Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AdBlu

In the nicest possible way, where is the evidence that shows this 'shelf life' recommendation?
As someone having held academic positions in Chemistry at both Oxford and Exeter Universities I looked it up. Under normal conditions of temperature and in the absence of light the rate of hydrolysis of urea in deionised water at pH 7 is nothing to get excited about. As urea hydrolyses it converts into ammonia and cyanate ions. So if you can't smell ammonia I would not worry about it. Entirely up to you what you wish to believe.

As someone having held academic positions in Chemistry at both Oxford and Exeter Universities I looked it up. Under normal conditions of temperature and in the absence of light the rate of hydrolysis of urea in deionised water at pH 7 is nothing to get excited about. As urea hydrolyses it converts into ammonia and cyanate ions. So if you can't smell ammonia I would not worry about it. Entirely up to you what you wish to believe.
Thank you Wildcamper...I won't lose any sleep over the bargain 10litres I'm keeping in the dark, in my beer store/garage.

In the nicest possible way, where is the evidence that shows this 'shelf life' recommendation?
According to work done at the Department of Chemistry at the University of Adelaide the 1/2 life for the hydrolysis of urea in deionised water at pH7 is 40 years. This can be reduced via changing the pH, adding enzyme catalysts etc. But at 25C in deionised water pH7 with no added other substances don't worry is my opinion.

According to work done at the Department of Chemistry at the University of Adelaide the 1/2 life for the hydrolysis of urea in deionised water at pH7 is 40 years. This can be reduced via changing the pH, adding enzyme catalysts etc. But at 25C in deionised water pH7 with no added other substances don't worry is my opinion.
Again, thank you...I won't worry. Db.

"The shelf life is AdBlue defined in the ISO 22241-3 standards. At constant temperatures up to 30 deg C the product will last a minimum of 12 months; at constant temperatures up to 35 deg C the shelf life is reduced to a minimum of 6 months. It is recommended that AdBlue be stored out of the direct sunlight and below 35 deg C. Where higher ambient temperatures are experienced, tanks should be insulated or stored in a shaded area"

Page 3 of this document from Cummins Inc, the biggest producer of Diesel engines in the world.

Phew, we just used our 10 litre container( bought at Halfords) to refill the Adblue. Indicator had gone to 1000 miles so as you’ve all been advising, in it went. Engine off, attach the tube ( which comes with container and a pretty neat fit) and lift and pour. The container tube has ‘two pipes’, one which has Adblu flow the othe the air inlet to assist flow. It kind of neede both of us to support the container at the start as it’s quite heavy but once it got going my husband released the support from underneath and I finished the pour. Closed the Adblu refill cap and into van… switched ignition on (don’t start engine) and wait 30 seconds… then switch engine on … Yippee, 5500 miles showing on indicator. Glad that’s done, the comments on here about ‘doing damage’ had me paranoid!

Phew, we just used our 10 litre container( bought at Halfords) to refill the Adblue. Indicator had gone to 1000 miles so as you’ve all been advising, in it went. Engine off, attach the tube ( which comes with container and a pretty neat fit) and lift and pour. The container tube has ‘two pipes’, one which has Adblu flow the othe the air inlet to assist flow. It kind of neede both of us to support the container at the start as it’s quite heavy but once it got going my husband released the support from underneath and I finished the pour. Closed the Adblu refill cap and into van… switched ignition on (don’t start engine) and wait 30 seconds… then switch engine on … Yippee, 5500 miles showing on indicator. Glad that’s done, the comments on here about ‘doing damage’ had me paranoid!
Don't understand this Adblue paranoia. The dash display tells one when to add to the Adblue tank and how much. All one has to do is read the display, buy some and fill the tank with the blue cap - simple!

Don't understand this Adblue paranoia. The dash display tells one when to add to the Adblue tank and how much. All one has to do is read the display, buy some and fill the tank with the blue cap - simple!
Quite happy now we’ve gone through the process it is really straightforward. Would however say for a modern vehicle that has so many ‘bells and whistles’ VW should have a more ‘foolproof system’ of filling with no possible chance of ‘overfilling’

Quite agree.

As I'm quite useless at maths and my local adblu pump is always busy it's just a case of wait until the display says "add 2.25 gallons", buy a 10l container from somewhere, tip it in, job done for another 4,000 miles or so.

Why the fuss?

It's even easier if you use an AdBlue pump. Put in the nozzle. Fill 'till it clicks off. Pay.

Now I have an even easier method. When I take it for a service I give them the eight free refills sheet (given after a computer update), and get them to top it up.

Yep it’s definitely straightforward, 10litre container is ‘heavy’ to hold up initially and that’s about it !

Anyone seen any offer on adblu?
I need about 30 litres for 2 vehicles, nearest place with a pump won't let cars use it, cheapest I can find is about £19 for 10 litres.

I need about 30 litres for 2 vehicles, nearest place with a pump won't let cars use it, cheapest I can find is about £19 for 10 litres.
Best deal that I've seen but ideally need a 10ltr can with a spout attachment to decant into as these are just normal cans. Works out at under £11 per 10ltr.
Was quick next day free delivery when I got some last year.
They do lesser quantities.

Alterative with a 20ltr spout can. under £14 per 10ltr. Free delivery

Last edited:
Blimey our local MFG filling station is £~35 for 10 litres, MFG own brand, though it was expensive.

49 euro for 10 litres at a motorway service station near Memmingen Germany.

Ledbury & Malvern Aldi have 10l Carlube Addblue £16.99p Offer was on 14 February IIRC.
Your local one may still have it.

15 Euro for 10L incl shipping on Amazon.de

I have kept an incomplete record of my AdBlue refills since March 2018.

March 2018 €0.50/L
May 2018 €0.35/L
Sep 2018 £0.72/L
Feb 2019 £0.79/L
Jun 2019 €0.60/L
Oct 2019 £Free
Feb 2020 £0.809/L
Sep 2020 £0.809/L
Feb 2021 £Free
Aug 2021 £0.979/L
Missing record
Missing record
Aug 2022 £1.619/L
Mar 2023 £1.499/L

I’ve always refilled at pumps, or asked VW to refill free of charge and have never had a problem using pumps at HGV areas.

AdBlue at pumps is about half the price in the EU as it is in Britain, and this was true pre-Brexit.

f563cfdddb2aba2b5df42da27270be58.jpg

Screenshot of my records of my most recent AdBlue refills.

Best deal that I've seen but ideally need a 10ltr can with a spout attachment to decant into as these are just normal cans. Works out at under £11 per 10ltr.
Was quick next day free delivery when I got some last year.
They do lesser quantities.

Alterative with a 20ltr spout can. under £14 per 10ltr. Free delivery

Thank you for all suggestions - top one here is the winner, order placed.

I read that if stored below 30 Deg C its 12 months. as per ISO 22241-3 standards.
Longer as the temperature reduces, 10 Deg C and below is 36 months so all in all in the UK I would be happy to go 16 months without worry if stored in ......say a garage out of the sunlight.

Back