at least one sheep, of which at least one side is black."

My background is in mathematics.

I actually prefer your definition - it's something I've been pondering from Bergen to Bodo, but had not checked. I was expecting the definition to be based on the centre of the sun, like the equator, poles and (probably) tropics. I was somewhat disturbed to discover that it didn't as I like these things to follow simple logic. I prefer your definition as it is dependent on the centre of the sun and is constant, not variable.

[caution - my definition is derived from Wikipedia's explanation which is not always reliable]

Last edited:
I'm having a side-bet on an imminent upcoming 'Home Alone' scenario as Tom drives off deep in imaginary dialogue with Brian Cox.