Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About Cali residuals in 2021.

I can't see this repeating itself.

Pandemic, production backlog and travel restrictions will all pass. Those are the main reasons for used vans selling for more than new.

Supply on the used market will increase significantly towards the end of the year as impulse buyers discover that this is not the life for them. Prices will adjust.

The current market is bonkers.

I can't see this repeating itself.

Pandemic, production backlog and travel restrictions will all pass. Those are the main reasons for used vans selling for more than new.

Supply on the used market will increase significantly towards the end of the year as impulse buyers discover that this is not the life for them. Prices will adjust.

The current market is bonkers.

Agree, but I don’t think for a while, people who have brought new will be on finance deals.

The used market yes, but depends on many factors.

If you think the Cali market is bonkers, try buying a house in North Devon or Cornwall right now :)

[mention]kriva [/mention] Did you buy the van? Which road did you take? Happy to read some news about it&photos please!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Hello Keriva,
If depreciation is your main concern then IMO you'd be better off not sinking your hard earned into any new motor vehicle. I'm sure that there are more reliable ways to hang onto to your cash.

There are many factors that could effect the value of your new California in the future. Some are under your control but many aren't. Currently it's a sellers market with high and in some cases stratospheric, prices being asked. I'm sure that the current high demand and corresponding shortage of supply will ensure that the market for used Calis and their corresponding values will remain strong for some time to come. However, if it is essential to you that your Cali retains most of the cash that you will be investing in buying it then I would recommend exercising caution.

They are great vehicles which over the years have always held their value well but that may not always be the case. I believe that any potential owner should enter ownership taking into account that this situation may change. In short there is no such thing as a "guarantee".

Last edited:
Hello Keriva,
If depreciation is your main concern then IMO you'd be better off not sinking your hard earned into any new motor vehicle. I'm sure that there are more reliable ways to hang onto to your cash.

There are many factors that could effect the value of your new California in the future. Some are under your control but many aren't. Currently it's a sellers market with high and in some cases stratospheric, prices being asked. I'm sure that the current high demand and corresponding shortage of supply will ensure that the market for used Calis and their corresponding values will remain strong for some time to come. However, if it is essential to you that your Cali retains most of the cash that you will be investing in buying it then I would recommend exercising caution.

They are great vehicles which over the years have always held their value well but that may not always be the case. I believe that any potential owner should enter ownership taking into account that this situation may change.

It’s a bit like houses, you ‘make’ your money (or in this case reduce your depreciation) when you *buy* it.

As long as you buy sensibility then depreciation whilst a risk, can be minimised.

It’s a bit like houses, you ‘make’ your money (or in this case reduce your depreciation) when you *buy* it.

As long as you buy sensibility then depreciation whilst a risk, can be minimised.
I agree. However the opportunity to buy sensibly may be limited at present. If I am correct, post lockdown demand for campervans appears to be high whereas supply of new Californias is currently little more than a trickle. Consequently, dealers may feel less inclined to offer discounts. This situation won't last so I doubt if the high residuals will either.

I agree. However the opportunity to buy sensibly may be limited at present. If I am correct, post lockdown demand for campervans appears to be high whereas supply of new Californias is currently little more than a trickle. Consequently, dealers may feel less inclined to offer discounts. This situation won't last so I doubt if the high residuals will either.
Get a T4 as a 2nd vehicle. % increase over time exceeds T5/T6 at the moment.

Get a T4 as a 2nd vehicle. % increase over time exceeds T5/T6 at the moment.
Only while the supply of 2nd hand vehicles outstrips supply. Once International travel opens up, the supply will open up and coupled with a few wet and windy summers there will be a glut.

Just had another email reminder from WBAC, so ran my first Beach through their system. I sold it to them for £36220 back in March 2018. As I paid just over £39000 new, I was extremely happy, especially as i had removed the awning and 2 extra seats! Now look at it!

D992FAD1-C596-406F-9800-ADCFA9C45EB6.jpeg

Not just Cali models that hold their value.

I sold my one year old Motorhome 10 years ago and saw a similar one recently for £5,000 more than I sold mine for recently.

I have just picked up my Cali Coast today and the dealer (Ben at Eurovans) told me he could probably sell it for more than I paid for it today, such is the demand.
I have always thought that new cars lose about 15-20% of their value when they leave the showroom - this is the first time when I have left the dealer with a vehicle worth more than what I paid for it.
California residuals will always be fantastic, because it is such a desirable vehicle.

I’m sure everyone is aware that prices are currently artificially inflated due to the massive demand of ‘staycations’ and the huge delay in delivery of new California’s.

Personally I feel prices will fall back to normal and maybe even more steeply, probably after this summer into next as a lot of people who brought motor homes and California’s on a whim (I know 3 people personally that had zero interest who all purchased motorhomes in lockdown) go back to their normal foreign holidays. And also the factory catches up and the backlog of California’s are delivered.

The Cali is a great buy in terms of depreciation, but anyone purchasing now second hand might be in for a bit of a shock.

Current owners and people who have just taken delivery I think will be fine as it will just be normal low California depreciation.

The fact that I just sold my 2014 for essentially the same price I paid for it, and a 2019 T6 went for £62k at auction I certainly wouldn’t want to be buying secondhand right now from a dealer.

I’m sure everyone is aware that prices are currently artificially inflated due to the massive demand of ‘staycations’ and the huge delay in delivery of new California’s.

Personally I feel prices will fall back to normal and maybe even more steeply, probably after this summer into next as a lot of people who brought motor homes and California’s on a whim (I know 3 people personally that had zero interest who all purchased motorhomes in lockdown) go back to their normal foreign holidays. And also the factory catches up and the backlog of California’s are delivered.

The Cali is a great buy in terms of depreciation, but anyone purchasing now second hand might be in for a bit of a shock.

Current owners and people who have just taken delivery I think will be fine as it will just be normal low California depreciation.

The fact that I just sold my 2014 for essentially the same price I paid for it, and a 2019 T6 went for £62k at auction I certainly wouldn’t want to be buying secondhand right now from a dealer.
Yes I'm waiting for a well spec'd new Ocean and will pay £64k for it. The 2019 price is surely so similar because delivery of a new one will take c12 months (unless the buyer was a massive T6 rather than T6.1 fan).

I believe there will be a correction in price for all leisure vehicles within 2 to 3 years & IMO that will be when people can travel freely again, yes some people who have bought leisure vehicles due to Covid will have loved the experience and be converted but there will be lots of owners who will ditch their expensive purchase once they can fly and cruise again.