Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A Sleepless Night

CaliforniaDAN

CaliforniaDAN

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Whilst parked and locked at home after returning from a week in the lake district, my alarm activated four times from 6 pm last night, each time I checked the van, all the doors were locked no sign of the locks being forced, all windows were intact, and the last time it went off was at 2 am. Thinking I would have to use VW assist to turn out and solve the problem before my neighbours did with a brick :headwall I finally found the cause. It was a moth quite happily flying around the inside of my van. It must have been quite a sight to see me in my dressing gown at that time trying to remove the damn thing!

Needless to say that the internal motion detector is set to "very sensitive" on our vans. :oops:

Needless to say that the internal motion detector is set to "very sensitive" on our vans.

Have you tried sitting inside & trying to set it off. I can not make it go off !!

Acting like a moth is a good way! :laugh2

if you have that problem again instead of having a midnight battle with the moth just turn the inside sensors off on the door pillor sorted !!!!!

Very true but what can I say but i had had a drink celebrating Wigan's fantastic win over Leeds in Rugby League!!! :rofl

jay61cali said:
if you have that problem again instead of having a midnight battle with the moth just turn the inside sensors off on the door pillor sorted !!!!!

Could you remind me what you need to do? The chap at Bilbo's told us when we picked up the van, but there were too many things to remember. I don't fancy experimenting with it with the alarm blasting away, but it would be useful to be able to lock the van at night with us inside sometimes.

Easiest thing is to lock the doors using the rocker switch on the drivers door (by the window controls) that locks the doors but doesn't alarmify (new word I just invented) the van.

Californiaman said:
Easiest thing is to lock the doors using the rocker switch on the drivers door (by the window controls) that locks the doors but doesn't alarmify (new word I just invented) the van.

That's useful. Does it also lock the tailgate?

Locks everything - but allows you to open the side door from the inside by pulling the handle twice.

Californiaman said:
Locks everything - but allows you to open the side door from the inside by pulling the handle twice.

Thanks - I'll give it a try this evening (hoping for the sake of my neighbours that the alarm doesn't go off!).

The other way to do it is to press the lock button on the remote twice. It locks the doors (but does not deadlock) and doesn't enable the alarm.

Californiaman said:
The other way to do it is to press the lock button on the remote twice. It locks the doors (but does not deadlock) and doesn't enable the alarm.

Interesting. Can this be done from inside?

Only if you hold the remote control to your left ear when you do it.

...yes

ejmoore said:
jay61cali said:

Could you remind me what you need to do? The chap at Bilbo's told us when we picked up the van, but there were too many things to remember. I don't fancy experimenting with it with the alarm blasting away, but it would be useful to be able to lock the van at night with us inside sometimes.

I always disable the alarm on ferries using the door pillar switches
tr3oyh1z1b6g9fe5g.jpg

Californiaman said:
Only if you hold the remote control to your left ear when you do it.

...yes

Hmm, yes, I suppose there's not much point doing it from outside when the idea is to be asleep inside...

I'm just a bit paranoid about setting off the alarm as the point of all this is to do 'stealth camping' - don't want a major beep-beep-beep incident alerting everyone to our presence!

drmw1335 said:
Whilst parked and locked at home after returning from a week in the lake district, my alarm activated four times from 6 pm last night, each time I checked the van, all the doors were locked no sign of the locks being forced, all windows were intact, and the last time it went off was at 2 am. Thinking I would have to use VW assist to turn out and solve the problem before my neighbours did with a brick :headwall I finally found the cause. It was a moth quite happily flying around the inside of my van. It must have been quite a sight to see me in my dressing gown at that time trying to remove the damn thing!

Needless to say that the internal motion detector is set to "very sensitive" on our vans. :oops:

If you push the remote lock button twice it will turn off the interior monitoring sensors. It is also possible to adjust the sensitivity of the interior monitoring sensors too.

cheers