Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accessories that are a waste of money

I bought the washing line which connects into the rail some years back from the club shop.
Totally useless, probably used it once...

Your washing line sounds good. We had one stolen, left it hanging up one day with no clothes on and somebody thought it was fair game. The next line got left behind in a rush to leave with rainy weather ...

I bought the washing line which connects into the rail some years back from the club shop.
Totally useless, probably used it once...
Why is this so useless? Thinking of buying one after running out of drying space on the bike rack repeatedly!

I bought the washing line connector to the top rail and used it on our recent trip, I attached it to c.f. club plug in post, I thought I would be in bother....
Really pleased with it as everything dried quickly on it with a light breeze.
Later in the trip when there was nothing to tie the line to I discovered that I could open the boot and tie my line onto the 2 rubber stops inside the tailgate. Perfect to dry 3 towels after our showers. I wish I'd taken a photo now...

I bought the washing line connector to the top rail and used it on our recent trip, I attached it to c.f. club plug in post, I thought I would be in bother....
Really pleased with it as everything dried quickly on it with a light breeze.
Later in the trip when there was nothing to tie the line to I discovered that I could open the boot and tie my line onto the 2 rubber stops inside the tailgate. Perfect to dry 3 towels after our showers. I wish I'd taken a photo now...

I made up a bungee cord with hooks the right length to go from the top of one gas strut to the other, via the tailgate pull 'loop' handle. Works very well for drying the towels while having breakfast.

We have been using the washing line that attaches onto the California’s rail (from the club shop) every day for the past eight months on our trip around Europe - we use it to dry the towels after showering. It’s been invaluable. You just have to remember to keep the van reasonably clean on the outside. Would definitely recommend it though.

Next waste of money in our van - Dynaudio. Maybe it’s my ears, but I honestly cannot hear any improvement over the RNS510 that was fitted in our previous van. It’s louder without distortion, but the other one was plenty loud enough. And we’ve lost the handy shelf on the dashboard.

Had I specced the van myself that money would have gone towards 4motion. The wheels would have paid for the rest!

Having said that, the discount we got off our van still made it worth the useless extras that were fitted.
:D Dynaudio was one of the key options I wanted (err needed) after having had in Cali on hire with it.

It was only after heading off for a drive on my lonesome did I crank up the volume (quite unaware at the time of what Dynaudio could do) did I start to hear the clarity and multi levels in the music that I was listening to. It was like going from standard def tele to 4k but for the ears. I ended up doubling my trip home purely so that I could I listen to my fav tracks. Low volume simply doesnt do it justice. Music has been a constant since I was a youngun so it was quite the boon to listen to it in a van at a pretty decent quality level.

It def gets my vote :thumb

Almost everything bought has proved pretty useful, but that's only because I read up on this forum before buying.

Roof topper has proved a bit of a waste of money for us. I hadn't taken on board how effective the auxiliary heater is, and with a good goose-down duvet we've not really found the need for the topper even in a (British) winter. (But if I was going to the Alps or to Scandi in the winter then I'd certainly pack the topper.)

Don't-leave-home-without accessories for us have proved to be:
- Lightweight (cheapo) internal windscreen blind - instead of the rubbish cloth VW one.
- Pair of levelling ramps. Use them more often than I expected.
- Two little wooden discs that drop into the T5 cup-holders to hold the spring-arms open so you can actually get a cup in with one hand!
- Outwell collapsible kettle. So dinky, but also practical.
- Neoprene multi-pocket wine bottle sleeves.
- Calitop kitchen shelf. We find it really useful in the evenings when the worktop is chock full of stuff.
- Woven Welsh wool floor rug (made to fit). Looks couth but easy to shake off dried mud and crud.
- Inka seat covers. Antithesis of the 'executive' look, but we like the practicality and they're decent value.
- Short strap that clips to dog harness and plugs into the bench seat belt socket.
- Really nice thick (Icelandic) wool blanket for the bench.
- Large dry-bag for stashing and compressing down duvet.
- Small bluetooth speaker. Just upgraded from crappy LS Hive to UE Boom 2.
- Bunch of 'spring coiled' USB charging cables, to avoid wires hanging everywhere.
- Cobb cooker. Love this, wouldn't be without for summer camping.
- Aeropress coffee maker. Already used one at home so not really a 'Cali discovery'.
- A bunch of plastic 'tupperware' style boxes that actually fit neatly on the various rear corner cupboard. shelves. Couldn't tell you the makes, I just trawled round hardware shops with a tape measure until I found ones that are just right.
- Thetford 335 porta-potti. Works for us - enough said.

