Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accidentally left the side door open - no warning when locking the van

Rololux

Rololux

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
The other day I Iocked the van (T6.1) and walked away. For some reason I looked back and noticed that I had forgotten to close the side door - but when I had locked the van there was no warning that the van was not secure. I was a bit surprised that there was no warning - it this something that can be configured somewhere? A horn beep or something would be nice! If left in this state, would the interior ultrasonic security system be armed?

The other day I Iocked the van (T6.1) and walked away. For some reason I looked back and noticed that I had forgotten to close the side door - but when I had locked the van there was no warning that the van was not secure. I was a bit surprised that there was no warning - it this something that can be configured somewhere? A horn beep or something would be nice! If left in this state, would the interior ultrasonic security system be armed?
Are you sure it locked? You pressed the lock button but if a door is open it does not lock.

You can configure the horn to beep or lights to flash etc using a vcds (I think carista also, but not sure) .. but not sure of the full set of functionality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mine doesn't lock if a door is open, it pretends to lock
but doesn't.
Until you close the sliding door, then it locks without pressing
anything. I once somehow sat on the key and it locked but didn't lock
until i shut the sliding door with my key inside, which meant i was locked
out.
Luckily the sliding window in the kitchen was opened 1 notch, so i found a
guy with a thin arm to reach in and open it fully, then i was able to fish out the keys
with a piece of bamboo that had been fly-tipped, it really saved my bacon so i do have
quite a fondness of fly-tippers, you never know what you might need.

But really, this locking business should've now been sorted out by VW, it
seems it was an issue and still is, it seems.

but doesn't.
out.
guy with a thin arm to reach in and open it fully, then i was able to fish out the keys
with a piece of bamboo that had been fly-tipped, it really saved my bacon so i do have

VW's greatest trick is the tailgate unlock button.

1. Unlock the tailgate using the tailgate button.
2. Open tailgate to retrieve heavy item.
3. Put keys down in the tailgate to carry heavy item.
4. Remove heavy item and return to van.
5. Close tailgate.
6. Shout oh £u€k!

:headbang

Yil

5. Close tailgate.
6. Shout oh £u€k!

yip been here, got the T-shirt with a 100 round trip to collect the spare ‍♀️

You can lock a VW with all the doors (bootlid, passenger door, both rear doors/sliding doors, bonnet) open except the driver's door. Just the indicators won't show. Once you closed the last door, the indicators will blink, showing the car is closed.
Other brands tend to reopen the vehicle when one door is left open.
You choose which is better.
VW did have a lot of problems with door locks as from 1997 (Golf 4, Passat B3) where the driver's door lock doesn't detect it's open (faulty microswitch), when you don't pay attention, the car will close itself after 30 seconds because it didn't detect "door open".
Now it's getting better, but still an issue.

On the T6. I long press the key fob until I see the wing mirrors flip. Then I know it’s locked.

You can lock a VW with all the doors (bootlid, passenger door, both rear doors/sliding doors, bonnet) open except the driver's door. Just the indicators won't show. Once you closed the last door, the indicators will blink, showing the car is closed.
I have a surf key cunningly hidden externally. I could tell you where it is hidden, but immediately after I'd have to assassinate you.

Last edited:

We had exactly the same problem this summer, thought we had locked the Cali and went off to visit one of the most beautiful French villages' in the Aveyron(Plus Beau Village de France). Back to the Cali after a couple of hours to find that we hadn't closed the side sliding door, everything was still there, but we did panic

So I did a test. If you lock the van with the side door open, the other doors do lock. If you then close the sliding door, that is also locked. So another potential prat trap!

5. Close tailgate.
6. Shout oh £u€k!

Also, don’t leave your dog in the van ( not Cali) to warmup. Left him in the van drying out after he had been for a swim, left engine running. Talking to a mate outside, tapped the window, he came over to the window and pressed the central locking button.... luckily not too far from home so a spare key was delivered to me....dog was warm and dry, I was ready to smash a window if he was going to be too hot.... could easily be done with the Cali central locking button.

BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Surf crime wave hits beaches
At least with a surf key there's no button for a thief with half a brain to press to identify the vehicle by flashing lights in a busy car park. Of course that benefit is completely lost if the key is hidden on the vehicle - assuming the thief has a quarter or more of brain.

So I did a test. If you lock the van with the side door open, the other doors do lock. If you then close the sliding door, that is also locked. So another potential prat trap!
But the indicators only flash if all doors locked.

Don't fix your hidden surfer key on so securely like l did initially, with wire and pliers. Then l realised l would need a pair of pliers to retrieve it.

As others have said, you only thought that you had locked it! I've done it many times with the passenger's door only on the first catch or the back lid not fully down.

Moral of story is to watch for the flashers to flash, if they don't it all doors are not locked!

but doesn't.
out.

Just a thought in the meantime while waiting for a VW fix. Maybe a key safe (padlock style with combination) secured under the van somewhere with a surf key inside? It’ll at least get you in.

Just a thought in the meantime while waiting for a VW fix. Maybe a key safe (padlock style with combination) secured under the van somewhere with a surf key inside? It’ll at least get you in.
Many do that, or similar. Abroad I take 2 sets of keys. One secreted in/on the van and have a surf key on a lanyard. The alarm might sound for 30mins while I retrieve the hidden set, but so what. At least I won't be stranded 100s of miles from home.

Don't fix your hidden surfer key on so securely like l did initially, with wire and pliers. Then l realised l would need a pair of pliers to retrieve it.
I bought a magnetic key box - just big enough for the 'surf' key - it fits perfectly securely / discretely under the rear - and have hidden the spare key inside. So hopefully im covered.

I bought a magnetic key box - just big enough for the 'surf' key - it fits perfectly securely / discretely under the rear - and have hidden the spare key inside. So hopefully im covered.
A common place.

I think that a risk in hiding a key externally on the vehicle is invalidating insurance in the event of a theft and the surf key being used for the theft. It is a risk I am prepared to take, but others might not be prepared for such a risk.

I think that a risk in hiding a key externally on the vehicle is invalidating insurance in the event of a theft and the surf key being used for the theft. It is a risk I am prepared to take, but others might not be prepared for such a risk.
Then don't tell them...plausible denial :embarrased

Back