Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice about the Cadac Safari Chef 30 BBQ.

L

Laura Hill

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi

I’m thinking about getting myself a Cadac Safari Chef 30 but I don’t know whether I should opt for the LP or HP variant.

Does anyone have any insight into why one might be preferable to the other?

Also, if you already have either the LP or HP BBQ do you regret your choice and wish you had bought the other model?

Sometimes there is just too much choice.

Thank you.

We chose the HP (screw in gas bottles) as we wanted something that was always readily portable, easy to replace, and no need to disconnect/reconnect the gas bottle in the rear of our California.

The benefit is that it means we can take our Cadac anywhere, without having to lug around one of the larger cylinders. Equally, we can put it anywhere on our pitch, whilst also having the California still connected up to the little 'big boy' (907) in the cupboard.

The downside is it does eat up more gas than the LP equivalent, but we use it infrequently and so any savings are marginal.

We did a fair bit of thinking as to which we wanted and needed, as you're right - too much choice can be a bad thing. But if you focus on use case, that'll guide you in the right direction. For us, portability, flexibility and ease were top of the list.

Using just the gas in the van? LP.
Using just gas cans? HP.
Using both? Get LP and a seperate HP regulator.

We did the latter.

Thank you CamperFan & dspuk/Dave for your helpful replies. I like the idea of being able to use LP or HP so might go down that route.

What we're doing with ours (and is fairly common) is to carry a spare 907 or even 904 around, use that with the Cadac but it will still function as a spare bottle for the van if you need it, giving you chance to find somewhere to swap cylinders.

get LP with quick release and both regulators.
then optionally convert the cali to use quick release so that you can use the disposable bottles in the van at a push

What we're doing with ours (and is fairly common) is to carry a spare 907 or even 904 around, use that with the Cadac but it will still function as a spare bottle for the van if you need it, giving you chance to find somewhere to swap cylinders.
Same here, 907 as a spare/cadac . I was thinking about swapping my 907 for a 904 but my supplier said the 904 would soon be unavailable.

Same here, 907 as a spare/cadac . I was thinking about swapping my 907 for a 904 but my supplier said the 904 would soon be unavailable.
I had the second 907 before I got the Cadac so an easy decision here :)

Are you sure. I got the cadac 2 cook 3 pro. Easier shape to.transport in my opinion and with the two burners amd the paella dish you've loads of options you don't get with the safari.

Using just the gas in the van? LP.
Using just gas cans? HP.
Using both? Get LP and a seperate HP regulator.

We did the latter.
This is the correct advice :thumb

Are you sure. I got the cadac 2 cook 3 pro. Easier shape to.transport in my opinion and with the two burners amd the paella dish you've loads of options you don't get with the safari.This
This is a really interesting alternative. You made me doubt my plan to buy a safari chef haha

The Safari might be a little more difficult to pack than the 2 cook but it is much handier in windy situations. Keeps the warmth under the pan better as well. We have the paella pan also. Fits perfectly on the Safari and can be used indoors as well. For gas we use the spare 907.

Most reviews i read is that wind is not a problem due to the side wind screens. My main reasoning would be that having 2 hobs is a huge win over the single one from the safari.

As said. this post made me doubt ;)

If you want to enjoy the best of both worlds, then there is this option.

So you also dont bother with the outside table and chairs because there is a table and chairs in a cali?

Personal choices at the end of the day. I like the design and shape of the Safari, particularly the fact it's on legs so can easily stand alone (admittedly low down!) without taking up table space - to me it suits for outside cooking and I would happily use the hobs inside if I desperately needed more cooking capacity. Others may want to prioritise the two-burner unit. I like the way the safari chef is self contained; get the pro version and you've got BBQ/hotplate/large pan/lid etc. all contained in a single carrybag and which are all optimised to work with the windshield of the burner itself.

So you also dont bother with the outside table and chairs because there is a table and chairs in a cali?
Odd response, which I guess is to my post but you haven't replied specifically.

No, I use both. Which is what my post says. I use both. The Cadac out and the hob in. Depending on weather etc.

Response was indeed to yours. Most forums dont like if you quote posts if its directly above. This to prevent endless pages.

Just found your comment a bit funny :)

I understand you use both, but when i cook outside i prefer not needing to also use the inside hobs. Most of the time you need 2 so having it makes sense to me.

Main benefits i see:
  1. 2 hobs for when you need them
    1. No need to split cooking between in and out
  2. Easy packing with square and low dimensions
  3. fits on outside table with low profile for sitting next to it
Downsides
  1. less of a "bbq feeling"
  2. Bigger package but that depends on how you pack