Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A few queries from a new member

TimR

TimR

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi to all. I hope someone can help with my queries for ordering my new van. They are fairly minor issues so sorry for being so particular! My questions are as follows:-

1) Is anyone able to confirm the size of the safe box opening? I would only be interested in including it as an extra if it can hold my 13” macbook.

2) Is there a facility to charge a mobile phone in the cab area with the standard RCD 310 + blutooth?

3) Does the van come with any standard mats in the cab area? I would be reluctant to pay for a different set if the existing ones are of a reasonable quality.

4) Is there a recommended product to use as a floor mat in the living area or is the plastic floor covering hardwearing and easy to clean?

5) Does the spare wheel come with a locking nut nowadays as I've heard stories of them being stolen.

6) Does anyone know if there is likely to be any new colours out soon? The existing choice is okay but not exactly inspiring!

Apologies if these questions have been answered elsewhere. Any advice will be greatly received.

Thanks
Tim

Q1- No
Q2- Yes. 12v socket in Dash cup holder as well as on top of Dash.
Q3- Yes.
Q4- But rear vinyl floor cold. I use mats from http://www.qtmdirect2u.com/products/vol ... -mats.html
Q5- There was no locking nut on mine. Even so, locking nut easily overcome. Fitted Spare Safe myself.
Q6- No idea.

+1 for the qtm mats had mine 4 years and still looking good :thumb
I would go for the safe anyway even if your Mac doesn't fit.

Agree regarding safe, for passports, wallet, cash etc.

VW Monster matts are a great not to expensive buy to protect the front carpets

It's a California

If your desire to buy one is dependent on the shape, size, colour of mats or the ability to put a laptop in the safe then don't buy one.

If your desire is to buy one of the most fun vehicles on the planet and cut your cloth to suit less than perfection in every category then buy one.

The safe does not hold my macbook air, I wish that it could. I just have to find somewhere else for it which is normally in one of the front seat rear pockets.

The vehicle has so many 12v sockets I wake up worrying every day where to charge my I phone. There are two on the dash, which for me are taken up by MiFi leads and I Pad chargers.

A set of rubber monster mats at the front cost less than a hundred quid for a £50k vehicle so I am hardly fussed as to where to wipe my feet. Rear area I have a rubber backed mat which cost me £16 on ebay and is a cheery red taking some of the rear drabness away.

Of course if all the fine detail is secondary compared to the fun of just driving off into the sunset knowing that wherever you end up the cali can hack it and you can stop, pop the roof, sleep comfortably for the night and bugger off into the next sunset knowing you have hardly a care in the world, including dirty feet on the carpet, then feel free to but it and get on with it :D

We just picked up our van on Saturday and while it's brand new and shinny you feel like you don't want to get it dirty or you have to be extra careful with it or you'll break things. But at the end of the day it's vehicle that wants to be used.

First thing we did was chuck the dogs and newphews in the van and drive to the closest beach so the back is now covered in sand and needs a good clean already ;-)

van.jpg

Sorry for the really cheesy photo!

Mark

TimR said:
Hi to all. I hope someone can help with my queries for ordering my new van. They are fairly minor issues so sorry for being so particular! My questions are as follows:-

1) Is anyone able to confirm the size of the safe box opening? I would only be interested in including it as an extra if it can hold my 13” macbook. YES - we take ours on our long Euro trips and it fits in fine (although it's tight)

2) Is there a facility to charge a mobile phone in the cab area with the standard RCD 310 + blutooth? Not sure

3) Does the van come with any standard mats in the cab area? I would be reluctant to pay for a different set if the existing ones are of a reasonable quality. No - Megavan mat for us plus VW heavy duty rubber mats over the top. Belt and braces!

4) Is there a recommended product to use as a floor mat in the living area or is the plastic floor covering hardwearing and easy to clean? QTM for us too - they make it a lot cosier and also make the floor way easier to clean - the plastic floor is a pain to clean IMO

5) Does the spare wheel come with a locking nut nowadays as I've heard stories of them being stolen. Not sure - no issues with ours in three years.

6) Does anyone know if there is likely to be any new colours out soon? The existing choice is okay but not exactly inspiring! Not sure!

Apologies if these questions have been answered elsewhere. Any advice will be greatly received.

Thanks
Tim

Hopefully useful answers above.

helmguy said:
We just picked up our van on Saturday and while it's brand new and shinny you feel like you don't want to get it dirty or you have to be extra careful with it or you'll break things. But at the end of the day it's vehicle that wants to be used.

First thing we did was chuck the dogs and newphews in the van and drive to the closest beach so the back is now covered in sand and needs a good clean already ;-)

van.jpg

Sorry for the really cheesy photo!

Mark

Not cheesy at all we like pictures :thumb good to see you using it

Q4. We find the plastic floor astonishingly impossible to wipe or scrub really clean.
Also, any dust & grit you attempt to sweep out, gets stuck down the seat runners or pushed under the trim lip in front of the door!
Our solution is a domestic rubber-backed thin doormat (90cm x 60cm) which normally sits across the rear floor & catches most mud/grit/dust/leaves etc.
To sweep it out, we pull it so it covers the last trim lip.
To move the rear seat (rare) we turn it lengthways when it lies between the runners.
Not perfect, but the best we found so far.
Cleaning the remaining bits of floor is still a pain!

It took us a while to get over the OCD cleaning when we got our new van, now we just enjoy it!

Thanks folks for all the useful replies.

GrannyJen these were only meant to be my final queries before ordering, and in no way would affect my decision buying the van or not. But it helps completing the dealer the ticklist!

Cheers to all
Tim

TimR said:
Thanks folks for all the useful replies.

GrannyJen these were only meant to be my final queries before ordering, and in no way would affect my decision buying the van or not. But it helps completing the dealer the ticklist!

Cheers to all
Tim

Good luck Tim, keep us informed, nice pictures of the vehicle etc,

I'm still trying to get my laptop into the safe, goodness knows how Matt (Kernow) does it ... but then my wardrobe is so stuffed with clothes and shoes it is impossible to get to most of the time anyway :D

Ours is a 13" MacBook Pro; always in the safe when we go away for a while.

Mine's a 13" macbook air... but then my wardrobe is so stuffed with clothes , with shoe bags on the floor, that to access the safe is a total PITA... so normally the laptop stays hidden elsewhere, or more often, taken with me...