Two little wooden discs that drop into the T5 cup-holders to hold the spring-arms open so you can actually get a cup in with one hand!

Would love to see how this works. Got any photos?

Can I throw in the electric sliding door into this pot?

Nipping out to the loo is a nightmare at 2am with the door beeping away each time its opened and closed. Amazing how loud it sounds at the dead of nightI. had to set it to manual each time and use every ounce of my strength to then pull / push the ruddy thing open.

Nipping out to the loo is a nightmare at 2am with the door beeping away each time its opened and closed. Amazing how loud it sounds at the dead of nightI. had to set it to manual each time and use every ounce of my strength to then pull / push the ruddy thing open.
How do you set it to manual?

I'm beginning to think App Connect is not all its cracked up to be (Android Auto in my case). It severely limits the capability of the phone and often gets its knickers in a twist establishing a proper connection... Both of which tempt you to start fiddling with your phone when moving. All of the streamed music connectivity benefits are there with Bluetooth.
(if all this is user error, please point me to the thread where I can become a grand master).
my app connect is constantly failing to connect. and what is that mirror link?i can't get that working but think that's my phone that doesn't support it ? I suspect I need a better quality high speed cable. i'm going to try that. have you tried a different cable ?

my app connect is constantly failing to connect. and what is that mirror link?i can't get that working but think that's my phone that doesn't support it ? I suspect I need a better quality high speed cable. i'm going to try that. have you tried a different cable ?
I've sold the T6 now but I think the connection did improve with a different cable. I rarely plugged it in to be honest because I still used to mount my phone on an air vent holder, so just used the phone (for nav / music) and the Bluetooth for phone calls. Now I'm back in a T5 with just a Bluetooth connection and use it just the same.

Last edited:
We have found that in V's car the steory on Apple carplay works seamlessly but the same stereo on android (mirrorlink or android auto) is for some reason flaky and unreliable. I upgraded my phone recently and gave her my old iphone 6, her stereo is much better to use on apple for some reason.

a poke with a screwdriver through beeper cures that

It was a serious suggestion - do a search on old posts. It was discussed at length when the electric door first came out as an option.

I have found the ladder from the shop a waste of money, after using it a few times I haven’t since.
Ok for people with kids or a bit stiff on moving about, wish I had not bought it.

I have found the ladder from the shop a waste of money, after using it a few times I haven’t since.
Ok for people with kids or a bit stiff on moving about, wish I had not bought it.
Brilliant for people who need to get up quick in the night for a wee, especially if you’ve woken up desperate!

Brilliant for people who need to get up quick in the night for a wee, especially if you’ve woken up desperate!

Ladder is one of those accessories that you either need, in which case you'll swear by it, or you just don't, in which case a waste of money/space. Bladder notwithstanding.

My nomination for the - Waste of money award, is the Voice Command function. I've had that on at least half a dozen cars that I've owned. None of them ever worked satisfactorily. There may be a knack to using it. If that's the case then I haven't got it. Reading the hand book might help but frankly life is too short and anyway I don't need any help getting to sleep.

Last edited:
It was a serious suggestion - do a search on old posts. It was discussed at length when the electric door first came out as an option.
Cheers for that. I'll check that out. :thumb Its just a shame you cant switch it off manually rather than give it a good poke.

I suppose it stops the need for climbing allover the front seats too with potentially dirty socks and feet. (forever telling my 2 young'uns!)

Ladder is one of those accessories that you either need, in which case you'll swear by it, or you just don't, in which case a waste of money/space. Bladder notwithstanding.

We use the ladder a lot. Avoids possible damage to heated seats & armrests; Also handy for roof loads.

Back