Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Almost...Almost... A few queries on configuring and buying.

Exactly my thoughts, i've got a couple of years old tomtom with unlimited map updates as a backup

Thank you guys,

I do agree that the stock unit with sat nav is a no no purely on its cost.. I don't know, but I gues on top of that the updates will have a price.
The good thing about Google maps and Apple maps is that the regular updates are always free.
(I have checked out the Apple maps and it looks to be a useful tool)

You have just mentioned ' CarPlay' Rhyddin? That has gone over my head.. Sorry.

My understanding is:
The App-connect is needed to use apps from my iPhone on the entertainment system, I guess software will also be supplied to allow this to work.

Will there be a an additional cost for any software?

upgrading the basic system to the composite media+ with 6.66 screen as I believe this is a requirement for the App connect.

I think the sat nav option is much more painful in the Ocean, because you are forced into getting the Discover Media Plus, which is 600 pounds more than the regular Discover Media. I chose the lower end model on the Beach, because it is 400 more than the Composition media and I feel its a better solution than using apple maps, with potential offline and service issues, especially in more remote areas of Europe. I felt the additional money was worth it for an integrated system with a lifetime of maps and no worries about connectivity being determined by a phone's data connection. Were I buying an Ocean, I'd feel the cost of 1400+ pounds to be insulting and use either an aftermarket regular sat nav, or apple maps. That price is just insane, especially as many people are unlikely to feel that they are getting much extra that is useful for the additional price of the 'plus'. YMMV.

Thank you guys,

I do agree that the stock unit with sat nav is a no no purely on its cost.. I don't know, but I gues on top of that the updates will have a price.
The good thing about Google maps and Apple maps is that the regular updates are always free.
(I have checked out the Apple maps and it looks to be a useful tool)

You have just mentioned ' CarPlay' Rhyddin? That has gone over my head.. Sorry.

My understanding is:
The App-connect is needed to use apps from my iPhone on the entertainment system, I guess software will also be supplied to allow this to work.

Will there be a an additional cost for any software?

upgrading the basic system to the composite media+ with 6.66 screen as I believe this is a requirement for the App connect.
Sorry - Car Play is the specific function that Apple offer for their selected apps (Siri, Phone, Maps, Messages, Spotify, and a couple of others) to work on the screen of the entertainment system in a similar layout to the Apple device itself. Android's equivalent is called 'Android Auto' and allows use of Google Maps and more.

What VW's 'App-connect' option does is allow both of these functions to work on the VW system. You simply plug either an iPhone or Android phone into the USB of the Van and the entertainment system launches one or the other depending on the operation system that it detects.

There's also a third option through App Connect, 'Mirror Link'. I don't know anything about this one apart from what I've seen own the VW promotional videos on the car website but it looks pretty clever too. You shouldn't need to spend on anything else once you have App Connect, apart from a Spotify subscription if you want to use that, I guess.

FWIW the brochure states map updates are free with the discover media systems.

FWIW the brochure states map updates are free with the discover media systems.
It's not indefinite though. Here is an excerpt from the VW website on the subject:

The Volkswagen MapCare™ program. Stay in the know while on the go.
Roadways change. Shops open. And restaurants close. However, with the Volkswagen MapCare™ program, your VW Navigation System will always be up to date—helping you find the most efficient route, the closest hotel, gas station, and ATM—plus thousands of other points of interest. With your MapCare purchase, you’ll be covered and current for the next two years. No more guessing. No more hassles. In fact, your two future navigation updates will be automatically sent to you by mail at no extra charge. Plus, it’s simple to install! Go the easy way. MapCare is a multi-year program that will help keep your Volkswagen navigation system running at its peak, and make your VW driving experience even more enjoyable.

http://www.vwserviceandparts.com/car-care/vw-navigation-map-updates/

The sneaky b*ggers! The language in the brochure makes no mention of the free updates being limited.

Hmmm.... not impressed.

It's not indefinite though. Here is an excerpt from the VW website on the subject:

The Volkswagen MapCare™ program. Stay in the know while on the go.
Roadways change. Shops open. And restaurants close. However, with the Volkswagen MapCare™ program, your VW Navigation System will always be up to date—helping you find the most efficient route, the closest hotel, gas station, and ATM—plus thousands of other points of interest. With your MapCare purchase, you’ll be covered and current for the next two years. No more guessing. No more hassles. In fact, your two future navigation updates will be automatically sent to you by mail at no extra charge. Plus, it’s simple to install! Go the easy way. MapCare is a multi-year program that will help keep your Volkswagen navigation system running at its peak, and make your VW driving experience even more enjoyable.

