Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adding a slide out drawer in the beach.

This looks just what we are looking for - will be very interested to see your postings!

I have already posted picts of the first prototype in this thread. I will be building the new one start august ;-)

I've been busy also with a few mods for my beach,my wife wanted a big watersuply Not finished yet but gettin thereimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I have already posted picts of the first prototype in this thread. I will be building the new one start august ;-)
Interested in your experience as I want to do something similar for the dog cage I will be making for the back of our Beach, so it can slide out, give access to RCD, (which I believe is tucked away in the nearside cuby hole in the back) etc, and, potentially, have them in a boot mounted awning whilst we sleep downstairs.
In particular how have you fixed to the Cali rails and then fix the runners to you brackets, and where did you source the locking runners?
What sort of weight will it hold when extended?
Still all in my head, but would welcome any ideas.

Interested in your experience as I want to do something similar for the dog cage I will be making for the back of our Beach, so it can slide out, give access to RCD, (which I believe is tucked away in the nearside cuby hole in the back) etc, and, potentially, have them in a boot mounted awning whilst we sleep downstairs.
In particular how have you fixed to the Cali rails and then fix the runners to you brackets, and where did you source the locking runners?
What sort of weight will it hold when extended?
Still all in my head, but would welcome any ideas.

I have been working on two models. The one on the pics with the sliders mounted on the sides, made like a normal drawer. And another more simple construction, where heavier sliders is laying down and a simple plate in top. No sides. That would be better for a cage i think.

the sliders comes in all strengths and sizes. The one I have they hold about 130 kg a pair. The ones for the plate-construction holds 150 kg - even the are on the side. But they are also al lot heavier.

To the construction, you can get some inspiration here, that might give you a better idea, rather than I try ti explain ;-) mine its more slick. Put the basic principle is similar.

http://bau-ich-mir-selbst.de/selbstbauanregung-heckauszug-fuer-vw-t5-t6-california-multivan/

I have been working on two models. The one on the pics with the sliders mounted on the sides, made like a normal drawer. And another more simple construction, where heavier sliders is laying down and a simple plate in top. No sides. That would be better for a cage i think.

the sliders comes in all strengths and sizes. The one I have they hold about 130 kg a pair. The ones for the plate-construction holds 150 kg - even the are on the side. But they are also al lot heavier.

To the construction, you can get some inspiration here, that might give you a better idea, rather than I try ti explain ;-) mine its more slick. Put the basic principle is similar.

http://bau-ich-mir-selbst.de/selbstbauanregung-heckauszug-fuer-vw-t5-t6-california-multivan/
Great thanks.
Where did you buy your runners from?

I have a large collection of runners saved from rack mounted servers over the years, there are always many on Fleabay, search for rack rails.

If you want to lay them on their side underneath, like I am planning to, the larger rails have good overlaps to stop the rails springing out.

Just come across your post. Did you post any images of your version?

Actually, I never made more than my own prototype – but I am very happy with it. It does make a huge difference in the use of the booth. The Box-system is from IKEA.

The runners ended up being ordered from www.teleskopschienen24.de (@Stoneybroke)

IMG_3875.JPG IMG_3878.JPG IMG_3879.JPG IMG_3955.JPG

Looks really good. I think it's a great idea to make it easy to access everything without having to unload everything.

Please bear in mind that our product is completely different to the swiss one.... at around £500 + shipping. All our pods are made from lightweight furniture board (there are 2 full sheets in a utility pod) which costs well in excess of £100 per sheet. then there are all the components on top of that, the machining cost of the sheets, the labour, insurance we pay as a business, workshop rent + rates, advertising costs, VAT, income tax etc etc. To be honest we hold the price of the utility pod down because I agree it seems expenceive for what on the face of it is just a draw. We only ever designed it as an upgrade to our slidepods, not as a stand alone unit but there is demand for it as a stand alone unit so we make them when we are asked to.

Absolute fair comment.
I've looked at building my own and the runners/sliders which can hold the weight and lock in and out are not cheap. I think I found some for £150 a pair. Then the rest of materials on top I'm sure its looking like £350 just for materials alone

Absolute fair comment.
I've looked at building my own and the runners/sliders which can hold the weight and lock in and out are not cheap. I think I found some for £150 a pair. Then the rest of materials on top I'm sure its looking like £350 just for materials alone

And it is still a lot cheaper than the kitchen mounted in the Ocean and Coast, that - as far as i recall from the Factory visit - was about three times the price of the slidepod :)

I like the Swiss tray & it didn't seem all that outrageous (through the messed-up kaleidoscope lens that is Cali accessory pricing ...) when you think about what's gone into it - though obvs I've not looked into shipping costs to the UK yet. I am driving through Switzerland in September though, so I'm pondering ...

The state of my house after being here 7-years suggests that I may not ever get round to making one, and I think it would be a very very difficult item to get right for those without the skills / kit / workspace / time.

That's my biggest problem, finding the time :confused:

Finally got round to building a rack.
Big thanks to those peeps who PMed me some info, kudos...
I just have the flooring to fit onto the board. The rack canbe removed easily with the 4 screw down bolts fitted to the rails.
Thankfully the new Webasto compressor fridge fit's under the multiflex, which was a worry because I didn't have much room to get it into the space there.
Will update with a few more pics once I have my camping kit back in.
Haven't camped for a month, but have a trip to northern Spain start of September to test it all out.

:cheers

IMG_5929.JPG IMG_5931.JPG IMG_5932.JPG

Last edited:
It's all working out perfectly.
Next up. I have a Weber go anywhere gas but not totally convinced. Wondering about the Cadac safari...???
IMG_5974.JPG IMG_5975.JPG

I have just ordered a pair of the 864mm drawer slides basically because there are a few times in the year I need to have a bit more room to fit my 8 yr old lads electric jeep thingy we have built together which is an ongoing project currently...

I'm planning to construct a frame to carry 2 sliding trays side by side so I can have a lift in / out kitchen pod on one & storage on the other enabling us to just pull out the kitchen pod independently.

Robo, I was going to do the same. However the cost of the slides put me off.
On the plus side, only have one slide maximises space across the rear platform.

Show us some pics of your finished rack.
Be good to see:thumb

Back