Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accidentally left the side door open - no warning when locking the van

On the T6. I long press the key fob until I see the wing mirrors flip. Then I know it’s locked.
Seriously? I have a 2014 Cali and I like to fold up the wing mirrors as space is a bit tight in the garage but I have to make the mirrors fold up using the wee knob on the drivers door.

I bought a magnetic key box - just big enough for the 'surf' key - it fits perfectly securely / discretely under the rear - and have hidden the spare key inside. So hopefully im covered.
Wouldn’t think your insurance would want you to advertise that CALIFATE?

Seriously? I have a 2014 Cali and I like to fold up the wing mirrors as space is a bit tight in the garage but I have to make the mirrors fold up using the wee knob on the drivers door.
Yep, automatic on the t6.1 :)

Get used to that. T5.1 doesn't have the feature, and is not possible to have it (through VW anyway).

After speaking to a Cali owner at a dealership who has had to cut the netting on a side bellows window to get his keys back that were locked in the van on a site in Spain, I hid a surf key under our Cali well forward of the spare.

There was enough space to crawl under and release it if required.

Thankfully never needed it but knew we were covered should we get locked out.

After speaking to a Cali owner at a dealership who has had to cut the netting on a side bellows window to get his keys back that were locked in the van on a site in Spain, I hid a surf key under our Cali well forward of the spare.

There was enough space to crawl under and release it if required.

Thankfully never needed it but knew we were covered should we get locked out.
Now we just have to find a picture of your Cali with the license plate visible and we can nick your van. Thanks for that.

Now we just have to find a picture of your Cali with the license plate visible and we can nick your van. Thanks for that.
Best of luck I sold it and took the private plate off. :cheers

Last edited:
I don't understand why VW is respondable for al the things we do wrong :rolleyes:.
We, my wife and me, each have a key in our pockets when we are on holiday.
The problem is that I may not loose my wife after I have lost my key;)

Back