Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A feeling of disappointment

GrannyJen, do SMG not have a demo on the fleet that they could temporarily swap over the batteries into Albert? (All 3). I would imagine it's the least they could do given their efforts to-date.
If you get the same performance, at least you've eliminated another possible cause.

It would be nice if someone at VW actually offered something like that, but then again if they had a Demo then I think VWCC would want me in it and using it so they can get mine fixed...

At the end of the day I can use and enjoy the vehicle, so all is not lost.

Dear Granny Jen, I really feel for you with these difficulties. My first new Cali bought 2012 also had charging issues which I won't bore people with. The upshot was that it had been in the repair shop and with roof rot people for weeks at a time and not been on hookup whilst with dealership/repair shop over several visits and many weeks. Eventually after doing everything else they replaced both the leisure batteries...which had probably been wrecked by all the weeks off hookup... And I had no problems after that with the electrical system getting charged up and functioning-just the recurring roof rot.
As they knew your date for going on a trip again this month couldn't they as a gesture of goodwill give you new leisure batteries and a new engine compartment battery within a few hours-they have all tomorrow available to get you off for a decent bank holiday.

DSG 180 2012 traded in in 2014 for another new one

^^

That's why, out of courtesy given my charging problems, that I expected my batteries to have been changed.

I have no idea how you test a battery. I know how I test one. I swan off in my camper and if I can't live for a few nights with no excessive load without them going flat then I have a problem.

I personally would think that losing 20-40% of charge in less than 24 hours would be evidence enough.

however what I personally relate as actual, physical evidence from using the vehicle, my observations based on over 100 nights, many of them utterly dependent on the vehicle performing to expectation to protect me and my life, is of no account whatsoever. What is important is that the technical team knows best. A test of a couple of minutes suggest otherwise so give the vehicle back to the stupid moaning whingeing silly woman with the same two knackered batteries on board.

Of course. All we now expect from VW. After all, roof rot cannot possibly be our fault can it, must be the stupid owners.
Himself says "why wouldn't you change the battery first". We had a Subaru Impreza that had a battery changed under warranty. If they go flat the. They will fail sooner so that initself says change them under warranty. They can be easily tested.

GrannyJen, do SMG not have a demo on the fleet that they could temporarily swap over the batteries into Albert? (All 3). I would imagine it's the least they could do given their efforts to-date.
If you get the same performance, at least you've eliminated another possible cause.
I can't understand why they haven't replaced all 3 batteries for new ones anyway & then see the outcome ??

Personally,

Given the history that Izzy above quotes, Vehicle not charging / charging intermittently etc , all eventually resolved by simple change of batteries, given the highly educated and pertinent comments in this forum, it actually leaves me quite dumfounded why it was not the first port of call.

Now, after hundreds of warranty hours, replacing 3 CCU's, Earth Shunt, Charger(s), wiring harnesses.... only now is someone saying ...... "batteries?"

After a marathon 360 mile round trip on Tuesday that must have put some charge into the batteries, 48 hours later, from 100% charged, my Voltage is down to 11.9 ..... presumably that says something. As I have been advised not to take much notice of the % I will not mention 100% down to 60%, :shocked

To be fair to SMG / VW, I have said leave me alone this week. The reason for my marathon round trip on Tuesday was to attend the funeral of a dearly loved friend who, after a short battle with cancer, left us quite suddenly, and if to compound things Mum, who I was due to take home back to Manchester on Saturday, is instead in hospital having suffered a stroke that morning.

Plus side is Albert yet again proved, problems aside, what a brilliant all round vehicle the Cali is so faith is not lost, just despair that I have to listen to more common sense and more plausible technical explanations on here than I ever have relayed back to me from the whizz kids at VW Technical.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to your mum Jen.:(

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to your mum Jen.:(

Thank you xx

She is recovering, horrible slow business, but fortunately Bruv in Law has a helicopter business and as soon as she is well enough to be moved will be flying her back home.

Oh blimey. Thinking about you, what a rotten turn of events. Glad Albert was there to see you through it.

A solar panel, at

A semi flexible solar panel bonded onto the elevating roof, at least 100w and an MPPT charge controller, wired direct to leisure batteries, will bypass the problematic Can Bus digital control system, won't upset the suspect Can Bus controlled 240v hookup charger and vehicle generator, and keep pace in summer with normal usage fridge current drain. I use 2 x 100w solar panels, never use hook up, and this copes summer and into the winter months.

Rgrds,

Rob H.

Are you sure that the camper side of the Cali is controlled by th Canbus system? I was under the impression that it only controlled the actual vehicle side of things, like all other T5s.

Sorry to hear of your sad news, sort of puts things into perspective. I have only just read through this long post of your issues, but as previously mentioned it should have been the first thing the VW techies should have checked out, one of the quickest ways to ruin a leisure battery is by not regularly deep charging it for at least 24 hours every month via 240V.

Oh blimey. Thinking about you, what a rotten turn of events. Glad Albert was there to see you through it.

It sounds silly, I have a very deep affection for Albert. We have lived through some exciting adventures and camped through some desperate weather conditions and always I have a feeling of profound confidence in the vehicle, if nothing else confidence that it will put a smile on my face.

Being alone with my thoughts for 360 miles in that vehicle did actually help.

It sounds silly, I have a very deep affection for Albert. We have lived through some exciting adventures and camped through some desperate weather conditions and always I have a feeling of profound confidence in the vehicle, if nothing else confidence that it will put a smile on my face.

