Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advertising

If anyone thinks the ads are bad on the forum when viewed through a browser, try viewing through Tapatalk!
There are some crazy ads on there including an ever changing series of ads involving Gary Lineker. Don't know how they get away with it!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You can't really say VWCC should be free because other forums are free; it's like going into a newsagents and asking for a copy of The Times (or whatever) for free because your local paper is free! If you're happy with the free paper that's great, but if you want to do The Times crossword you have to buy a copy!

Actually it is free as said on the homepage:
"You too can join our very friendly group of VW T4, T5, T6 and Beach California owners and enthusiasts for free"

I completely agree with all the comments that £13 is good value for VIP membership - but it isn't really the point. I was asking why last year non VIP members could reply to adverts and now they can't. I agree the site owner can do whatever they want - though if the page describing VIP privileges had been updated to reflect this change I would have accepted it (and been disappointed) but never have posted and got in for this tit for tat.

All the replies to my original post are from VIP members - mostly implying I should just pay up. I agree with all the arguments put forward but that doesn't mean we can't have a debate about what free membership includes or perhaps whether there even should be free membership.

I used to be a VIP member and may well join again but not when I feel like I'm being pressured into it.

There is no pressure to be a VIP member and as previously stated non members can contact Administrators for bidding. With respect to all it is the VIP members contributions which enable the forum to not just survive but flourish and if £13 is too much for a year subscription nothing can be said.

@stephen watson , there has been some changes in the permissions VIP vs. Non-VIP a while ago . These are made by the admins . Don't know if it is written somewhere , but feel free to point out where you can read anything that is not within' the normal . If this info is not up-to-date and still visible on the forum please let this know.

@stephen watson , there has been some changes in the permissions VIP vs. Non-VIP a while ago . These are made by the admins . Don't know if it is written somewhere , but feel free to point out where you can read anything that is not within' the normal . If this info is not up-to-date and still visible on the forum please let this know.

Thank you Hotel California. I'd just like to say that I think this forum is great and realise that a lot of work goes on behind the scenes by moderators and administrators, for which I am very grateful. The only anomaly for me is that I can't find anywhere that firstly you need to be a VIP to reply to an advert and secondly apparently you can email admin to bypass this. I found this out accidentally last night when I emailed membership and was very quickly given the email address of the poster of the advert I wanted - which was fantastic service.

I have a couple of other suggestions for whoever is in charge:

Ady77 mentions that he would only like VIPs to be able to respond to adverts and although I don't particularly agree I can see his point. A compromise might be something along the lines of only VIPs for the first week and then open it up to others? We let a room out in our house through spare room.com and they have something like that there which seems to work well.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that after being encouraged numerous times by various VIPs to cough up (English slang to pay!) I felt like a second class citizen. I know it's only a name but Very Important Person can only promote division - perhaps it's time to move into the 21st century and have something like Full membership and Lite membership?

Many forums I use call the upgraded membership VIP, to be honest I cant believe this thread is actually happening !!

£13 and a title...you can't put a price on feeling important :thumb

You could be an Elite Member for £20
Or an Aristocratic Member £50
Or One could be a Royal Member £100

;)