Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adding a slide out drawer in the beach.

S

Solgal

VIP Member
My partner is very keen to create a large sliding drawer at the rear of our beach. I've shown him the various options of pods around but he prefers to keep it simpler than that and have one giant pull out box. Currently we use a series of curved boxes but seem to get disorganised quickly when these are decanted into the awning. The organisation of the beach is something that always seems to be a problem with our trips! We realise that part of the problem is we try taking too much stuff!
He's tried phoning various people to see if he can get something made but hasn't found anyone. (We live in the midlands.
Any thoughts or ideas gratefully received!

There are a number of products that are aimed at the overland market which are pull out drawers on sliders. Google black widow an Australian company as an example, there are also a few uk manufacturers that also do this but buying a readymade product is still expensive.
I made a pullout frame that held euro boxes but that in itself was quite heavy and also removes some of the space available.

I'll return to this post later with some links when I get to my desk.

A bit later..... Like this http://www.direct4x4.co.uk/types/dr...ut-800mm-drawer-system-with-fridge-slide.html

Last edited:
Slidepod do a pull out draw for the boot. You might find the pull put trays by people like California camping more versatile as you decide what boxes etc to put on it though.

You can get 4x4 mods to do that kind of thing but they can be scarily expensive.

As per Dave it depends how refined you want it. You can get the big trays at some of the shows, I looked at them but they were a couple of hundred quid and I wasn't sure how well they would fit in a beach. I didnt know Cali campig did them.

At the moment we use a couple of really useful boxes (64l) but its not perfect but better than nothing.

@SlidePods do a drawer on the rail system which I've been tempted by (kind of like slidepod but without the kitchen and sink etc) and I have seen one in action very handy for day to day. Means you can use the whole front to back space more easily because you can slide it out on the rails to access the back rather than unpacking everything..

I have been thinking about this for a while as a DIY project. I have found slides here http://www.eurofitdirect.co.uk/46mm-ball-bearing-slides/. It requires angle line supports to mount the slides on and some way of attaching to the rail system and an aluminium tray. I hope to turn my attention to this when I retire. Someone may be able to point me to a source of suitable rail mounting bolts. The rest can be constructed reasonably easily I imagine. The Swiss unit is EXPENSIVE :(

You can get the bolts for the multiflex board from vw. I don't think they are that expensive for once! Plenty have used them to mount homemade kitchen pods.

The Betsy from Romke is inspirational. Great idea and well executed, and easily adapted to suit others needs. I had not seen that thread before as I'm quite new to the forums so thanks for reposting!

Rather than the side mounted runners you could use undermount runners instead. They are more expensive but I've found the side mount runners unreliable in the long term.

The Betsy from Romke is inspirational. Great idea and well executed, and easily adapted to suit others needs. I had not seen that thread before as I'm quite new to the forums so thanks for reposting!
Yes - it's amazing!

Rather than the side mounted runners you could use undermount runners instead. They are more expensive but I've found the side mount runners unreliable in the long term.

I have ordered runners for ecsacly that, to make a more easy and slick vary. But the sliders has to be so big and heavy, to bear the load when on the side, so they are not able to fit right easy. Especially on the right side, where the slider is very close to the sidewall in the back. So i returned the sliders again.

We brought out a "slide out draw pod" a little while ago called the utility pod. The idea was to sell it as an upgrade to accompany our kitchen pods. Meaning when you didnt need the kitchen you could remove it, leave the casing in place and install the utility pod. We have found however that it is common that people want a utility pod and casing without a kitchen so now offer it as a stand alone unit aswell. Obviously we make it from lightweight furniture board in our full colour range and it is rated to 70kg load.

We brought out a "slide out draw pod" a little while ago called the utility pod. The idea was to sell it as an upgrade to accompany our kitchen pods. Meaning when you didnt need the kitchen you could remove it, leave the casing in place and install the utility pod. We have found however that it is common that people want a utility pod and casing without a kitchen so now offer it as a stand alone unit aswell. Obviously we make it from lightweight furniture board in our full colour range and it is rated to 70kg load.
What's the price of the utility pod?

I dropped an email and was quoted £700 + delivery. I thought the Swiss one was expensive! I'm not sure that the function of a drawer would ever justify this cost ... there's certainly demand for something simple and not too costly.

First prototype in the making and mounted ;-)

There are so many small details to optimize to reach a simple and slick, but still strong and light construction. For the first prototype, we used L-Profile aluminium in 3 and 2 mm, and 9 mm plywood for the bottom in the drawer.

Thru the process we gained a lot of ideas for optimization, and the next prototype, will be slightly different.

For now, this P1 is mounted in our Ocean, ready for 4 weeks on the road testing. We are leaving for a trip to Corsica, La Maddalena and Sardegna very soon.

When we come back, we will build the P2 and hopefully we will be able build a small batch ;-)

IMG_3875.JPG IMG_3876.JPG IMG_3877.JPG IMG_3878.JPG IMG_3879.JPG

There are so many small details to optimize to reach a simple and slick, but still strong and light construction. For the first prototype, we used L-Profile aluminium in 3 and 2 mm, and 9 mm plywood for the bottom in the drawer.

Thru the process we gained a lot of ideas for optimization, and the next prototype, will be slightly different.

For now, this P1 is mounted in our Ocean, ready for 4 weeks on the road testing. We are leaving for a trip to Corsica, La Maddalena and Sardegna very soon.

When we come back, we will build the P2 and hopefully we will be able build a small batch ;-)

View attachment 14699 View attachment 14700 View attachment 14701 View attachment 14702 View attachment 14703

View attachment 14699 View attachment 14700 View attachment 14701 View attachment 14702 View attachment 14703
Looks really good. For daily use its ideal bcuase it means heavy shopping bags can be just thrown on, rather than having to lift them up high and placed inside. Thanks for the photos

I dropped an email and was quoted £700 + delivery. I thought the Swiss one was expensive! I'm not sure that the function of a drawer would ever justify this cost ... there's certainly demand for something simple and not too costly.

Please bear in mind that our product is completely different to the swiss one.... at around £500 + shipping. All our pods are made from lightweight furniture board (there are 2 full sheets in a utility pod) which costs well in excess of £100 per sheet. then there are all the components on top of that, the machining cost of the sheets, the labour, insurance we pay as a business, workshop rent + rates, advertising costs, VAT, income tax etc etc. To be honest we hold the price of the utility pod down because I agree it seems expenceive for what on the face of it is just a draw. We only ever designed it as an upgrade to our slidepods, not as a stand alone unit but there is demand for it as a stand alone unit so we make them when we are asked to.

Not a criticism of your pricing, not at all ... if anything, the two products highlight the challenges of bringing affordable products to market in 2016. My observation is simply that adding a rear slideout (SlidePod of California Camping) is an expensive proposition but I would really, really like one!

Back