Being alone with my thoughts for 360 miles in that vehicle did actually help.
Not silly at all. The freedom of thought, peace and sanctuary provided by a camper van can not be underestimated. I had chronic fatigue syndrome and my camper van let me rest and recouperate when I really needed it. Nuff said :sorry

It might be worth you contacting Martin at upspex@+++++.com he is a member on the vwT4forum (upspex) & is always helping members out with their electrical issues, (not that you should have to do this with it being under warranty) but i reckon he would be able to sort your issues out.

Hi Jen, you have been having a hard time recently. My sympathies and I hope you Mum recovers well soon.

My three peneth is that your leisure batteries are not holding their charge and should be changed. marchugo is right, in that the display is only a guide and not a reliable one at that.

I suspect the engine battery is fine as you are not having any trouble starting Albert, so it is holding a charge well. The leisure batteries need to be changed, even if only to set your mind at rest and eliminate another possible suspect area.

Alan

my Voltage is down to 11.9
A lead acid battery that has been charged, but drops below about 12.0 volts without being used (and is off load) is knackered. :(

If it was your vehicle battery you wouldn't be able to start it.

A lead acid battery that has been charged, but drops below about 12.0 volts without being used (and is off load) is knackered. :(

If it was your vehicle battery you wouldn't be able to start it.

Fridge is on, setting 4, and is loaded with chilled food

Hi Jen,

In your position I would insist the leisure batteries were changed...

Result -

If the batteries were the cause the problem will go away...

If the batteries are not at fault and something is draining the batteries it should (in theory) with brand new batteries take longer for the fault to manifest itself.

Ultimately it will prove that something is depleting the batteries rather than the current position where your not sure if the condition of your batteries is causing or exacerbating the problem...

(I'm getting quite cross on your behalf)...

Good luck I want to see this resolved ASAP...

Mark

My suggestion would be to get a Battery company or a good Autoelectrian to check out the batteries and if faulty ask for a written report. Then present to VW vis your Dealer requesting replacement + refunding of the expenses incurred.
These batteries have been put through the mill and have, as others have said, probably suffered early failure. VW may have solved the original problem but NOT the subsequent consequences of their failure to sort it in a timely manner. Shouldn't cost that much and if proven correct should cost nothing.
It is something you may have to sort out anyway if you persist in your wild adventures during the winter months.:thumb

I started a log on Tuesday evening, when I knew that after a round trip of 360 miles the batteries will be as fully charged as they ever will.

Not true camping conditions, no lights, chargers, music systems running, no heater being turned on and off, just the fridge, fully stocked, chilled food, on moderate setting 4 and in cool weather, no sunshine warming up the interior of the van.

It started off as 12.6V 100% -0.8

after exactly 72 hours it is

11.9V 50% -0.4A

Says it all as far as I am concerned. No further prevarication needed.

My suggestion would be to get a Battery company or a good Autoelectrian to check out the batteries and if faulty ask for a written report. Then present to VW vis your Dealer requesting replacement + refunding of the expenses incurred.
These batteries have been put through the mill and have, as others have said, probably suffered early failure. VW may have solved the original problem but NOT the subsequent consequences of their failure to sort it in a timely manner. Shouldn't cost that much and if proven correct should cost nothing.
It is something you may have to sort out anyway if you persist in your wild adventures during the winter months.:thumb
We had to call the AA out when we had a problem with car batteries. The nice man was persuaded to do a check and had a gadget that checked the performance there and then. VW won't be able to argue against hard data.

I'm sure the "Granny Jen Charm" is up to shmoozing the local garage for a free battery test or 2! :D :kiss :shocked

Would it work with knackered batteries and, according to info received today, if battery 2 or three is unstable then refusal to accept charge intermittently would cause the problems I have.

I also will ask would a dodgy battery refuse charge from the vehicle alternator ...

Grab this one: Drive for 179 miles, as I did yesterday, stop, check readings:

12.6V ..... 70%..... -0.8 discharge.

179 miles and only 70% charged?

Is this normal?

(Rhetorical...)

Imagine this, three CCU's, earth shunt, wiring harnesses, chargers ..... all replaced,

when just changing a battery would have fixed it :shocked
Granny Jen
I just can't understand why the Cali was sent back to you without setting the date and time on the CCU. Did they test the batteries properly ????????? Your quote below

"Albert came home yesterday .... to my great joy. After giving him a hug and a kiss I reset the CCU to correct date and time, the fridge this time was on as it had to be tested under load. the batteries showed 100%, and I had been reassured that they had been tested and found to be good. However, just to make sure, I left the fridge on and the vehicle without hook-up overnight to see what the power loss would be."

I don't think the batteries could have been tested properly.

Tuesday night, 100% completely charged, or should have been after 360 mile round trip,

Only electrical device switched on the fridge, ticking over on setting 4 (drove the 360 miles with setting on Max to completely chill the fridge and contents), everything else completely switched off or disconnected.

Sunday morning, 11.30, Batteries 10.7A, fridge not working, indicated charge 20%.

I have now hooked up and it shows 12.8V .

I don't think the batteries could have been tested properly.

Tuesday night, 100% completely charged, or should have been after 360 mile round trip,

Only electrical device switched on the fridge, ticking over on setting 4 (drove the 360 miles with setting on Max to completely chill the fridge and contents), everything else completely switched off or disconnected.

Sunday morning, 11.30, Batteries 10.7A, fridge not working, indicated charge 20%.

I have now hooked up and it shows 12.8V .

" I reset the CCU to correct date and time" did they do it before they handed it back? that what puzzles me

Back