Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ad blue advice

B

Beachfamily22

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
The time has come for our first AdBlue top-up. I know this can be problematic and I know there are some great threads about how to get it right, but as the search is broken I can't find them.

Looking for advice or tips please. Dashboard says I need 2.75 to 4.5 gal.. do I go for upper or lower limit? Better to use dispenser petrol station or do at home? Anything special to do/ not do?

Thanks!

We use a petrol station adblue pump as once you open an adblue bottle it doesn’t store well. We are extremely careful not to get it on paintwork as other forum members advise it can strip it
We usually put in the upper figure or close to it. Finally, turn ignition key to 1st setting ie do not turn engine fully on as the system needs a short time to update.
Hope this information helps

I don't know how the price compares using a petrol station dispenser, nor what the minimum dispense volume would be...I have always topped up at home. I usually wait until the smaller number is equal to or more than the amount I have bought/about to buy....that way you can put it "all in" so you don't have to store any remainder. I try as hard as I can not to get any AdBlue on the paintwork and immediately remove it with a cloth if I do (the pipes they give you with the AdBlue containers are not good enough for the job IMHO). I tend to decant 1.5L into a 2L bottle in pour in from that trying to use a fuel funnel. Trying to hold a 5L or 10L AdBlue container and pour it is not easy task! I suppose using the dispenser at the petrol station is the less risky option plus you'll get the "click" when the AdBlue tank is full and so not get any on the paintwork. I haven't seen many petrol stations that have AdBlue dispense pumps.
The reason for the range of volume required just shows how inaccurate the volume sensing is.
I guess my response will prompt some other thoughts!

Use a pump at a petrol station, much cleaner. Put in a little bit less than the maximum stated amount, in this case I'd go for 4.5 gallons.

The time has come for our first AdBlue top-up. I know this can be problematic and I know there are some great threads about how to get it right, but as the search is broken I can't find them.

Looking for advice or tips please. Dashboard says I need 2.75 to 4.5 gal.. do I go for upper or lower limit? Better to use dispenser petrol station or do at home? Anything special to do/ not do?

Thanks!
It’s straightforward. Use a pump, it’s cheaper & more importantly easier to monitor how much you are putting in. Fill close to your recommended upper limit.
Don’t turn ignition on immediately after filling just to first click.

Thanks for the helpful replies. How long do I leave the ignition before turning on?

I'd be too cautious to fill until the nozzle clicks. I would ensure that you definitely fill to a bit less than the maximum quoted; overfilling the tank can be an expensive mistake (not done it myself but a friend has!)

After filling just turn the ignition key to the stage where the dash lights all come on and wait until the adblue range jumps up to a few thousand miles before starting.

Thanks all, mission successfully completed, albeit with a bit of cussing from an impatient HGV driver. The dash didn't show any info about AdBlue mileage when I turned the key half way, but after waiting a while I started the ignition and scrolled to the AdBlue section, and it's now showing 16K miles

I don't know how the price compares using a petrol station dispenser, nor what the minimum dispense volume would be...I have always topped up at home. I usually wait until the smaller number is equal to or more than the amount I have bought/about to buy....that way you can put it "all in" so you don't have to store any remainder. I try as hard as I can not to get any AdBlue on the paintwork and immediately remove it with a cloth if I do (the pipes they give you with the AdBlue containers are not good enough for the job IMHO). I tend to decant 1.5L into a 2L bottle in pour in from that trying to use a fuel funnel. Trying to hold a 5L or 10L AdBlue container and pour it is not easy task! I suppose using the dispenser at the petrol station is the less risky option plus you'll get the "click" when the AdBlue tank is full and so not get any on the paintwork. I haven't seen many petrol stations that have AdBlue dispense pumps.
The reason for the range of volume required just shows how inaccurate the volume sensing is.
I guess my response will prompt some other thoughts!
If you go to a station that lorry go they are the one’s have the pump

Great thread.
I was given a huge nearly full canister a few weeks ago and thought how lucky I was.
Now I have the problem of disposing of it rather than using it, but better that than damaging the van. :thumb

Back