Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adblue software update

Billywizz

Billywizz

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all, my van is going for a service next week and have the option of having the Adblue software update carried out.
I know there is a thread already but doesn’t give me the answers I’m after, any help would be much appreciated.
1. The engine was designed to run how the van was from new, If this was best for the engine why wasn’t it set up like this from new.
2. Apart from using more Adblue are there any other negatives.
3. The positive is the environment but is that the only positive.
4. If tried calling 3 different dealers and they all said something different so I’m none the wiser.

thanks in advance

If you buy a computer with soft and firmware. Why would you bother updating them?

They designed the software for the product, but on the go, they found out that under certain circumstances, the software doesn't do what it is supposed to do. Or the engine doesn't react good in certain cases, or the pollution is too much for whatever reason. Then they are putting out new software to resolve issues you as a customer weren't aware of.
Yes, the hardware can react different to the firmware as you were used to.

If you update your iPhone to the latest software, there will be some features extra, or gone. This is just the same, but in a different environment.

You are always free to refuse a recall, but in the end, there will always be a reason, and not always in favour of the customer.

If VW is fined for too much pollution if they don't bring out the software, they surely will get their acts together to get hold of that software, so they can get away from the fine (millions), but if you as a customer refuse that update, there is a responsibility in your name for not having it done.

I am not forcing anyone to let it be done, but there is always a reason why, but they won't always explain with the real reason. In certain cases they will give an answer, but not the real reason.

And not only VW.

If you buy a computer with soft and firmware. Why would you bother updating them?

They designed the software for the product, but on the go, they found out that under certain circumstances, the software doesn't do what it is supposed to do. Or the engine doesn't react good in certain cases, or the pollution is too much for whatever reason. Then they are putting out new software to resolve issues you as a customer weren't aware of.
Yes, the hardware can react different to the firmware as you were used to.

If you update your iPhone to the latest software, there will be some features extra, or gone. This is just the same, but in a different environment.

You are always free to refuse a recall, but in the end, there will always be a reason, and not always in favour of the customer.

If VW is fined for too much pollution if they don't bring out the software, they surely will get their acts together to get hold of that software, so they can get away from the fine (millions), but if you as a customer refuse that update, there is a responsibility in your name for not having it done.

I am not forcing anyone to let it be done, but there is always a reason why, but they won't always explain with the real reason. In certain cases they will give an answer, but not the real reason.

And not only VW.
Thanks very much

There has been quite a bit wrote on here about the update, i
think i ended up concluding that if i had the option then i wouldn't
do it.
@flying banana might want to add something.

Hi all, my van is going for a service next week and have the option of having the Adblue software update carried out.
I know there is a thread already but doesn’t give me the answers I’m after, any help would be much appreciated.
1. The engine was designed to run how the van was from new, If this was best for the engine why wasn’t it set up like this from new.
4. If tried calling 3 different dealers and they all said something different so I’m none the wiser

thanks in advance
On your questions:

>> look up the history of the VW 2 L engine. They have been flogging the same unit for quite some time :) it is the same base unit they use in many of their models. In its base form it is a very reliable engine.

>> none that we have heard of. Also, remember, the software system on the T6 is much less complex than on the T6.1 so not much that can go wrong/be modified. It is the engine management system that works on a set of sensors and all they can do it play around with those values.

>> additional adblue is just what we know of ... but the reduction in the claimed bhp from 204 to 199 also can mean that the engine is running a little bit less stressed. Good for the engine that way.

4. If tried calling 3 different dealers and they all said something different so I’m none the wiser.
>> let us know what each one said. maybe there is some learning in that?

Had mine done over a year ago no change in performance or fuel consumption uses a bit more adblue but that is to be expected.

thanks in advance
Only one positive and thats Nox emissions everything else is neutral or negative. Wasnt done originally as this is recognised as dieselgate 2, basically it doesnt put enough add blue in at cruise as a selling point on Add blue consumption.
Hard to know for sure but the drop from 204 to 199 will be hiding something and is most likely emissions / number of regens related so worse fuel consumption. Some have reported this.
Unlikely a disaster like the emissions fix software is (non add blue engines) but I wouldnt go for it myself but I didnt get a choice mine was 199 on delivery.

Limited mileage on mine since Adblue update back in Feb.

Range indication now very innacurate., ie
First trip to France after update when approx 800 mile trip done went from 4500 to 2500.
Second trip with approx 680 miles 4500 to 3500.

