Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About cooking smoke exhaustion

Like the original message here, we do use the internal cooking facilities to prepare hot meals.

We looked at possibility to install a Dometic CK2000 cooker extractor above the hob area.

It will require some special brackets, but will fit nicely.

It uses replaceable charcoal filter and 12V supply.

Quite widely used in the larger motorhomes.

Measurements: 28cm deep x 40cm long x 5.6cm thick. Which is very compact. I did aim to construct cardboard mock up, but this slipped.

When last checked was available on Amazon at £242.17

We aimed to check out at the Camping and Caravan show but this was cancelled due to Covid.

In that case they are either using a separate system for ventilation mode, a different Eberspacher Heater, which I haven't come across or a different make of heater. What does the Door label say?
This is the door panel on my T6.1:door panel.jpg

This is the door panel on my T6.1:View attachment 69132
Well that's the same basic Eberspacher heater, upgraded to automatically compensate for altitude changes. So if you are getting fresh air ventilation VW must be using another system as its not coming from the Eberspacher heater.

You wouldn’t want to drive with it in.
Fairly easy, but we are two and one is outside to push it.
It'll probably get easier after a few times.
Really useful when it's stormy and you have to sleep downstairs with the roof down.

I actually have both the Reimo and CSI vents.
The CSI one is a part window vent that is held in place by the sliding window. I did have to grind the corners off the 'L' shaped parts that the sliding glass slots into to make for easy closing. Fits either side. Solidly made part only negative would be that driven rain may enter as no hood or louvre to give protection. I use it on the door so no issue.

Stored in the seat drawer.

T5 &6 plus new T6.1 versions.

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting the VanEssa grilles, but their website is confusing. There are 2 grilles, one for the driver and one for the passenger side. These are for LHD vehicles - fair enough. But they say you should reverse this for RHD vehicles. Why? The passenger cabin in the California is identical for LHD and RHD vehicles, isn't it. So, if I want one to fit in kitchen side window, I should get the LDH drivers side one, correct?
Also, their payment system looks pretty hopeless. Either pay in advance, or they claim they use paypal, though this doesn't seem to be an option at checkout.
Can anybody confirm which grille I would need for the t6.1 kitchen (RHD passenger, LHD driver) side? How did you pay for it?
or
For >€100 I want to be sure what I am ordering!

Can't really see the point of the window grille as the smells could just as easily come back in. I was looking at making a blank panel using the fly screen as a pattern and then a hole with a fan which would force the air/smells out. Must get round to it one day.

I was thinking of getting the VanEssa grilles, but their website is confusing. There are 2 grilles, one for the driver and one for the passenger side. These are for LHD vehicles - fair enough. But they say you should reverse this for RHD vehicles. Why? The passenger cabin in the California is identical for LHD and RHD vehicles, isn't it. So, if I want one to fit in kitchen side window, I should get the LDH drivers side one, correct?
Also, their payment system looks pretty hopeless. Either pay in advance, or they claim they use paypal, though this doesn't seem to be an option at checkout.
Can anybody confirm which grille I would need for the t6.1 kitchen (RHD passenger, LHD driver) side? How did you pay for it?
or
For >€100 I want to be sure what I am ordering!
The Reimo T5-6 is either left or right fitting ie sink side doesn't fit the door window and vice versa. Assume that T6.1 is the same.
Look the same but the securing inner parts are handed.

Ignore mention of driver side and think left (kitchen) and right (door) on Cali's.

Normally have a big opening, such as boot or sliding door open,

however we are talking about the monsoon season so water ingress can be a problem, not to mention a little bit chilly.

My only answer in that case would be the sliding window over the kitchen.

I still have horrible flashbacks of my early days in a Cali, going away with freshly chopped vegetables all ready to use, and living with the smell for what seemed to be forever of fired onions and steak. Never again.

Now I limit my use of a frying pan to stir fried vegetables or potato croquettes or similar, with main food items cooked in the Remoska (if on grid) or Ridge monkey (if off).
ridge monkey helps a lot for smells

We just use a rechargeable fan and put near the window facing out. It’s magnetic so if you had a metal window insert you could attach it maybe?

We just use a rechargeable fan and put near the window facing out. It’s magnetic so if you had a metal window insert you could attach it maybe?
Hi, could you please give me a recommendation about the fan? I just want to find one that power is enough.
Thank you.

Hi, I bought a 12DC fan and a speed controller, and with a USB mini cable to install together, but why they don’t work when connecting the power?

Is that USB cable the problem? Should I need a socket cable?

CDA09155-66AE-4414-93A5-37DD5AF44424.jpeg

DF88F288-1C05-42B3-9235-62B0D005B770.jpeg

D0889060-04ED-4E01-9F31-0943DD9CE59C.jpeg

558EACAC-E911-4D90-8821-81F5792EB4E2.jpeg

D4551795-1645-4C5A-9B0B-93C21C8C4B01.jpeg

96B95A80-A755-4A91-A0C5-3AD51FBB141E.jpeg

Not quite sure what you're using the USB cable for. USB is 5v. You need 12v, right? So what are you plugging the male USB type B end into? If it's 5v, then the fan won't work. If it's 12v then the cable may be the problem, as it will only be rated for 5v (and it looks pretty thin to me).

Hi, I bought a 12DC fan and a speed controller, and with a USB mini cable to install together, but why they don’t work when connecting the power?

Is that USB cable the problem? Should I need a socket cable?

View attachment 69451

View attachment 69452

View attachment 69453

View attachment 69454

View attachment 69455

View attachment 69456
That fan is rated at 12v and 80 watts, so it will require at least 6 amps at 12v. The USB cable is of no use whatsoever as they are normally rated between 0.5 to 2.5 amps.

Not quite sure what you're using the USB cable for. USB is 5v. You need 12v, right? So what are you plugging the male USB type B end into? If it's 5v, then the fan won't work. If it's 12v then the cable may be the problem, as it will only be rated for 5v (and it looks pretty thin to me).
Hi, I think you are right.
This usb cable belongs to the mini cooling fan, but it is still 12v, just pretty thin.

8DE982E4-BC17-47B3-8290-4DA53F34CE94.jpeg

Back