Sorry - Car Play is the specific function that Apple offer for their selected apps (Siri, Phone, Maps, Messages, Spotify, and a couple of others) to work on the screen of the entertainment system in a similar layout to the Apple device itself. Android's equivalent is called 'Android Auto' and allows use of Google Maps and more.

What VW's 'App-connect' option does is allow both of these functions to work on the VW system. You simply plug either an iPhone or Android phone into the USB of the Van and the entertainment system launches one or the other depending on the operation system that it detects.

There's also a third option through App Connect, 'Mirror Link'. I don't know anything about this one apart from what I've seen own the VW promotional videos on the car website but it looks pretty clever too. You shouldn't need to spend on anything else once you have App Connect, apart from a Spotify subscription if you want to use that, I guess.

Thank you Rhyddin for such a clear and detailed explanation.
I will definitely make sure that the app connect is on my order.

I think the tinted glass is an option too... I would have thought it could have been standard considering the vehicles purpose.....

I hope I have covered most required options....
any extra thoughts would be most welcome.....

Thank you to everyone for their input and valuable help....

The Volkswagen MapCare program. Stay in the know while on the go.
Roadways change. Shops open. And restaurants close. However, with the Volkswagen MapCare program, your VW Navigation System will always be up to date—helping you find the most efficient route, the closest hotel, gas station, and ATM—plus thousands of other points of interest. With your MapCare purchase, you’ll be covered and current for the next two years. No more guessing. No more hassles. In fact, your two future navigation updates will be automatically sent to you by mail at no extra charge. Plus, it’s simple to install! Go the easy way. MapCare is a multi-year program that will help keep your Volkswagen navigation system running at its peak, and make your VW driving experience even more enjoyable.

No, free until 5 years after they stop selling the systems. https://www.volkswagen-media-servic...0551bbb36f7076696632a58eaeb?p_p_auth=0M6Q3ySi

I added the leather multifunction steering wheel in addition to cruise control. you get separate volume & forward back buttons as well the MFD controls.
Take care to spec the steering wheel for all you need. I didn't add a bit and can't retro fit it for Bluetooth, or something like that. Sorry to be vague, it was 2 years ago, £1,000 to do a botch job on it so just live with what I now have. I can't use the phone controls fully on the wheel.
I don't have a Cali. I have a fully VW warrantied conversion, but learned that I should have gone to a VW van dealer to spec the van bit.

You've got a similar options list to my Ocean :)

As you have a towbar (for a bike rack?) is it worth having the reversing camera? The park pilot works well enough so far for me & a bit cheaper.

Lights & vision might be worth adding? Can't remember why it was forced on my build maybe the laminate glass pack i added. The auto lights & windscreen wipers are nice to have.

2 It was an option only when i built mine in August.I would error on adding it. There were a few options that disappeared off my build either due to being standard or not compatible. Worked with the dealer to amend the price when it was in the port on its way to them.

3: Google maps is not supported on Carplay. I used apple maps tonight to get home & it was very good, Siri can be a hit & miss depending on data connectivity though when trying to do anything else. Podcasts & itunes works well.

4. Yes it is. I added the leather multifunction steering wheel in addition to cruise control. you get separate volume & forward back buttons as well the MFD controls.
If you have ordered the parking sensors with camera then the lights and vision package is required to go with this for the upgraded rear view mirror which displays the view from the camera

If you have ordered the parking sensors with camera then the lights and vision package is required to go with this for the upgraded rear view mirror which displays the view from the camera
On a T6, the rear view camera displays on the new stereo. The only one that displays on the mirror is the retro fit one.

image.jpeg

Thank you Dotti and Jonny.
That's two very good points.
I was under the impression that the rear view was via the entertainment display?
But I will make a note of and ask before it's finally specked up.

These are maybe little things but as you have said Dotti, once done it's not easy to retro.. Thank you both.

On a T6, the rear view camera displays on the new stereo. The only one that displays on the mirror is the retro fit one.

Thanks Rhyddin,
That confirms what I had thought...
That's the beauty of this site, lots of helpful personal experience out there....

View attachment 11475
I suspect that if you have one of the discovery media options the camera will,be displayed on the media screen otherwise it is displayed through the rear view mirror. I could be wrong on this however my order got bounced by the factory because I didn't have the sounds and vision option listed and I was given the explanation about the rear view mirror (I don't have a discovery media option chosen).

I suspect that if you have one of the discovery media options the camera will,be displayed on the media screen otherwise it is displayed through the rear view mirror. I could be wrong on this however my order got bounced by the factory because I didn't have the sounds and vision option listed and I was given the explanation about the rear view mirror (I don't have a discovery media option chosen).
I did upgrade the entertainment unit so, to be honest, you may be right - I can't keep up with the VW spec and updates!

Back