No noticeable change in fuel consumption. Performance did feel as if it had lost top end response and put a few more gear changes on my regular route to/in France..
Now been remapped to 255PS so can't compare any longer.

I had it done as I'd rather have a clean exhaust system than a potentially sooted up problematic one.
For Covid-19 reasons mileage has been very low compared to normal.

Only one positive and thats Nox emissions everything else is neutral or negative. Wasnt done originally as this is recognised as dieselgate 2, basically it doesnt put enough add blue in at cruise as a selling point on Add blue consumption.
Hard to know for sure but the drop from 204 to 199 will be hiding something and is most likely emissions / number of regens related so worse fuel consumption. Some have reported this.
Unlikely a disaster like the emissions fix software is (non add blue engines) but I wouldnt go for it myself but I didnt get a choice mine was 199 on delivery.
Thanks, I’m thinking the same!

Does anyone know at what point the software update for Adblue was no longer needed?

Our March 2019 van went in for its first service recently and they said there were no updates showing. Presumably this means it was programmed to use more Adblue in the first place?

Wasn't done or mentioned by the dealer.
I read about on here and it was a request by me for the update.
If I hadn't known about the free Adblue fill up process that also wasn't mentioned. Haven't actually had any as yet.

Think that it would be correct that it's not applicable to yours.

Our March 2019 van went in for its first service recently and they said there were no updates showing. Presumably this means it was programmed to use more Adblue in the first place?
I would say yours was done before you picked it up in 2019.

Thanks - just missed out on the free adblue top-ups :sorry

Limited mileage on mine since Adblue update back in Feb.

Range indication now very innacurate., ie
First trip to France after update when approx 800 mile trip done went from 4500 to 2500.
Second trip with approx 680 miles 4500 to 3500.

No noticeable change in fuel consumption. Performance did feel as if it had lost top end response and put a few more gear changes on my regular route to/in France..
Now been remapped to 255PS so can't compare any longer.

I had it done as I'd rather have a clean exhaust system than a potentially sooted up problematic one.
For Covid-19 reasons mileage has been very low compared to normal.
As and aside, how do you find the remap? I’m thinking of getting my year old Ocean remapped from 150 to approx 180-200bhp. Any worries about DSG clutch etc?

I think it coincided with the 199 introduction. Mine was one of the first so built in late 2018 sat waiting for certification and registered Jan 2019. No free top ups.

As and aside, how do you find the remap? I’m thinking of getting my year old Ocean remapped from 150 to approx 180-200bhp. Any worries about DSG clutch etc?
Do have to be a bit more careful on pulling away, wasn't exactly slow at 204PS but proverbial scalded cat now. I found that my brain needed a remap to get used to how quickly any speed limit is reached.
Mostly doesn't seem to make much of a difference to gearchanges, none really other than how quickly it gets into top gear especially going uphill. 2/3rd up as opposed to at the top previously.

Very limited use this past year so can't give a true long term report. No difference in long run mpg figure. Multi-roundabout route has expected drop in mpg but still nearly 30mpg.

Biggest gain is in being able to control the speed on the accelerator pedal, used to be very sluggish pedal response. Previously my description was 'put your foot down a little-no response-foot down a bit more-Oh! you want to go faster response - overshoot the required speed - back off - repeat the process etc.

Pendle claim to stay within VW's design safety tolerances which was why I went for their remap.

Why not get the DSG mapped as well? I have the TVS driveability upgrade on ours and its amazing.

Thought the regen was time based rather than mileage based, every two hours I was led to believe, if that’s the case the estimated mileage will change, our update was done this summer not noticed any difference, never got the free top ups and I did ask and the tech who did the job said it was to eliminate the overfilling issue !! Not going to test that one...

Thought the regen was time based rather than mileage based, every two hours I was led to believe, if that’s the case the estimated mileage will change, our update was done this summer not noticed any difference, never got the free top ups and I did ask and the tech who did the job said it was to eliminate the overfilling issue !! Not going to test that one...
No, it based on the ash level as measured by a differential sensor each end of the DPF.

No, it based on the ash level as measured by a differential sensor each end of the DPF.
Even if that is the case again the amount of ash would depend on fuel quality and driving style not mileage?

I've found that a few miles in 4th gear, manual, at 70mph reduces the frequent regens.
Gives it a blow through.

Back